“What a great place”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Winslow
Cloudcroft, NM
“What a great place”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Without a any reservations,one of America's great old railroad hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank cloudcroftkid1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We live in Arizona and this hotel was selected because it was on our way back from a 6 week travel vacation, has history, & has received good ratings on-line. The hotel room (#211-queen bed) was beautiful and the food at the on-site restaurant "The Turquoise Room" fanatastic! Even bought a recipe book featuring the hotel restaurant best. The only caution - the sound travels under the doorway because floors are tiled - so you may hear a neighbor or people getting up early to leave in the morning.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BarbHP
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Not much to add - so glad my husband learned about this hotel from our local newspaper. We had visited the Petrified Forest and stayed 2 nights at the Wigwam Motel (VERY different, but equally unique experience). Had actually reserved a third night there, but cancelled to stay at LaPosada. So glad we did. It was a wonderful place to explore. My only complaint is that we purposely took our time coming in from Holbrook, so we would arrive after the 3:00 pm check in time. Our room was not ready until after 4:00. Wouldn't mind so much, except that they charge your credit card for the first night as soon as you make the reservation. As noted in some of the other reviews, the bathroom toiletries are off the supermarket shelf items. If that's what they need to do to save $ for this beautiful place, so be it. It is truly a gem that I hope the owners can continue to renovate for others to enjoy.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank black325
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We pulled off the highway and followed our GPS directions to the hotel. We weren't sure it was the right area until we saw the sign. As I moved up the walk to the entrance I noticed broken windows on the left wing and started to really wonder.....once I passed through the main door, all doubt passed. Everything was wonderful. The interior was beautiful. The flamenco guitar filled the air. I felt like I had been transported to another country at another time. (Turns out the broken windows are in the wing of the hotel still under renovation.) The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Our rooms were great, nicely decorated to match the old hacienda style of the hotel. The grounds and the adjacent train yard just added to the atmosphere of the property. Don't forget to stroll around the interior of the hotel to appreciate all the nooks and crannies.
I would go back to this area just to stay at the hotel once more.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank srcabrod
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Not often, but every once in a while, you have a hotel or restaurant experience that leaves you confused about how you feel about your experience. This is the case with our recent stay at La Posada in Winslow, Arizona.
We were on a drive from California to Oklahoma to visit family, and planned to return via Colorado (Route 70). On the way out we wanted to take a little time and explore Route 66. I grew up within 60 yeards of the mother road and have always felt a special affinity for it and it's place in history. Any 66 buff will tell you that Winslow plays a role in the history of the highway so as I lay out the route and timing I thought of checking hotels there. To my suprise, up popped information about LaPosada. It seemed ideal. I wanted my wife to enjoy this trip as much as I planned to. The more I read about the re-birth of this historical railroad hotel the more I became convinced. We booked it and added it to our list of highly anticipated experiences. We were not disappointed in our expectations which were mostly focused on the history and fabulous decorating the current owners had done. They have filled the hotel with art, mostly from the region, and there is a well thought out designer's touch in every room. However, what we had not expected to have disappointment with service. It starts with the arrival. The main entrance is not well lit or marked and we arrived after dark. It took a few minutes to find our way. At the desk we learned there was no help with the baggage and that we would have to transport it from the cobblestoned parling area to our room.

When we finally got to the room we found it wasn't very clean. First of all there was a long hair in the bathroom sink. There was no complimentary drinking water and the water from the tap was, for previously stated reasons, unappetizing. In addition we found the furniture Complimentary supplies (soap, shampoo, etc. was really third rate cheap or non existant. The room itself, howeverwas nicely decorated and cosistent with the rest of the hotel which was gorgeous. After dropping our bags we strolled over to the main lobby area and took a seat in the bar. It took us a long time to figure out that we had to approach the bar to get a drink. The bartender was a pleasant older woman that seemed to need an assist but one was not available. We snagged a couple of martinis and waited for our seating in the dining room. The service in the dining room was quite good actually with a helpful waiter. Furthermore, it wasn't too very long to get served. At this point it all fell apart. I had selected a classic provencial dish: Cassoulet, and in this instance it was served with a chicken drumstick The beans used were not the traditional haricut and the substituted kidney beans were incredibly salty. Instead of french sausage there was a single link of what I thought was breakfast sausage. There was also roasted pigeon, and for added punch a thick roasted venizon shank. All of the meats were inferior in my opinion but worse, it had all been overcooked. Hardly in a position to help the heavily salted beans. We skipped dessert and left as soon as possible. Then came one of the surprises of the evening. Upon exiting the dining room after having left more than half our food on the plates out of lost desire, the surprise came when stepping into the main foyer, There we found a young man playing classical guitar for the guests and giving a recital worthy of Julian Bream. Most impressive was his original compositions we suspect designed with some influence by Tortelli, We sat and listened for quite a while. His music soothed my anger from the botched dinner. The guitarist's name is Khent K. Anantakai. He is a Navajo with a penchant for classical music. He is definitelly accomplished enough to record which I hope to someday hear about. After the exquisite and impromptu recital, we repared to our bedroom to get some sleep. The room was comfortable, and so were the beds, but the covers are those old fashioned breadspread that are likely not to be very clean after a few guests have used it.
The next morning was a reversal of the check in procedure. i.e. haul your bags across cobble stone in a rickety cart provided by the hotel. We were happy to make our escape but memorys of how beautiful the hotel was and the fantastic guitar work of Khent has faded some of our discontent with the place. You might consider that this is a good hotel to take your wife (or girlfriend) to for a romantic hideout. The hotel itself is definitely a romantic venue. You might check first to see if Khent is playing his romantic Spanish guitar. Then., if you should decide to dine in the hotel be sure to get a reservation. Then select a simple dish that the chef can't foul up too easily and when he does there is no room for argument. We think the LaPosada offers good value as romantic cultured getaway but in environs that are spartain other then rooms full of magnificent art. (Be sure to take your own toiletries. LaPosada offers none. You may also want to bring some music and a player to your room. LaPosada's TV set up is very lean indeed. Finally, there are no telephones in the room. If you want pampering and spa, obsequious service, and you want everyone to remeber your name, you should go to the Springs or Vegas. But at LaPosada you will save considerably over those two alternatives, and you will score points with your better half.

One other point: LaPosada seems to hold pets in hig

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank soisurfer
Washington DC
Reviewed September 14, 2009

My husband and I, both architects, sought out La Posada three years ago and were happy to find it was under restoration. We stopped back by recently to check on the progress of the restoration and were thrilled at the changes. The lovely gardens, the larger gift shop, the fine menu at the Turquoise Room all pleased us. After buying some marvelous vintage jewlry in the Gift Shop, we had lunch in the Turqousie Room. The Signature Soup is outstanding. My husband had the stuffed squash blossom quesadillas, and I had pork filled red tortillas. The meal was delicious, and first quality - Fred Harvey would be proud to know the guest are still given the finest cuisine.
Afterwards we walked the grounds, and settled into the comfortable wicker arm chairs on the back veranda. We quickly fell into that lovely state of light dozing and for 30 minutes nobody bothered us, even though we were just passing through. It was one of those lovely magical moments I will treasure. It was hard to leave but we promised ourselves to return again.
I must also comment on the kind staff, I was in the throes of a wicked head cold, and was trying very hard to limit my contact with everyone. Every single staff person I met was kind, sympathetic, and never shied away from dealing with my sneezing person.
Someday I hope to spend a night at La Posada, eat that Signature soup again, and doze away an afternoon on the back veranda.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KBSilverSpring
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed September 12, 2009

In all of my 24 yrs of business travels LA Pasada ranks number one in my book,The restaurant food is superb especially the Prime RIb.The staff gave us excellent service every time we came.
But most of all my best moment at the La Pasada was meeting and having my first date
with one of the local ladies who I am now married to and reside in Louisiana.We look forward to our visits to the grandkids and staying at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank cajuncooler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winslow
Best Western Plus Winslow Inn
#5 of 14 in Winslow
Oak Tree Inn
Oak Tree Inn
#9 of 14 in Winslow

Been to La Posada Hotel? Share your experiences!