“Beautiful Historic Hotel...Lacking Service”
Review of La Posada Hotel

La Posada Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Winslow
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I would have to agree with Rt66er, my husband and I also had a two night stay in September 2010. Although, this is a lovely remodeled hotel with exquisite, interesting and unusual art, the staff is lacking. Our room was located on the second floor and the hotel does not offer any bell service which I would have to say is ludacrious given from what I could tell, a large portion of their patrons are elderly. Having to lug suitcases up a spiral staircase is not exactly the best way to begin your stay. When we opened the door to our room we were overwhelmed with the power of "Lysol" or some other powerful cleaning agent. I immediately had to open the windows to air out the room.

We also had reservations at the Turquoise Room, and the service was less than professional, led by a manager who seemed to be dazed and confused. Food was okay, however when a pebble was found in the tomato salad and brought to our servers attention, no concession was offered. My husband did not want to make a fuss, which he should not have to, it should have been corrected by replacing the salad and removing the cost from the bill. In my opinion, given the promotion of the hotel's restoration I would have expected a caliber of service to compare to the overall ambiance. I would recommed the hotel, but would warn everyone about the level of service they should expect. Pack light or request a first floor room!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roadtrippin13
Write a ReviewReviews (1,899)

Reviewed October 12, 2010

This hotel was a wonderful surprise! As an old Harvey House Hotel, we so enjoyed the beautiful renovations complete with annotated guide to the history of the hotel, beautiful guest rooms, grounds and a wonderful restaurant. The staff was friendly and I even enjoyed the gift shop which had beautiful artistic gifts without the ususal, cheap Southwestern souvenirs you usually find.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This is the third time I have been to La Posada and it is still one of the most unusual and wonderful places. The restoration of the Mary Coulter building continues and it is beautiful and unlike any other hotel I have ever seen. This time I stayed in a room on the first floor which was larger than the rooms on the second floor. It was nice nicely done and comfortable. I would recommend anyone interested in historical places and beautiful places to stop make a visit. The gardens are also a lovely place to have a drink and relax and the Turquoise Room is still a very good restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2010

No real problems with this place. I did want a room with 2 beds but only one bed in room, they gave us a rollaway bed and that made the room a bit cramped.
Train line right beside the hotel. This did not worry us unduly.
The couple across the hall did worry us though. They were at it all night like rabbits. I saw the girl in the hall the next morning and she looked very happy.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2010

After a week in Venice being spoiled with beautiful surroundings and terrific food, I had no idea what a jewel awaited in Winslow, Arizona. After a purposely slow walk in as we took in all the beautiful colors and smells of the courtyard in front, we checked in and wandered room to room taking in all the art, architectural details and history of La Posada. Besides the beauty, it was very quiet and the team working there was really attentive and accommodating. When I thought that it couldn't get any better, we had an incredible dinner in the restaurant, which I won't even attempt to describe. Needless to say, it was a wonderfully unexpected surprise.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam830
Reviewed October 1, 2010

A unique property, this hotel has recaptured much of its past glory. Originally designed by Mary Coulter, who designed some of the buildings in Grand Canyon National Park, this former Harvey Hotel captures the flavor of a grand hacienda, with a modern flair. The public areas are inviting and adorned with unusual art, mostly in southwestern style. Many (if not all) of the rooms are named after famous persons. We stayed in the Howard Hughes Room, located on the second floor in the front of the hotel. The room was large with a huge four poster bed, two large upholstered chairs, a big leather couch, and a bookcase well-stocked with reading material. The bathroom was spotless and had modern fixtures including a shower and a Jacuzzi. The food (we had dinner) at the Turquoise Room was very good.
The staff, unfortunately, is not up to the grandeur of this hotel. For example, there was no one to help us (or anyone else) with luggage (we couldn't find any elevators, so we had to lug two large bags up two flights of stairs). Even though we had dinner reservations, the Turquoise Room hostess made us wait over 30 minutes to get our table. She initially told us that she didn't want to seat us because she didn't want to overwhelm the (two person) wait staff. Then, as she sheepishly admitted, she "lost track" of us (we were in the bar where there were four other people).
Living up to its heritage as a Harvey Hotel connected to the Santa Fe Railroad, the hotel is right next to the tracks, which are still relatively busy with traffic. The trains can be heard throughout the hotel, including in the guestrooms. So if you are a light sleeper, bring some earplugs.
Overall, however, if you want to get away from the cookie-cutter hotels on the road, this hotel is for you.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Great hotel! Tons of history, amazing architecture, cool lounge!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple