“Not always better than two in a bush”

The Bird In Hand Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Knowl Hill B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is a difficult hotel to review, not because it was uncomfortable, unfriendly or even inefficient, it was just, well ordinary, especially for the four star tag. But hey ho ordinary can be good for one night and we only chose the hotel because of the location anyway. A Premier inn might have been better had there been one nearby.

Moreover, the outdoor area seems to be used for parties and had we wished to have a quite hour before going out for the evening this would not have been impossible because a birthday party was raging outside, only feet from the room. One could hear raucous conversation and laughter; great for the party goers but not so good for residents wishing to rest.

May be check if there is a party on beforehand?

Room Tip: Try and be further away from the outdoor dining / drinking area
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
BirdInHandKnowlHill, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

I am really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Ordinary is not what we strive for and falling short of your expectations is disppointing for both you and us. Obviously you should have been advised of the party and i am looking into this. If you would like to discuss this further with me please do contact me on 01628826622.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great location, good size car park, Very clean hotel overall, we were upgraded to a suite whih was a lovely surprise and the room was 5* - just excellent. Beautifully decorated with excellent facilities, seperate roll top bath and shower. Breakfast and staff were fantastic, felt very welcome and relaxed.The first impressions of the outside of the hotel is disappointing and doesnt do the inside of the hotel any justice. They should get rid of the pub style chalkboards and put some better signs up. We would definitely stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and you will get one, as some rooms have traffic noise from the front,
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. It is always interesting to get feedback from our guests. Your point is noted about the outside and in particular the chalk boards. I am pleased everything else about your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here for a night as at a friends party. Plenty of parking and had a nice feel to it. Our room was a double but downstairs in the courtyard ground floor. So it was very cool and very comfortable, also very clean. The only problem was that is does state you can book in at 2pm, but our room wasn't ready till after 3pm. A staff member did say they would look into that as it should be 3pm not 2pm. A really nice breakfast and all staff very friendly. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarahphilcox

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to review us. I do apologise about the confusion over check in times and will ensure this is clarified.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently held my sons christening at the Bird and Hand Country Inn and I was very impressed! I booked the Bird in Hand without viewing it so I was slighty apprehensive about how the day would go but I shouldn't off been. When the party arrived we were all greeted by very friendly helpful staff who couldnt off done more and had smiles on thier faces all day, we were shown to the garden as I had booked a BBQ for 70. The food was beautiful and there was plenty off it and I had compliments about it from all my guests :-) I'm very pleased with the service I received and I would highly recommend the bird in hand to anyone considering holding an event.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for you lovely comments. Yes you were brave to book a christening with us without having viewed the venue- i am so pleased we did not disappoint.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Bird in Hand pub, a favourite of ours, has a warm old worldy feel and lovely welcoming staff. We always enjoy visiting here, particularly during the winter when it is nice to sit near the fire. There are plenty of parking spaces even though you can tell by the number of cars that this is a very popular place. Our last visit was to the restaurant for a special celebration meal. Food was good but we did feel the more formal atmosphere in the restaurant didn't quite live up to that in the more spacious and traditional bar area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments - it is always useful to have an objective point of view. Yes the restaurant is very different from the bar area which can be a little disconcerting. I am pleased you are still happy to come back.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Plenty of parking spaces, friendly welcoming staff, lovely rooms, powerfull shower, everything about this place is excellent, the breakfast is 10 out of 10. No complaints whatsoever, quality establishment with friendly staff, credit to whoever owns/runs it..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
BirdInHandKnowlHill, Owner at The Bird In Hand Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. It means a lot to me and my staff to get feed back from our guests ( good and bad). In this case your glowing review motivates us to continue to strive for perfection. Thanks You. Caroline Shone

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Another pleasant stay at the Bird in Hand, slightly downgraded from my last stay for 2 reasons; firstly the rooms were extremely stuffy (admittedly on one of the hottest nights of the year) even with both Velux windows open and air conditioning would be a good addition, and secondly the breakfast plates were extremely dirty. Apart from that, everything is still good and we also ate in the bar this time, the food was delicious and very nicely presented. I am sure we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments. Poor you having to suffer on such a hot night. I will ensure that fans are put in the rooms next time. Unfortunately only the luxury rooms and suites have air conditioning at the moment. Point noted about the plates and I apologise for this. I hope we will see you again. Caroline Shone

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knowl Hill
Hurley House Hotel
Hurley House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurley
Crazy Fox Boutique Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Bird In Hand Country Inn? Share your experiences!