“Quaint and charming”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Blind Bay, Canada
“Quaint and charming”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

As our usual best Western hotel was booked for the night, we decided to stay at the coronodo. It is one of the first motor hotel in North America. It's a beautiful motel that spans both sides of 4th Ave. The rooms have been upgraded to best Western standards and are clean and comfortable. The brick exterior has been painted white, the roof red adobe brick. We were greeted by Vicki who clearly takes pride in her job and in the motels history. Vicki tended to our needs with a friendly smile and great attitude. I had occasion to deal with the owner\manager over questions about my reservation. This woman was the only drawback of our stay, she was extremely rude. She told me that the other best western in town was charging 300.00 per night as it was high season, they in fact charge 89.00 less senior discount. She also told me that i was being charged the rack rate at this hotel, and regulars got a reduced rate. If it were not for the wonderful front desk and maintenance workers, we would not be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abnormel D
Yvonne P, General Manager at Coronado Motor Hotel-Yuma, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Adnormal D,
First I want to thank you for staying with us. We have tried very hard to keep the property up to the Best Western standards. My staff and I work very hard to make our customers feel welcome. I am truly sorry for the confusing problem of rate. I normally don't like to quote rate of another hotel, for this very reason. But I had just got of the phone and that was the rate I had been quoted. I am sorry that I made you feel that I was rude. But I was only reputing what I had just been told. I 'm not sure why you got the other rate. Please come and try us again. I'm very proud to say I have many repeat guest, and would love for you to become one also. Hope to see you on your next visit to Yuma, Az.
Yvonne Peach
G. Manger/owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Queen Valley AZ
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Best Western here in Yuma is a good place to stop, knowing it will have a friendly staff will make your stay a good one. They are able to answer any question that you may ask, from what to see, where to eat. There is always something going on in or around the area. The Yuma Jail is something see, some really Bad people were housed in this place. Going through it is like going back in time. The Guides tell you what went on and some of the people that were there. Our room was really nice, we were upgraded to a large room King Size bed, full kitchen with everything that you would need to make your stay comfortable. I will stay here when we come this way.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank kat251
KAT251,
I so excited that you enjoyed your visit to our Historic North End. The Prison State Park is a wonderful place to visit. Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed your stay with us. My staff and I are looking forward to your return visit. see you then.

Yvonne Peach
G. Manager/owner
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This is rated a 3 star hotel on Priceline. Hmmmm. Can someone please review with me how Priceline rates it's hotels? This is at best a high end 2 star or low end 2.5 star. However, the full breakfast at the diner next door does help, and it's included in the hotel rate. It's probably fine for those just wanting somewhere to crash on their way to California, as the beds are above average on comfort. The rooms are larger, but not quality larger. We had a kitchen add on that had not been updated since the 60's? Kind of funky. But the town itself is somewhat on the funky side. At least it's consistent. This motel would fit right in the Route 66 vacation.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank showlowdoc
Yvonne P, General Manager at Coronado Motor Hotel-Yuma, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us. We are sorry that you were disappointed in your stay with us. We are the oldest Best Western in the United States. So some of our rooms are not the normal. Maybe next time try a different kind of room. The one thing that we have, we are not a cookie cutter hotel we have 15 room types. Maybe one of them would be what you are looking for. Call and talk to the desk for your next reservation. We want to satisfy you. We are looking forward to your return trip.
Sincerely Yvonne Peach G. manager/ owner
Queen Valley AZ
Reviewed December 15, 2013

As we travel we like to stay at one of the older Motor Hotel's is one of the older ones, a lot of History in the walls. Even though it is older, it has been updated with new room Deco, but still showing the history of the time. Bath room has new sink and bath tub, making it comfortable

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Yvonne P, General Manager at Coronado Motor Hotel-Yuma, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
kat251,
Thanks for staying with us on your most recent visit to Yuma, AZ. We are looking forward to your return trip. On your return trip ask for a tour of the museum. I would love to give you a tour, myself. See you then.
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

These people take pride in their motel and in their community. I also want to say they helped me fix the license plate on my car - which I consider above and beyond. I do wish, however, they offered an on-site breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013
dcollet,
I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay. Not sure what you mean by you wish we had a on-site breakfast? The Yuma Landing is the hotel restaurant, just not attached to building. Please come try us again. We would love to show you everything the hotel has to offer. thanks for choosing Best Western Coronado for your travel needs.
Seal Beach, CA, United States
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel complex and the related restaurant. We particularly liked the fact that they have retained the original buildings to keep the flavor of the old city, yet had equipped them with modern appointments.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Stephen C
Stephen C,
We are spread out over two blocks in the Historic North End of Yuma, Arizona. We have tried to keep the property up. We try to offer the latest of amenities as well as the latest in technology. We are now putting in car chargers for our guest. So if you know someone with an electric car. Tell them the oldest Best Western in the United States, now offers that amenity. Thanks Again for staying with us, we really appreciate your business.
Phoenix
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We enjoy staying at this hotel in November every year. Breakfast is excellent. The hotel is old but renewed. Bed is comfortable and the bedding is good. Rooms are different sizes and can be small - need ask for size. Hotel is near historical district and you can walk to see what Yuma offers to tourists.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Vera L
Vera l,
Thank you for your recent stay in our hotel. Yes, we are close to all the historical and cultural sites of Yuma, Az. We are next to the Yuma Crossing Nation heritage Area also. So next time you come to Yuma, try our historical downtown. We also have added a few things on our breakfast menu. See you on your next visit to Yuma. Thanks for choosing Best Western for your travel needs.