“Beware of the "sometimes" smoking rooms”

Doubletree Suites Bentonville
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Bentonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“Beware of the "sometimes" smoking rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

A room is either smoking or non-smoking. It cannot be both.

I arrived late in the evening and noticed a stench in the room, but let it slide. The next night upon arriving back to the room, I noticed the same stench. And when I sat on the sofa, I saw a cigarette burn!

I called the front desk and they confirmed that this room was "sometimes" used as a smoking room. Sometimes? Apparently they crack a door and run a fan and call it good. They said they had no rooms to move me around.

Staff said they would note this on my account. Umm... it is on the profile from when the room was booked.

What if I was asthmatic? What if I had brought my kids? For $170/night I would like to have a room that doesn't smell like a late night at a bar.

The hotel was otherwise nice enough, no other complaints. Breakfast was fine. Dinner in the lounge was pretty good, if overpriced. Just be aware that if they send you down the hallway past the check-in, you are headed to "Sometimes" smoking rooms.

I likely won't have a choice where to stay on the next visit to town, but I guarantee you if I am stuck in a "sometimes smoking" room, I will demand a refund and find the next hotel on the street.

/end rant.

Room Tip: Make sure you specifically request, then confirm that you are getting a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wilbret
Michael J, General Manager at Doubletree Suites Bentonville, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I would like to apologize for the confusion with your reservation for a non-smoking room. We do at this time have six rooms in the hotel that are smoking rooms. In the event of a sell out we sometimes have to place non-smoking guests in smoking rooms. We do try to deodorize and ionize these rooms to the best of our ability prior to arrival. I would also like for you to know that as of 2013 the DoubleTree Suites Bentonville will become a 100% non-smoking hotel. We will of course have the six rooms that are currently smoking rooms deep cleaned and sanatized to include all bedding, fruniture, draperies, carpets, and bathrooms. We hope that should your travels bring you back to the area that you will once again choose our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Avon, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I am a Platinum member with Marriott and I have a lot of options under the Marriott umbrella in the Bentonville area, but I choose to stay at this Hilton property instead.
The facility is still fairly new and has been kept up nicely. It is a great location near everything, but not in the middle of the more congested areas. It is easily accessible from the airport, local corporate offices of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, and there is a Starbucks about a block away.
The concierge level is nice and the evening and morning offerings are a good option for a quick snack or basic breakfast but doesn't have a large assortment of fresh fruit which would be a nice addition. The breakfast served at the restaurant is good and convenient meeting spot if traveling with coworkers.
The exercise facility is not large, but adequate and the machines are in good shape. I like that there are two separate rooms - one for cardio equipment and one for weights. They are near the pool, but do not suffer from the same temperature control issues that many exercise facilities adjacent to pools experience.
The suites are very nice and spacious with decor that is not outdated. The seating area is completely separate from the sleeping room. In the seating area, you have a desk for work space, couch, chair and coffee table. There is also a mini fridge which makes it nice to be able to put some water or snacks.
The bed is comfortable but the separate rooms do make that space feel a bit tight, not bad if you are traveling alone. The bathroom is nice and spacious however and amenities are good.
I've had boxes shipped in prior to my arrival and they are always waiting for me when I arrive and it is little hassle to claim them.

Most notably at this location is the staff. I'm always welcomed warmly and any questions/concerns are quickly addressed. All of the other details are important, but this last note is what keeps me coming back to this specific Doubletree.

Room Tip: Hallways are long, so you may want to request near an elevator if you have a lot to carry or do not...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are dong. We appreciate your continued business. As a brief follow up I wanted to let you know the our cardio equipment will be updated by the end of this year which will help to maintain our fitness center and keep it up to date. I will also address our fresh fruit offerings in our executive lounge in hopes to add additional variety. We truly appreciate you feedback and hope that you will continue to allow us to fulfill your lodging needs here at DoubleTree Suites in Bentonville.
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

If you're staying in Bentonville you won't find a better hotel than the Doubletree. Friendly staff, clean spacious rooms and convenient location. What more could you ask for? Breakfast was delicious as well..

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Michael J, Manager at Doubletree Suites Bentonville, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We are certainly pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We want to thank you for taking the time to respond and share your experience here at the DoubleTree. I hope that should you travel to the Bentonville area in the future you will choose our hotel for your stay! We appreciate your comments.
Bella Vista, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed here many times for work. Came to the area for a wedding and stayed at different hotel due to group rate. Checked out of that hotel due to severe cleanliness issues and came back to the place I can always trust to be clean, quiet, and comfortable - Doubletree!

• Stayed September 2012
Michael J, General Manager at Doubletree Suites Bentonville, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. It is good to hear that we are providing you with the accomodations and hospitality that gives you reason to return. We are certainly glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to being of service to you in the future. Thank you again!
WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed one night in a King suite. Very clean, beautiful and well maintained property. Very friendly and helpful employees. Convenient to airport and Crystal bridges museum. Breakfast buffet excellent. This was our second visit and we plan to return. We have also stayed at the Embassy Suites down the road which is nice as well, but we will likely return to this property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael J, General Manager at Doubletree Suites Bentonville, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to let us know how we are doing at the DoubleTree Bentonville. We truly appreciate your continued support and business when you travel to the Bentonville area. We hope that we can be of service to you again should your travels bring you back to Northwest Arkansas!
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night in this Doubletree Hotel because he had a business meeting in the hotel. We had a suite with a large bathroom. The only complaint was that to have 2 rooms both were very small. The living room had a couch and flat screened TV. It also had a desk and chair. We had a refrigerator and micro wave. It would be good for a long business trip. Everything was very clean and the hotel appeared to be new. We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Michael J, General Manager at Doubletree Suites Bentonville, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Hello,
I wanted to personally thank you for your comments. We truly hope that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you should travel to the Bentonville area again we hope that the DoubleTree Suites will be your hotel of choice.
Thank you again!
Bentonville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Very clean and well appointed. Always great service from all departments. Restaurant has a very good breakfast. My company has individuals that have specific dietary needs that require them to bring thier own food. The hotel is very accomodating and heats it for them. The list is long of things we have requested and they have happily obliged.

Room Tip: Street noise not much of a problem. Always good to stay away from elevators.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Michael J, General Manager at Doubletree Suites Bentonville, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
We truly appreciate your comments and your continued business. We hope that you will continue to choose the DoubleTree Bentonville for your future hotel needs!