“Good catfish”

Gene's BBQ & Family Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 15 Restaurants in Brinkley
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Just ate at Gene's in Brinkley. On our way home from Pigeon Forge and needed a break from driving for the night. Place was recommended from the motel personnel. I had pulled pork. It wasn't very good but my husband had catfish and it was very good, so if you stop try the fish not the BBQ. The young lady that waited our table was a sweetheart.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was my first time in this restaurant and the last time.

I walk in and the man at the table said do you want to eat in or carrier out.

My server gave me a menu and said do you know what you want.

The service was very poor.

What happen to my name is and my I help you.

There are some places in the South that will never change because the peoples willn't change.

Yes, I did give her a tip.

carl

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have been to Gene's probably 15 to 20 times over the past few years......always stopping in 2 or 3 times a year when I drive thru Arkansas. This is an old mom and pop type place from the past that a man from Alabama told me had the best catfish fillets he had ever eaten. My first time there was in 2005 and the catfish was as good as advertised. This is the place where all the locals meet to eat and everything is fresh and cooked to order. I would definitely recommend the catfish(3 to 5 pieces depending on appetite), french fries, and homemade cole slaw. They will throw in fresh sliced onion, a cherry pepper, and pickles. If you like catfish, it doesn't get any better than Gene's. They also have homemade pepper sauce that they sell in jars to go and if you like pepper sauce it is unmatched. Gene and his staff are always polite and friendly and on more than one occasion he even thanked me for coming in even though he didn't know me from Adam's housecat!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Great variety. Excellent food. Friendly service. Very reasonable prices. Close to I-40 & Service Stations

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I'll need to preface this by saying that I have only been here one time, this past weekend. While I contemplated ordering the catfish, but since I've been in a bbq state of mind lately, I decided to try their barbecue. I ordered their bbq pork, along with beans, fries, and cole slaw (which I didn't try, because I'm a terrible person who doesn't like creamy cole slaw).

I really, really, really wanted to recommend this place. I love the exterior - there is nothing fancy about it whatsoever, but it's a funky kind of homemade low key and, in my past experiences, indicates that culinary treasures await inside. And, the interior, including a large mural of an ivory billed woodpecker, is fine. The food, however, left me wanting. The bbq pork itself had a "frozen-but-heated-in-the-microwave" flavor and texture. The fries were average. Two dried out dinner rolls were the bread selection. The beans were flavorless. I didn't try the cole slaw, so it could have been earth shatteringly delicious, but as I said above, I don't eat cole slaw.

The service was okay when I was ordering, but when I asked the young lady about directions inside town (I was there looking for Louis "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie" Jordan's birthplace), she seemed very inconvenienced that I'd dare to bother her with a question like that. She then disappeared back into the kitchen and I never saw her again.

I'll admit that I could have been in there on an off day, when things just didn't seem to click right. A couple of older ladies sitting at a table on the other side of the restaurant had to remind her server that they had ordered coffee. If I visit the area again, I might go back in and try the catfish, but I'd also search out the town for other dining options first.