“Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona, and such a fine sight to see...”

Quality Inn Winslow
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Winslow
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Nope, its not a girl in a flatbed ford, its the Quality Inn! And chances are, if you take the Winslow exit, it will be the very first thing you see, as its right there on the corner by the ramp. Having taken a wrong turn coming from Phoenix en route back home to Salt Lake (dont ask) I really just wanted to find a place where I wouldnt go crazy from the sound of my own wheels; at the discounted price of 65; a little expensive yet the cheapest I could find in the area, I took it, easy.
Its a older property, you can tell by the inside, the outside is clearly cosmetic makeover. I was actually taken aback by the age, the lobby looks fresh out of the 90s, while the hallway, the 70s. Ripped carpet and scratches and even a few dents in the walls. The staircase (i forget if there was a elevator) was very unattractive. For 65 bucks I was not impressed, and prepared for the worst when getting ready to see the room. Pleasant surprise, the room wasnt all that bad. Actually, it was very nice, reddish hue and all (bed and wallpaper). The bathroom did show some age but considering you pay for a room, not the building it was pretty good. The bed was comfortable, however I do believe it is a non smoking hotel, so lighten up while you still can.
Considering I got in so late and slept in I did not see many people or the breakfast, not even a girl or a flatbread board. I did however get to see the pool in the morning, one of those indoor atrium models. The pool was moderate shape and temperature however the hot tub was so small it could fit about 2 people or one obese person [dont even try to understand], 6 am, so open up im climbin in!
There was one computer for guest use and a 24 hour dennys down the road. Winslow is a sleepy town in the middle of nowhere, Id be curious what brings people here; as I wa runnin' down the road- a blogger I met at the coffee shoppe' across the street (very nice one at that, dog park and all) told me was traveling cross country and was blogging about the old route 66, which runs right through town.
The room itself ranks better then average, but the building is just about poor, so split the difference and a average rating it gets for the price you pay, which considering Winslow standards wont blow your cover and will loosen your load and will save me.
I guess depending your budget you may loose or you may win with this one, and so, just try to find a place to make your stand.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 19, 2012

At check in they asked for ID and credit card as they said in case we stole the towels or damaged the room by throwing the TV out the window. Since we were staying on a business trip and clearly weren't hooligans it should have warned us. The room and carpets was not clean. There were cigarette burn holes in the bedspreads. The bathroom was unclean including toilet and the seat was up upon arrival. The room overlooked the pool are which was indoors so there was no chance of fresh air or daylight. The corridors smelled really bad, it seemed the pool area ventilation was tied into the corridor ventilation. And there was a howling dog a few rooms down. Would not stay again and I think some of these reviews must not be real reviews because this is a tired, and certainly not clean motel.

Room Tip: ask for an outside room, you don't want to face the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank funny2some
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We booked a room at this Quality Inn due to its overall rating and pet-friendliness, and we were travelling with our two small dogs. The woman at the front desk made me a little nervous, stressing at least four times that we were not to leave our room without taking the dogs as they may bark. Now, I can understand the concern, however, it did make me feel like if our dogs made one sound that we'd be kicked to the curb. The room was not exactly clean -- our dogs immediately started rolling on the bedspreads like they were made of roadkill and they found a dirty old sock somewhere in the room and had a field day with it.

Pet Fee is $20.00 per night. Call ahead if you book online and let them know you have a dog. They have just a few rooms available that are pet-friendly. They're all 2nd floor, nonsmoking and double queens.

Overall, I'd not recommend this unless you're hard up for a place to stay in Winslow with your four-legged friend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Be sure to ask for Genevieve....she was great! We had a terrific stay here in a room that was accessible for handicap. The free breakfast was delicious too! We liked our stay so much that we stayed there on our way back home.

Room Tip: Handicap rooms are close to the front desk and on the first floor inside.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Always friendly and attentive. Extremely clean and well maintained property. Indoor pool is amazing! Dog friendly too. Great value right off of rt. 40. We loved our stay for the weekend and would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We checked in on Thursday, October 4, 2012 at approximately 7 pm. We were greeted in a very friendly way, but things soon went south. The check-in process was very frustrating, not only were we given the wrong rate information but also the wrong occupancy information. The demeanor of the guest service associate Genevieve was very condescending and rude with every question that was asked and even when delivering check-in information.

When we booked our reservations online, we were given a rate of $69.99 for 2 adults and 2 children in each room because the website stated that children under the age of 18 were free with paying adults and as long as no additional bedding was required. We had a 16 year old, 13 year old and 4 month old with us, the baby would sleep in our bed for the night. At check-in Genevieve told us that it was their policy that anyone 12 and under was considered a child and above that was counted as an adult. This baffled us and we questioned her, but were given firm information that this was their policy (regardless what the website said).

About an hour after check-in, our husbands took our children to the pool to swim. Not only did Genevieve come down to the pool to monitor our families, she questioned each one in our party as to what room they were in and how old one of my sons was. Really? When we questioned her about this later, she stated "I went down to check on the pool towels and noticed that the party in the pool was not what you told me." At this point we are feeling very harassed and targeted. Only because at check-in another employee had told Genevieve that she had checked the pool towels. Our families swam for another 30 minutes because they felt very threatened, we didn't return to the pool.

My friend and co-traveler (who was in a separate room) and I were shopping at Wal-Mart while our husbands were at the pool with our children. We received a phone call on her cell phone from Genevieve regarding the number of people she saw at the pool and she informed us she would be adding a $20 charge to our room because she saw more people than what we told her. We explained to her the situation again and then informed her that we would come to the front desk when we returned.

Upon return, we went to the front desk to see what the issue was. We were immediately talked down to by Genevieve and seemed to be getting charged for every little thing she could think of. First it was $10 for an extra adult, then it was $10 for everyone over 5 people, then it was $10 for a rollaway bed. During all of this she also informed us that more than 5 people in the room was in violation of the fire code. But then she continued to tell me that if I paid the $10 for the additional person, she could bring a rollaway. I asked her why when it was without a rollaway was it in violation of the fire code and if I paid the additional $10 it wasn't? In any other hotel we've stayed in a rollaway in a room with 2 queen beds is considered a fire hazard because it blocks the walkway/exit, and that is exactly what this rollaway did. Genevieve didn't have an explanation for that, except that she was only charging me the "one" $10 fee.

At this point we are tired from traveling, hungry and irritated with the treatment that we've received at this hotel. It took Kristy bringing her personal laptop to the front desk to show her that "18 and under are free" on the website because Genevieve would not look that up on her computer because their policy was 12 and under. I finally told her to charge the $10 fee to my room and bring a rollaway to which she responded "are you sure?" Well yes, I don't really have a choice and her response was "well yes you do, you can have a rollaway or not." There were two other gentlemen waiting to check in during this time and they were growing impatient, she was also very rude to them.

When we received the rollaway, the gentleman who delivered it actually started counting the number of people he saw in my room. Are you kidding me? And to top it off, the sheets were dirty and had someone else's hair all over them.

We spoke to the manager the next morning and exactly like another reviewer stated, he defended everything she did. He said that it was hotel policy to go down and monitor the number of people in the pool because the "locals get their checks on the first of the month and rent rooms and invite their whole families to come and swim." Wow. On Quality Inn's website it says satisfaction is guaranteed, we asked for our money back because of the service we received and how awful we were treated, we didn't even begin to mention what was wrong with our rooms. He said he could not refund the entire cost, we asked for half, he said I can do 10%.

Aside from the customer service, the rooms smelled like urine, the bathtubs were disgusting (our entire family showered in flip-flops, thank God I had some clorox wipes and lysol spray) and the outlet in our bathroom was partially attached to the wall. If it hadn't been so late at night we would have drove to Flagstaff and sucked up the loss. We should have slept in the car.

This stay and treatment was absolutely ridiculous. I wish we had reviewed Trip Advisor before booking this hotel, but even then some of the ratings are deceiving. Save yourself the headache, find another hotel in the area or drive a little further to Flagstaff and actually enjoy your hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Stacy L
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Under new management for several years now, they have exceeded my expectations for a pleasent, helpful, and relaxing time. Located just a mile north of town in Winslow, close to the I-40 freeway and within walking distance of everything a person may need. Friendly Staff, Pool, hot tub, hot breakfast and DJ's resturaunt and bar with a all you can eat catfish on friday nights. I forgot a jacket while staying there on my travels and they boxed it up and sent sent it to me the day after I called. GREAT PLACE TO STAY.

Room Tip: Pool and hot tub is indoors, Its always quieter upstairs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo