“Best Western Yuma Ratty room”

Best Western InnSuites Yuma Mall Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Yuma
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 25, 2011

This is my second stay in two months and my last. I booked a month early and got placed in room 170. Was told at check-in the room was larger than my previous room. Next to the room door, the door placard said Boardroom Suite. Upon entering the room it was indeed larger with an 8 foot bar mini kitchenette with a four burner stove and sink. The fridge, however, lacked a control knob and turning the screw one way, midway or far over the way left it either warm or freezing cold. Freezing meaning frozen, anything and everything is either warm or rock solid frozen.

A three section sofa and arm chair and coffee table was a nice area to relax in but the TV was solid mounted on the wall with no viewing from this area, only from the bed. Speaking of bed, the desk clerk verified that I booked a single King size. What I got was a twin drop down Murphy bed with a mattress as hard and firm as my grass lawn at home. After the 2nd night my back was stiff as a board. And those Cloud Nine pillows? Well, mine went down to Cloud Four.

The TV remote was dead. Calling the front desk for help was fruitless as John, the clerk, said he was the only one there and help would be sometime before midnight. MIDNIGHT! I voiced my displeasure to John that this type of service was unacceptable and move to please move me to another room. John apologized and said they were booked solid with no rooms available. An hour later a skinny kid with glasses came by asking about the remote, tried it out and said he would be back with a new battery shortly. As he left he said, "Don't worry I'll be back." An hour and a half passes and he hasn't returned. Another call to John. John said the kid took ill and went home and no one was available and I had to make do. I told John the kid didn't look ill but overworked so stop with the false excuses. An hour passes and another kid stops by, checks out the remote and says he'll be back. Well, this time he did with another remote that worked.

The carpeting is dire need of shampoo and I mean dire. It looks as if it hasn't been shampooed since the hotel first opened...quite nasty. Remember the door placard that said Boardroom Suite? Well, directly across from the bed was a fold up meeting table that was 6 ft high. To prove that this room is used for meetings, the kitchenette has large mirrors on a sliding closet doors. In the closet are chairs neatly stacked.

The adjoining room was quiet the first evening, then voices were heard the next evening. The hotels excuse, the guest were late checking in. Then why didn't you give them my room, I asked? "Sorry, rooms are reserved in advanced." BALONEY.

And should I mention the dirty grounds? An ash tray next to the stairs was full and never emptied. Wood and cardboard littered the area too. Trash can outside my room was never emptied either.

The good; decent breakfast with Starbucks coffee. Good shower with huge sunflower sized shower head. Empty mini shampoo and lotion bottles on the sink..WTF!

WiFi is horrible. There is not enough WAN inet connections available so all one gets is local connection to the router until someone logs off.

Well, BW, you have lost my business, period for good. Next time I book across the street at La Fuente.

I rate this hotel 2 stars, but more like one a three quarters.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Master_001_Chef
Sales Coordinat... C, Director of Sales at Best Western InnSuites Yuma Mall Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

We are sorry about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us here at the Best Western Plus InnSuites Yuma. We value your feedback and will use your comments to improve. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Staying here with about 10 other coworkers. Reviews are really mixed as I talk to the others. Personally, my stay started out strange. I tried to get into my room with my keycard, and it would not work. So the mainenance man came over and also could not get into the room. He then slid open the window, which, he told me wasn't lockable, and jumped through to open the door for me and said "There you go". Really? You are asking me to pay for a room that has unlockable windows, and a door that doesn't open from the outside?" They made the command desicion to put me in a different room, which is a small meeting room that can covert into a regular room. Quite large, but no "Cloud 9" bed. What you get is an oversized room, with a "bar area", stove top, small dinky fridge and microwave, and a bed that folds into the wall. LOVELY. I had been traveling all day, and thought I would just exchange rooms a second time later in the week, because our stay was to be 30 days. Never did stay 30 days in Yuma, and never raised a ruckus to be switched out again. My fellow employees who have nice beds absolutely love them.

The employees are definately pleasant. They have a morning breakfast which I have never tried because we leave the hotel each morning at 4:30am to head out to work. Also have never used the pool. Looked clean. The hotel itself is a bit of a maze and people often wandered past my room saying "Where the heck are we. I am so confused". The layout is hard to describe, but it is 3 levels with various "ground" levels, depending on what side of the hotel you are on. It seems to be several buildings haphazardly put in close proximity to each other, with the pool in the middle. I prefer rooms with the doors facing outside instead of the interior hallway, and thats what you get here.

The landscaping is really well done and the place itself is clean. The biggest complaint I have is the internet service. It auto disconnects you about every hour, and the login process is fairly quick, but a pain in the butt. It is also SLOW. Any hotel that advertises highspeed broadband nowadays better have HIGH SPEED. I got better speeds with my cell phone.

It is definately worth consideration staying here. It's right in the middle of everything and near immediate access to I-8. Restaurants and shopping are very close. I need reliable internet, so I could never stay here again, but if you don't you might find it quite nice. Just don't expect a cloud 9 bed if you're in room 170. I am giving sleep quality two stars, but keep in mind you may give it 5 if you get the right bed.

Room Tip: Demand a room with a Cloud 9 bed.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments! We value your feedback, and appreciate your thoughtful review. It is unfortunate that you experienced some inconveniences during your stay, but know that these will assist in our constant endeavors for improvement. We are happy that you enjoyed your time with us, and hope to serve as your host in the future!

Reviewed June 12, 2011

The rooms are older, but well updated. Walls are a bit thin, but the beds are very nice and its a clean, comfortable place to sleep. Breakfast hours start a little late, but breakfast is great.

• Stayed: June 2011

Thank you for your comments, your feedback is greatly appreciated! We have enjoyed having you here at the Best Western Plus InnSuites!!

Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 8 nights while having dental work done across the border in Los Algodones.

The rooms have been redone and are very nice. The bed was extremely comfortable and the pillows nice and fat. There was a huge flat-screen TV at the foot of the bed mounted to the wall. It was quiet and my room overlooked the pool. The staff were friendly, although most spoke Spanish which I don't but they were very helpful. The only drawback for me was that there is only one ice machine - behind the poolside restaurant - and it was a long walk with a very sore mouth and a bit doddery on drugs. It would have been great to have one on each floor (I was on the second floor).

Free breakfast each morning was great, as was the two free drinks at happy hour.

I started my stay at the Howard Johnson's in Yuma and was appalled at the room so made the switch to here and, at $10 extra a night, was WELL WORTH it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments!! We appreciate the feedback and are thrilled you and your son enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Yuma!!

Reviewed May 20, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel before for work, and it is a great experience. This would be a good place for a family vacation or romantic getaway. The heated outdoor pool and patio area are very nice, and having a bar/restaurant on premises is a big plus. Great free breakfast (I wish it opened earlier though). It has its downfalls, rooms are kind of noisy, and there are cleaner places, but it's better than most hotels.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Thank You for your review regarding your stay at the Best Western Plus InnSuites Yuma. We truly appreciate all comments so we may improve on our services.

Reviewed March 24, 2011

Second stay at this hotel in about a year. Some improvements in accommodations (e.g., light-blocking drapes) seem to have been been made since last summer. The facilities have much to recommend them, including the pool and the excellent complimentary breakfast. We did have an issue with no TV remote in the room ("Are you sure you can't find it?" we were asked). Though this is a minor detail, it took more than one request and several hours for the staff to attend to it, with no intervening communication. Once we received a remote with batteries, we could not get it to work despite following the instructions repeatedly. When compared to a competing hotel we'd stayed in in Yuma several days before, the service was not nearly as welcoming and accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2011

This Best Western has a complete facelift and the details are appreciated. New, comfortable mattresses, tasteful decor, flat-panel TV, swing-arm mirror (finally, I can see the back of my hair when styling it!), microwave and small fridge. The hairdryer is good and hot. Bottled water every day. The breakfast offers great variety: cereal, yogurt, juice, fresh fruit, several kinds of bread and muffins, and hot items including sausage, hashed browns, eggs, and make-your-own waffle. And very good coffee. They offered happy hour drinks and appetizers but we were not there to try it.

The problems we had were a result of weather (internet interruptions), and the recent boiler upgrade, which clogged the hot water lines. We reported this 3 times, and finally asked a maintenance man who was working on the room next door for help. He was friendly and capable, and fixed the problem immediately. The maid would leave a differing number of towels each day, several times just one handtowel and washcloth.

Be sure to join the Gold Crown membership, which gives you little perks and the points do add up. Overall, I believe Best Western is trying very hard to provide a good experience at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends