“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of River City Grill

River City Grill
Ranked #5 of 250 Restaurants in Yuma
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: RIVER CITY GRILL In our 15th Year of Celebrating Fine Food & Service Welcome to River City Grill. We offer a unique menu based on the regional cuisines of the Mediterranean, Pacific Rim, India and the Caribbean; with an emphasis on fresh fruit and vegetable sauces, whole grains and exotic spices - foods that are naturally low in fat and rich in flavor. We serve wild river salmon, halibut & true cod from Alaska, naturally raised beef, Kobe burgers, as well as house made breads and desserts. We take great pride in our talented staff and hope your experience with us is a happy one.
yuma
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2007

My husband and I just moved to Yuma for a job 2 months ago. After getting our first paycheck we decided to go out to an upscale resteraunt... not the place to choose! It is very small, the staff was unfriendly and slow, the food was horrible and they give you ONE piece of bread each and it was so crusty it cut my mouth! We will NEVER go there again!!

3 Thank rampride

Los Angeles
“Weird Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

My husband and I visit Yuma quite often, we normally eat at the vast chain restaurants in the area and are always satisfied especially due to the fact that we have 2 young children in tow. This past weekend we had a chance to go to Yuma w/out kids, so we decided to try something upscale since we were celebrating my birthday. After a little bit of research on the net, I came to find The River City Grill, I checked out the menu and it looked fantastic, a little bit of everything (Mediterranean, Indian, Asian, etc). I jotted down the address and upon arrival to Yuma, we decided to stop by and check out the place as so we wouldn't get lost that evening. We were truly disappointed at the location of the restaurant, it's pretty much a old small home turned into a restaurant, still in a semi residential area, (ghettoish) feeling. I was confused, because the menu looked so great, and the prices were about 20.00 a plate, I just couldn't see a good experience at that location. We decided to take a chance and made reservations. We wanted to dress up for the occasion but after seeing the location, I didn't feel it was too appropriate to go in your Sunday best. We called that evening and asked if reservations were needed, and they said that it was highly recommended, when I asked if there was a dress code, or if it would be appropriate to come in casual wear, the host replied, "we promise we won't kick your out". Once we arrived we were still hesitant to go in, it's on a not so friendly looking street, I took a peek in, and saw that there were several people inside, and it looked cozy with candle lit tables. Once you put the image of the location aside, the dining experience was quite good. The dining area is small, and it could use some work, paint, the front door opens towards the inside, rather then out (remember it's a home), there was a broken pane of window on the door taped up with cardboard. This might not matter to most, but I am from Los Angeles and appearance is everything. Now to the food. My husband had a alcoholic beverage, and they were quite generous with the liquor, they immediately served us a warm crusty piece of bread with balsamic and olive oil to dip, left you wanting more. We then were served a choice of salad that came with our entree. We both had the Mediterranean salad, it was a bit bland, as it was only drizzled with a touch of balsamic and EVOO, but there was plenty of black and green olives and feta cheese, roasted peppers, tomatoes. I had the Alaskan Cod in a bourbon sauce with walnuts and raisins, the sauce was okay too sweet in my opinion, the fish was good, my side dishes were just okay. I think it was starchy overcooked sushi rice, formed into a rice cake. The veggies were seasoned well but way over cooked and mushy. My husband on the other hand had the special which was a generous portion of Halibut (it was literally the most beautiful thick fillet of white fish we had both seen in our lives), served with mashed potatoes, steamed mushy veggies, and a couple of shrimp. He said that his plate was fantastic. Presentation was excellent. Service was quick and friendly. Ambiance was lacking. Would we eat there again???? Based on the food I would give it another chance, but I honestly didn't feel completely safe at the location, bad thoughts were crossing my mind, as shady people were passing by, some with shopping carts filled w/groceries or recyclables. I kept thinking to myself, someone could walk in a just rob everyone there and be out of there so quickly. I think location is everything, this restaurant is one of a kind in Yuma, and could do so well at a nicer location. After talking to my husband we liked our experience overall, but we were not sure if we wanted to dine there again. After spending 75.00 on dinner for 2, I would expect a nicer location.

12 Thank HmmmmmmLosAngeles
Chef in a fry-cook town
“Check the sanitation first”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2007

Ask to see the kitchen before you eat there. The level of sanitation varies greatly according to who the current chef is, and River City Grill has a high turnover. Chicken and fish have been thawed in a bus tub beneath the station where dirty dishes are placed. Not in the refrigerator as required by law. Personally, I'm not crazy about an outdoor, open-air sushi bar either.

The alfredo sauce has the unpleasant flavor of sour cream as if the cook forgot his place while making stroganoff. The curry is passable, but go to India House for the real thing. The vietnamese spring rolls are dissapointingly bland, the noodles tasting pasty and under prepared. The seared ahi was covered with a thick "thai sauce" with too much peanut butter- although this may have changed since my last visit.

The inside dining area has cafeteria style seating and the acoustics are terrible. The room gets very loud with but few people.

All in all, pretentious, uneducated and not worth the money.

3 Thank Chef_de_Cuisine
San Francisco, CA
“Can't believe this is in Yuma”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2007

One of the best restaurants I've been to, anywhere, and I've lived in Los Angeles and San Francisco. I dined at River City Grill for the second time tonight, and I could not believe how consistently good the food is. It's also a great atmosphere, and the service was fantastic. I would strongly encourage all Yuma visitors and Yumans alike to check this place out.

P.S. A great way to spend a night in town is to hit up River City Grill for dinner, and then head over to the movie theater on First and Main.

2 Thank GavinLC
Yuma, AZ
“Yumas Eclectic Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2006

The River City Grill is a fun place to dine with a unique menu and novel atmosphere. The menu is dominated with various asian and India spices, along with some fare that is more familar... I like the spinach Ravioli, and the Rell Bell Pepper bisque is good... You get the idea. You will see many of the Who's Who in Yuma dining here.

The resturant can be quite loud as it is an open room along with an outdoor patio... and they have a great Martini menu, which can add to the noise if a big group is trying it out. But overall, this is one of the places where you go for one of the nicer meals in Yuma, and don't feel like patronizing the big chain places out by the Freeway. If you are a Steak and Potato person, skip it, but if you like places with creative menu's, try it.

8 Thank Sjwyuma

Been to River City Grill? Share your experiences!