2,060 results
All reviewsturquoise roomfred harveymary colterrailroad hotelgift shopsanta fe railroadself guided tourharvey hotelsunken gardenan art gallerycurrent ownerstrain travelpublic roomstrains rollunique hotelmartini barstep back in time
Reviewed August 2, 2010

What a find! This place has so much character and history. It was such a delight to stay here. My husband and I spent awhile just walking around the hotel, looking at the art, reading about the history of the old railroad, Fred Harvey and the Harvey girls, and so much more. There was so much heart and dedication put into the creation and renovation of this place, so many details in the decoration. We were driving through Winslow on a road trip and it happened to be a good stopping place. Winslow's not a lot to see (although it does get a mention in the Eagles' song "Take it Easy"), but the hotel is worth a stay for sure. And it's a great value -- very inexpensive for a place to amazing. The restaurant, The Turquoise Room, is very good as well.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

La Posada is a completely unexpected, historically rich gem. A four star experience that would compete with the best in most resort towns, yet here it is in little Winslow, at the heart of Route 66. A new favorite in my personal Top Ten list of favorite hotels.

Let me first say I am a jaded, discriminating, demanding, hard-bitten, irascible corporate traveler who also happens to bank all the major hotel companies and most of the large boutique hotel firms (note I do not however bank La Posada, and so there is no conflict of interest here). I AM NOT EASILY IMPRESSED WHEN IT COMES TO HOTELS, HOWEVER, I WAS HIGHLY IMPRESSED WITH LA POSADA AND ITS GREAT STAFF. An amazingly preserved hotel oozing authentic history with a fantastic restaurant and superb meals by a very talented chef in a classy, casual setting. The service was both down to earth and impeccable (ask for Nathan in the dining room, he is as good a waiter as any in San Francisco or New York, and without all the snooty attitude). The margaritas are also some of the best in the country (and I know **** well what I am talking about, I'm from Texas). The rooms are first rate "authentic" and cozy, outfitted with home quality custom furnishings, jet tubs, and well apointed baths. The central ballroom/gallery is an expansive space is filled brimming with art, comfortable furniture, books, chess tables, and a turqouise baby grand. On top of this, the many galleries and nooks are packed with world class contemporary art as well as good quality local crafts and a host of historic artifacts.

La Posada oozes authentic history from every pore that no chain hotel could possibly duplicated. John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Howard Hughes, Shirley Temple, and many other celebrities stayed there. Developed in the 1920's, the hotel itself is an art deco Southwest architectural classic, with well developed new gardens, patios, and landscaping. Husband Allan Affeldt and wife and artist-in-residence Tina Mion (who has had showings in the Smithsonian) have made this hotel into a labor of love and it shows. A continuing work in progress as they work to add new rooms to the 45 already available, over the past 13 years they have done an amazing job turning this hotel into something quite unexpected. They are not to be commended, they should be applauded!

In fairness, let me also note the following: 1) Like many small boutique hotels, there is no bell or valet staff, but the hotel has only 2 stories, so I found this no real issue, and most rational people won't think twice about it. You'll be so busy wandering agape through the halls of the place staring at the art and history you'll never notice the weight of your bag. 2) While Winslow itself cannot realistically be portrayed as a desination of note outside the draw of cruising down one of the more famous stretches of Route 66, notorious for its place in the lyrics of the Eagles, IT IS very centrally located within an easy drive of the world-class Petrified Forest National Monument, Meteor Crater, the Homolavi Ruins, and both the Little and big Painted Desert, some of which are on my personal Top Ten list of natural wonders to visit in the US. It is also the very best en route rest hotel between Santa Fe and Phoenix;. 3) While the hotel does indeed back to the Santa Fe railroad owing to its historic birth as a Santa Fe RR / Harvey Hotel, THERE IS NO NOISE ISSUE WHATSOEVER. The hotel is of stucco construction and built like a fortress; on several occasions, trains glided by right outside unheard through light dinner conversation and virtually escaped my notice. Winslow is also not a "whistle stop" and is a low speed zone for the train line, so instead of being awakened by train noise, we enjoyed sitting with our morning coffee on the rear porch and taking in the trains as part of the setting. And if you are riding Amtrak, this offers your best opportunity to take a night out and get a great rest and a great meal en route.

All in all, because I so enjoyed the hotel, I am happy to forgo 30 minutes of my rather crowded calendar to devote to writing this review (which I rarely do) and I give my unreserved recommendation to La Posada and a tip of my hat to Allan and Tina. Bravo, continued success to you both, and I wish all who stay at La Posada as rich and enjoyable experience as my family had.

- Boots Davis

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank BootsAreWalkin
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Windslow, AZ? Well, not much there; stayed only one night; but the hotel and restaurant were awesome. The rates are great. When you make reservations, ask for a room in the new East wing. Our room was wonderful. Full leather couch, desk and chair, flat screen TV. Jacuzzi tub. Windows opened to the front courtyard. This is a historic hotel and worth every penny to "go back in time", eat good food and relax. We especially enjoyed the trains. Grab a glass of wine and sit out back and watch the trains go by . . . beautiful sunset out there too! We were surprised that the passenger train was letting people off right near the hotel (the train was on its way to San Bernardino). Sure, the trains go by all night, but that's part of Windslow. Walk 2 blocks to "standin on the corner" and take some pictures. I'd go back just for the R&R factor and for dinner at the great restaurant there.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Make sure you read the cancellation policy for this hotel because even if you cancel 24 hours in advance (like most hotels out there) if they cannot rent your room they will charge you the full amount....in our case it was $120. Although I had called and canceled days prior they "did not have that on record" conveniently. Also, when I asked to speak to a manager on both occasions of course one was not available and the customer service on the phone left more to be desired. Overall not a good experience and I would not recommend. Luckily we found the Drury Hotel 45 minutes down the road (which accepted pets) that was awesome.

2  Thank shaymoss_24
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I am glad to know that Winslow, AZ at least has the La Posada. An unexpected gem with a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere. A place with history which also makes it very interesting.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple