“Why didn't I choose this hotel before????”

Shilo Inn & Suites - Yuma
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Yuma
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I had been travelling alone in Arizona for almost 2 weeks and was back in Yuma for my last two days before the end of my vacation. I was at a gas station where I tripped, fell and broke my ankle in 3 places.I ended up in the ER, where I met this doctor who stays at the Shilo Inn whenever she's in town. With my consent, she cancelled my existing reservation and booked me into the Shilo Inn, assuring me that I would be very well taken care of. It was about 10:30 that evening when I arrived from the ER and on crutches. The lady clerk, (so sorry I forgot her name) treated me very sympathetically. She had me sit in a comfy lobby chair with my leg propped while she got all the info she needed and had me checked in in no time at all. My room was great. They brought me a bunch of extra pillow for me to be able to ellivate my leg. They said if I needed anything, just to pick up the phone. They were there for everything I needed. And there continental breakfast is more than just continental. Everything was very fresh and very good. When the lady that was working the breakfast saw my condition, she had me sit down and brought be everything I needed. When it came time for me to go to the airport, I had two great gentlemen who couldn't do enough for me. They took care of my luggage, and helped me into the shuttle. When we go to the airport, again they took care of my luggage and helped me into the airport and put me directly into the hands of the airline I was traveling with. When driving through Yuma, it's pretty hard to miss the Shilo Inn sign. I saw it all the time, but always seemed to stay elsewhere. But not anymore. Whenever I go to Yuma again, which will be soon, I know where I'll call "home".

Room Tip: When booking, be sure to ask if prefer to have non-smoking, pool side, or handicap.If you do have an...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Val W
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - Yuma, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear Val W.

Thank you very much for your kind words after your stay at Shilo Inn Yuma. We were very pleased to read that you found the staff helpful and friendly. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2012

The Yuma Detachment hosted the state conference at the Shilo Inn. We booked over 50 rooms and there was not one complaint from anyone in the the conference. Everyone was totally impressed with the rooms, facilities and the staff at this location. The staff especially bent over backwards to ensure our stay was perfect. These people are the greatest, from management all the way down to the maintence and cleaning staff. Anyone planning a big function like this I would highly recommend the Shilo Inn in Yuma. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Doug S
Reviewed March 9, 2012

In February of 2012 my wife and I were traveling from Phoenix to San Diego and decided to spend a couple of nights in Yuma which lies about halfway between the two. In researching hotels in the area, I came upon the Shilo Inn and Suites which sounded good and even had a star rating in the 2009 edition of the Fodor guide to Arizona.Can't miss, right? Wrong. This was a miss of significant proportions.

First the positives:

Okay, now the negatives:

I'm kidding of course, but not much. The positives list is short. First of all the location is excellent - right off Interstate Highway 8 and on the edge of a huge shopping centre full of great stores and restaurants. Also, the lobby looks recently renovated with granite counters on the front desk, tiled floors throughout and fairly classy furniture. And the breakfast is, well ... passable.

But where this hotel falls down badly is in the rooms. Beyond the lobby, this place is old and very tired. Halls are dingy with badly worn and stained carpets. The electronic room keys were cranky and several guests (including us) had to have them reprogrammed. When we entered our room, the first impression was dinginess with poor lighting and ... oh my ... peeling wallpaper. Again, rugs were in bad shape and the place didn't feel or smell clean.

I was impressed with the size of the room however. It was huge. But slowly it dawned on me why it was huge. Without alerting us or asking how we felt about it, they'd put us in a room designed for wheelchair access. While it's great that they have such a room, I would like to have been given a heads-up and an opportunity to pass since these rooms are a bit odd. The bathroom for example, was a big windowless shower room with a chair-height toilet in one corner. The sink was outside the bathroom and elevated considerably, a bit awkward for my 5 foot wife.

The television set was small and an old-fashioned tube-type rather than an HD flat-screen.

And finally, this is the only hotel I've ever stayed in that didn't have enough parking to accommodate all the guests. We returned about 10PM after a late dinner and had to create our own spot at the end of a row where diagonal yellow lines clearly indicated no parking. This happened even though a lot of other guests who we met at breakfast were there on a bus tour. How bad would it have been if every couple there had their own car?

One sidenote - the staff at this hotel were just okay. I went to the front desk to discuss changing rooms or even cancelling one night, but got no help at all. In fact, the clerk kind of washed his hands of any concerns because we had booked through Expedia. "No", I said. "We booked through a British outfit called Venere." Imagine my surprise when he nformed me that Venere then turned around and booked it through Expedia! Bottom line - thishotel might treat you with less care if you booked your stay through a third party.

3  Thank DocDiP
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - Yuma, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Dear DocDiP,

I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced during your
stay with us. I deeply apologize to you for not exceeding your expectations.
I assure you that I will speak to the front desk staff to address the issues
you have mentioned and we will work on improving in those areas. Once
again, we are sorry for the inconveniences. I hope you will give us another
opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We visit Yuma 2x per year and ALWAYS stay here and have never had any complaints :) Staff is excellent and the rooms are always clean & comfortable, continental b'fast is great! Location is perfect! If you are looking for a place, rest assured that you won't be disappointed here.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Frederick S. G
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Watch out for this dirty rundown hotel. We booked through Hotwire. This is a dirty stinky rundown ant ridden hotel that was rated a 3 star. It is not even a 1 star. We had to keep our shoes on because the carpets a filfthy. We did a load of laundry and our laundry came out with blue ink on it. By 11pm we called hotwire and told them..they were very good and moved us at midnight to the Hilton Garden. If you use a service that promises a clean room and they give you the Shilo...call immediately and get moved. Do not sleep in the bed. There are ants in the beds and on the walls and in the bathroom.

Room Tip: don't stay
3  Thank azahunting
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - Yuma, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear azahunting,

Your comments regarding the issues you experienced at Shilo Inn – Yuma are taken very seriously and will be reviewed with the appropriate staff members. These comments will be influential in our plans to take our hotel services to the next level. We value your feedback and would be pleased to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Shilo Inn in the future.

Best Regards,