“Excellent, well maintained property, friendly & efficient staff”

Wingate by Wyndham Yuma
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Yuma
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Spent 10 days at the Wingate in February while on a golfing/baseball watching/Mexico & snowbird relative visiting holiday. Had never stayed at an upscale Wyndham property previously. The Wingate more than met my expectations and I found it compared favourably to the Hampton chain in the Hilton family. The front desk and hotel management staff I dealt with on numerous occasions were cordial, helpful and efficient.

For my interests, the Wingate was perfectly situated, close to freeway and main streets running into Yuma. I was able to access most things I wanted to do relatively quickly, though that could be said for all the hotels located in the area of the Wingate. The Wingate does not have a restaurant onsite, but two restaurants - a highly recommended diner and the Cracker Barrel chain are immediately located across the parking lot. As well, a two/three block walk takes you to the regional shopping centre with many restaurants, pubs, retail box stores and movie theatre complex.

The hotel definitely still had a 'new' feel to it and my room was well appointed, though no views to speak of. My room contained a small fridge and microwave which I used often over my 10 day stay. The housekeeping standards were excellent in the room, hallways and stairwells and the staff, who I got to somewhat know, were most enjoyable and accommodating. I went down to the outdoor pool/hot tub one afternoon, but not the greatest ambience, though I wasn't in Yuma for that type of holiday anyways! Used the fitness room a few times, not an excessive amount of equipment, but met my needs for sure. The equipment was new and clean.

The hot & cold item continental breakfast changed daily and eventually repeated itself after 4 or 5 days. Can't complain at all with the repeat since I was likely one of the few longer stay guests who went through the order twice! There was a full-time breakfast attendant who always kept the dining area clean and maintained a good supply of fresh meal items. They did well under sometimes trying circumstances, knowing how some folks can be before they have their morning coffee!

Things I'd suggest the Wingate consider - a few of the other area hotels provide a bit of a 'Happy Hour" with light snacks and limited alcohol (beer mainly, I believe) that would be a nice, thoughtful touch; the addition of a propane gas-fired BBQ or two in the pool area would be nice option for those guests staying longer or trying to get a reprieve from restaurant-bought meals.

Would I stay again, absolutely! In fact will be booking for a 10 day stay again in a couple months!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank FromTheKootenays

Reviewed August 14, 2011

The room and hotel were clean and nice. Two queen beds, micro frig, microwave, coffeemaker. Breakfast items were available in the mornings too. Small outside pool is available as well.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This hotel was an excellent value with absolutely excellent service. There was nothing lacking, and no complaints (okay, 1, the safe was broke, but they tried to fix it).

Room Tip: Near the hiway, but never heard it. Al lthe rooms seem pretty equal.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cubanito3
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Got stranded with car troubles. First night was in rat hole on the other side of town. Second night was here. 100% Staff, Room, Service What a great place!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArizonaTraveler56
Reviewed May 3, 2011

The room was very nice. The staff that greated us at the front counter was pleasant. Unfortunately my 4 month old Android phone was lifted from my room while I was attending a convention. I shared a room with a co-worker, we left for the days meetings and I left my phone to charge. When we returned that evening my phone was gone. There was no manager on duty due to the weekend. I was promosed a call back and had to call him on Tuesday when I didn't hear from anyone. His answer," It couldn't have been my people because none of them speak english." What ?!!!! $200 later I have a new phone. It makes me feel better knowing my phone, which was used twice as long as I normally use it for after it was stolen, (verified with cell company) according to the Manager, couldn't be used since phones can only be used by english speaking people. Whatever !!!!!!!!
Corporate said they were sorry to hear about my loss but the hotel is not corporate run and they really don't care.

Room Tip: Avoid Wyndam hotels at all cost, go Holiday Inn .
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
WingatebyWyndham, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Yuma, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

We are extremely sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience at Wingate by Wyndham (Yuma). After following our monitoring procedures we did not find any leads about your lost cell phone. As a precaution we do offer complimentary use of safes in all of our rooms and encourage guests to make sure their valuables are secured in room or at Front Desk before they leave their room. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and we will do our best to improve guest satisfaction. Thank you for your valuable review and hope you give us another chance to serve you in near future.

Reviewed March 31, 2011

Had a lovely stay. Room was well appointed , clean and quiet. Next year when we travel to Yuma, will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We had to stay five nights in Yuma and were glad we found this hotel. It isn't the cheapest gig in town, but the staff was especially friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were quite satisfactory. The bed was VERY comfortable and the room so quiet, it was hard to believe the hotel was full. We had to extend two nights, and although it cost us more per night, they fit us in. The hair dryer burned out and maintenance immediately replaced it, I couldn't get the coffee maker on and they immediately came to show me how.... my mistake. The only disappointment was the hot tub wasn't hot enough, but I suppose the helpful maintenance guy would have remedied it, had I complained. Ask for the multi night special, and you may get a good discount.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business