“Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Wyvill Arms

The Wyvill Arms
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Wyvill Arms loves to look after its friends and guests.To ensure you are kept informed of our special offers, "Like us" on Facebook.
North yorkshire
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Ate here with friends and had a very pleasant Sunday Lunch. Our party sampled the roast beef, pork and lamb, all of which were very good but the beef was the star of the show. Very good Yorkshire pudding too. Vegetables were good and well cooked but if I had a criticism it would be that more seasonable veg would have been nicer rather than courgettes and green beans, but that is a personal choice and minor. Puddings were good too with top marks to the sticky toffee pudding. Good value in a very pleasant dining room.

• Visited January 2014

Scotland
“Great welcome and better food !!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Well worth a visit if you are in the area. Great menu of local produce cooked to order and served with a smile. Also a bonus of real ales again from the local area.

• Visited August 2013
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Second visit - don't know if there will be a third”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I don't know if it was me being a tad tetchy, because I was tired, but it just didn't seem as good as our first visit.

Our friends had booked a table this time, as a treat for us.and nobody opted for starters.

For mains, 2 had steaks - which were exceptional, as you would expect here. Its no good having first rate meat if the chef can't cook it - and he can - but £3.50 as an extra on top of the price for the steak - for tomato, mushrooms, onion rings and salad leaves (which we didn't opt for), is a little over the top.

Another main was the fish and chips, another the chicken - no complaints there. The venison was stunningly good, my friend let me taste it and it was 'melt in the mouth' gorgeous.

Onto my own meal. The salmon fish cake @ £12.50 as a main. As I said earlier, it must be me - I hate paying money for something I could make better myself at home - and I do in this case.

Quantity was plentiful, quality was not. I would rather have had smaller fish cakes that tasted of something - anything. They didn't look good - they didn't taste good. Could only eat half of one of them and asked for a 'doggy' bag for the rest - which we fed to the dogs!!

Desserts and coffee were good and the service couldn't be faulted. However, Mrs mother of the chef - owner - whatever - sort out the till - I shouldn't have to tell you that I had been undercharged £1.50 for the bottle of wine I purchased - which at £16.50 was still reasonably priced.

The highlight for me, was meeting a lovely couple in the bar area, with a dog called Travis. It must be a huge plus when your on holiday, to be able to take your dog with you when you go out for a meal.

• Visited August 2013
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Gordon & Jackie Bannister. Bradford”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The accommodation and food at this friendly pub is of a good standard.
The owner. his mum and all the staff made every effort to look after us on our short 3 day break.
Good quality food and comfortable accommodation made it a very pleasant stay.
Thanks very much

• Visited June 2013
Leeds
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We were camping nearby so walked there when we heard they accepted dogs into the bar area, and were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were very polite and helpful, and the menu ranges were lovely and affordable. Drinks were nice too, with a good variety of ales available. Had a great night and came back the next day. Overall, we tried the scallops and black pudding salad, antipasto, lamb shank and lamb steak, and a trio of creme brûlées. All were fantastic, and the whole experience was lovely. We would stay again in the area, based on this pub alone.

Visited May 2013