“I just keep coming back and back!”
Review of Bendarroch House

and 1 more site!
Bendarroch House
Ranked #2 of 3 Strathtay B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, Scotland
“I just keep coming back and back!”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Bendarroch House is an absolutely charming period property set in an idyllic Perthshire location close by the village of Grandtully. After discovering this guesthouse less than 6 months ago, I have been back twice. For me, a visit here provides true escapism.

The property is set a 2 minute walk from Grandtully in beautiful and expansive riverside grounds. Inside the property is decorated in period style and, as well as a dining room, there are 2 guest lounges and a conservatory, which is open during the summer months.

This would not be the ideal choice for those looking for modern, hotel-style facilities as there are no televisions, hairdryers or kettles in the rooms. However, there are tea and coffee-making facilities in the conservatory or lounge (season-dependant!) and a television for guest-use in one of the lounges. Wireless internet access is also available on request.

Breakfast is served at 9am in the dining room and is ordered the night before. The options range from a full cooked breakfast to pancakes, omelette or (my choice) smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.

This is an ideal base to explore the beautiful surrounding countryside and the house is such a tranquil and romantic setting. The only thing interrupting the perfect calm is the soothing sound of water from the nearby river. On each occasion I have visited the house has been extremely quiet and I have hardly been aware of other guests.

I find the hostess very friendly and accommodating and it was not an issue when I let her know that I would be arriving slightly after the published check-in time.

Bendarroch House is my first choice of accommodation when I need to recharge the batteries for a night or two and never fails to disappoint. I think the tariff is incredibly modest for the quality of accommodation on offer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Middle England
Reviewed November 1, 2011

What a lovely place to go to unwind. No tv in the rooms so no-one keeping you awake with it on loud next door! Comfy beds! Beautiful conservatory with biscuits, coffee, various teas & fresh milk for you to have when you want. Ample breakfast with good choice, even pancakes with syrup for overseas guests. Owner was lovely too, if you want a good old fashioned pleasant B & B thats gives value for money this is the place for you. If you want hotel facilities then go to one & pay hotel prices!

Room Tip: We had a front room with a view & sound of the flowing river. Bakc rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarieShields
Glasgow
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Upon arriving at the guest house, no-one appeared after I rang the bell. A walk round the (lovely) house was unfruitful, and so I had to phone the owners to let me in. Brigitte, the German hostess, showed me to my room and told me that breakfast was served at 9am. I needed to leave shortly after 8am and so this was too late for me. There was no flexibility. Never before have I been in a B&B where I was told what time to appear for breakfast!
The room was adequate, if slighly dated. There was no TV, nor tea making facilities, no mirror in the room for drying hair, and the toiletries from Lidl cheapened the room. On a plus side, I had one of the best nights sleep ever. The soothing noise from the river outside, and no streetlighting ensured that I slept like a baby.
Tea and coffee making facilities are available in the conservatory, so in the morning I made a coffee and had a couple of pre-packed biscuits. These were spat out as they were soft and well out of date.
Potentially, this could be a fantastic boutique hotel. The views and baronial building are fantastic, but the place needs upgrading, modernising, and better service. The hotel's own website is bilingual - English and German, and I noted that a lot of the guests in the register were German. This is possibly the market that the hosts are aiming for.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank carlislecat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathtay
East Haugh House
#2 of 2 in Kinloch Rannoch
Rosemount Hotel
Rosemount Hotel
#9 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Bendarroch House? Share your experiences!