“The Station Cafe”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
“The Station Cafe”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Good Food with a great selection of Breakfast and Lunch. You order as you enter, sit down in booths and tables and wait for your food. Located on the Bentonville Square.

Visited September 2013

Bella Vista, Arkansas
“A slice of Main Street America”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a great old fashion cafe. Angus beef burgers hand formed and cooked fresh. Large menu of delicious home style treats.. Always a daily special and fresh homemade pies! Stop in before or after a visit to the Wal Mart visitors center or Crystal Bridges Museum.

Visited September 2013
Belton, Texas
“Best burger”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It is really true that he burgers are the best, not only in Northwest Arkansas (as advertised), but also among the best anywhere.

Visited August 2013
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
“Good Breakfast?”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a quaint little cafe on the downtown square of Bentonville. It is next to the Walmart Visitor Center. My friend and I ate breakfast outside on the square. The food was very good and reasonably priced. There is a nice park area in the square which the cafe overlooks. Great way to start your day in Bentonville. It is a short walk from the 21C Hotel.

Visited July 2013
Bella Vista, Arkansas
“If it Doesn’t look like Quiche & Doesn’t smell like Quiche ~ for goodness sake Don’t call it Quiche”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

So sometimes you give a restaurant a second chance. That is exactly what we did on Saturday, August 17, 2013. Given that The Station Cafe is on the square in Bentonville, Arkansas and we wanted to be close to the evenings activities we decided it worth another try. Let's not fail to mention we were famished.

First off we were very pleased to see quiche on the menu ~ $7.90 ala carte and $11.40 with 2 sides. Though we were trying not to splurge too much financially, who could resist quiche and 2 sides. Eagerly we looked up at the board. The list of side items was tantalizing and quite varied. So much so that the $11.40 was totally justifiable to our purse strings. With a smile we finally stepped up to place our mouth watering order. Two veggie quiche's, an ice tea, a water, two fruit cups, a chili cheese fry, and an order of onion rings. Well ca~ching $32+. I nearly fell out and let me add not just from being hungry.

Quickly as one will do, I started to add up and rationalize things in my head. In spite of being on a lower end budget for the evening you have to be prepared to pay for what you ask for. Well, now in there lies the catch. Just as quickly, in my head I added up the fare. $11.40 x 2, that's about $23 rounded up, $2.25 on average for the tea and we are at roughly $25.25, kick in some tax and we are facing around $27.75. The cashiers friendly voice telling me $32+ just didn't sit well. I then glanced down and saw the order displayed on the back of the cash register. $11.40 x 2, the tea for $2+, no charge water, fruit cups no up charge, $2.20 onion rings, $0.85 cheese, and $0.85 chili. Lo and behold, were our two sides with each order not included in the $11.40 offered as a special pricing.

We questioned the very polite and very nice girl taking our order. We asked why our sides were charged additionally. She seemed taken aback and confused herself. Not because we questioned the order but because she didn't have answers. First she advised some of the sides have up charges. So naturally we asked which sides didn’t have up charges. Unfortunately she didn’t have an answer. I then noticed on the list of side items were two items listed as “sub.” I took it to mean they were different prices for sub sandwiches because there was not a period after the word sub. To be certain, I asked the girl what the “sub onion” was. She politely explained it was an up charge for the onion rings. In my opinion it would be better if the “sub” had a period after it to signify an abbreviation, since as I mentioned earlier they sell subs as well. Other than the two items stating “sub” there was no indication the side items were not all created equal.

Again we asked what items we could have with our order that didn’t have an up charge. The girl advised the onion rings, cheese, and chili all had charges associated with them ~ as per the receipt. We pressed her further and she stated the fries ala carte and fruit cup were included at no additional cost with our dinner choice. Again we asked what other items did not include an up charge. She still was not able to answer but was fast to ask a co~worker. She didn’t know either. Seems they were both new and we didn’t fault them for that. It was reassuring actually that they were honest and sought help. I do entirely fault the managers though for not making sure to properly train their employees before putting them behind the cash register. This was, I’m certain, embarrassing for them and entirely frustrating for us.
From there the girls asked the young manager and she explained that the only items with up charges were the onion rings, cheese, and chili. So we settled on two orders of quiche, two fruit cups, two fries, and a tea. Our total drop to $27+. Magnificent.

As for the meal, again I will say, if it doesn’t look like quiche and doesn’t smell like quiche ~ for goodness sake don’t call it quiche.

When I first realized there was something odd with the meal, it was because I didn’t notice any of the crust I long for with my quiche. I declared out loud, “perhaps the crust is just extremely thin!” Upon further exploration I found my quiche was fully devoid of the tradition pie crust. I could tell though it was baked in a pie pan, it had cheese on top, and a few shreds of veggies atop the fluffy eggs. That was it. Sorely disappointed we finished our meals all the while lamenting on the quiche and reading the signs around the restaurant. Over and over we read “voted best burgers.” From there we decided should we ever venture through the doors of The Station Cafe again it would only be for burgers.

The morale of the story is that sometimes we cannot expect more than what someone, or in this case a restaurant is known for. Which appears to be burgers in this case. Also if someone plans on serving crustless quiche, which of course is not the ever popular way of making it, it should be clearly noted the beloved pie crust is omitted. This would clearly have given us the opportunity to make an informed choice and ordered something else. Quite likely leaving the establishment on better terms and more willing to return.

As of now, I will be craving quiche till I venture out in search again.

P.S. ~ the fries were great, the water mellon totally awesome, the tea was perfect, and the grapes were great once I cut off the bad ends.

• Visited August 2013