• Beachfront
Kanagua Hotel(Ayangue)
  • Breakfast included
Kanus(Ayangue)
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 22, 2016 via mobile

After a 2 hour bus ride from guayaquil we showed up to this very quiet and beautiful beach town but when we arrived to the front gate, it was locked and we could not get in. We made several attempts and found the resort was completely empty with no one there. We waited for almost 3 hours then had to leave. Fortunately I was fully reimbursed since I had to pay for all my nights in advance. I was so very disappointed and have never experienced this in all my travels, I never received an explanation - I don't know if they have experienced this but we did notice others walked up but turned around since the gate was locked.
The resort next door was very amiable and had great beach view rooms and also on beach.

Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Jamie's bungalows are truly located in Paradise. We stayed at Muyuyo Lodge for 4 days after a week long trip in Salinas and it was the perfect place to unwind. You can hear the ocean from the room. The property is kept very clean and beautiful. Jamie was there to answer any of our questions and she speaks perfect english. The rooms were very clean, we had plenty of hot water, and if we needed anything they were there to assist us. Jamie is full of tons of local knowledge: where to eat, things to do, hikes, etc. My husband and I had a wonderful time at Muyuyo lodge. It was the perfect romantic getaway. Jamie was even kind enough to drop us off in Monglaralto. I highly recommend Jamie's place at Muyuyo lodge. Thanks for a great time, Jamie. We will see you again! :)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My husband and I went to Ayangue because we heard that the diving was meant to be good. There is not much information about Ayangue, nor are there any hotels advertised apart from this one that we could find although there is a really smart looking hotel being built on the beach. We booked our accomodation at Muyuyo Lodge based on the reviews here and elsewhere, but I do not think they tell the whole story and therefore I will be completely frank and objective.

To give the owner's credit, they are very good at promoting themselves on booking sites. We booked ours through Hostel World, only because my husband was able to book a double room from his phone app through this site. I was only able to see triple rooms+ from the web. I sent a message to them on Facebook about booking a double room, but I got no reply.

When we arrived Jamie (who speaks great English) checked us in and provided us each with a towel, some soap (which smelled really nice) and what I first thought was going to be a bottle of shampoo was in fact a bottle of insect repellent, plus a bug coil to burn in the evening. We thought that was very considerate.

We had a double room which was part of a very large cabana. The other room had a double bed with a double bunk. Both rooms shared a bathroom. However, we were told that we would have the whole place to ourselves, which we did. Our room contained a small table with a couple of drawers, a mini fridge, an air-conditioning unit and a microwave.

At first glance the place looks really lovely with all the natural materials used such as a grass roof and bamboo. There was also a private porch area with seating and a coffee table. There are plants and shrubs all around the property that make the whole place really attractive. The rooms were clean and tidy and there was plenty of hot water in the shower.

I am afraid that this is where I am going to get really picky. Considering my husband and I have worked in design, construction and building maintenance for many years, we tend to look at properties from a practical point of view and judge how well they work or don't, or where there could be improvement. So here are the pros and cons with suggestions to the owners.

So here goes:
The beds are really comfortable and they have mosquito nets. The mosquito net on our bed did not reach the floor. We weren't even able to tuck them in. It really ruined my sleep as mosquitos managed to get in and bite us, even with bug repellent. The mosquito nets really need to be longer.

There is an air conditioner in the room. The air conditioner is a complete waste of time. Firstly, all the rooms are open to the air. There are screens near the roof and louvered doors and windows every where which will not allow the rooms to contain cool air. Secondly, the unit is not vented, so while cold air comes out the front, hot air comes out the back at the same time. As there is no air circulation, we used the fan feature. Unfortunately, because we were unable to tuck in the mosquito net, we could not point the fan towards the bed, which would have kept us cool. We had to sleep with the sheets completely covering us so we wouldn't get bitten and as there is not much air flow in a bed surrounded by netting, we were hot and stuffy, hence no sleep.

Design: The design of the place looks great. However, on close inspection, it is not bug proof. The design is open air. Although there are bug screens near the roof, they have large gaps where they are attached to the round bamboo poles. You cannot fit straight/square things next to rounded edges without gaps. Same with the windows and doors. Also, the doors and windows are louvered. This allowed mosquitos to get in as well as other flying insects, a real problem when the lights were on. The solution would be to fill in the door and window gaps with a flexible filler and put some mosquito screens over the louvered parts of the windows and doors and find a better way of enclosing the roof area.

We stayed here in February 2014. Apparently this time of year is mosquito season. Considering it is also the time when many North Americans and Europeans might come and visit it might be a good idea to assist with this problem rather than just handing out mosquito repellents. After spending our day at the beach, with no mosquitos, I spent the evening hiding out in bed under the mosquito netting as it was too buggy on the veranda.

Also, as no one else was staying in the same place, it would have been nice to put us in the larger room, considering there is no place to put your bags or clothes. As it was, we put our bags on one of the spare beds anyway to keep them off of the floor and the ants.

The bin in the bathroom was only emptied once in the four days we spent here and the towels we were originally given were never replaced. We shouldn't have had to ask and we didn't. Considering we were at the seaside and needed to shower every day, that really let the service down. Oh, and there was no toilet paper. Thankfully we had some of our own!

I will say that there was a little accident one evening when I accidentally spilled a drink on the bed, but it didn't affect the mattress and I used some clean ones off of one of the spare beds. I placed the wet ones on the veranda to be collected, but they were still there when we got back from the beach. Jamie only came to our bungalow in the 4 nights we were there. When we tried to check out and drop off the keys, no one was there or answered the door, so we had to leave the keys on the bed.

Considering we were paying $50 per night, and there is no restaurant on the premises (we are ok about that), we thought the service could have been better. It felt like one step above camping out.

As for Ayangue itself: It is a lovely little calm bay. The place is heaving on the weekends and very quiet during the week. There is nothing to do here. We tried the diving, but it was only ok and didn't warrant any more time or money spent on it. The restaurants close at 5pm. They all serve very good seafood, but that's it. Wouldn't recommend more than 2 nights as you can't cook food in the evening and if you don't have a car, well, then you are stuffed. We ate our main meal late as possible before the beach restaurants closed. We made the most what we could out of what wasn't a great situation. The people are very nice, but I don't think that is enough to warrant staying here. I wish I could have been more positive.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tangodiver
Jamie B, Propietario at Muyuyo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Guest,
We are very sorry you didn’t have an excellent stay with us. In Muyuyo Lodge we work very hard to keep the property in great conditions and ensure an outstanding travel experience. I understand the main problem during your stay were mosquitoes. Unfortunately during rainy season all destinations in the coast of Ecuador are affected with that problem. We fumigate weekly and provide all of our beds with mosquito nets during this season but even so it’s hard to fight against nature.

All our ecocabins are open to the air to allow ventilation (as they don’t have air conditioner). We also have closed rooms/cabin with a/c available, but those weren’t the one you rented. The eco cabins have this outdoor living design to connect the guest with the surrounding gardens and nature. We are very sorry your mosquito net didn’t work properly though. We will be checking all of our nets to ensure quality.

About flaws in the service we do have to apologize to you as your stay coincided with the parting of our assistant manager which did influenced us negatively. We have solved all of our staff problems though and are back on track with the excellent service that has always defined us.

We are a little surprised that you compared your stay with camping as the cabin you stayed at had a DVD Player, internet wifi, hot water shower, microwave oven and mini refrigerator. We also allowed you to use the empty room next to yours with no additional charge for you to feel more comfortable and in a bigger space.

Nevertheless, please be sure that we take your comments very seriously and that we will work very hard to improve everyday and provide our guests with an ever better service.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Incredible service, clean, friendly, and super close to the beach. The beach is great for kids with very modest waves. Food on the beach is affordable and tasty. The proprietor Jamie works hard, speaks great english and is always there to help ...often going beyond what is necessary. Once you get over the open air nature of the cabana, it becomes endearing hearing the waves and birds outside. No real issues with bugs in her well maintained property.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you very much Denis..
We are very happy you had a great time with us and wish a safe trip home
Many blessings!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Amazing... Owner Jamie was super helpful, if you had a question or a problem she'd solve it or at least try with such a dedication. I'd have to agree with the review that says it's one of Ecuador's hidden treasure! The place is so relaxing, with a great view and breeze, plants everywhere and access to the beach! That par was amazing! Because Ayangue is not so known you avoid the tourist overwhelming overpopulation and enjoy a beach with just locals and super cheap native seafood gastronomy! This place It's a must!

• Stayed: August 2012