“5th trip to La Posada, and counting”
Review of La Posada Hotel

La Posada Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Winslow
Asheville, North Carolina
“5th trip to La Posada, and counting”
Reviewed December 3, 2008

My wife and I "discovered" La Posada in 2001, and this year was our 5th visit. We make an annual trip to the desert every year at Thanksgiving and we love returning to La Posada. This year we were there for Thanksgiving dinner, and it was a delight.

Like other reviewers have said, when you enter La Posada's doors you really do step back in time. This is not a Holiday Inn or a Hilton or the Phoenician. This is a beautifully designed classic old but lovingly restored train hotel. To truly get it, walk out to the train tracks and turn around; that is the front door you are looking at, not the one you see when you drive up.

We've stayed in four different rooms, including the Hughes suite with its massive four poster bed and kiva fireplace. The desk clerk said something about the fireplace not working now, which was our main reason for choosing that room before, so I would strongly recommend you check on that before booking the Hughes suite if a fireplace is important to you. There was a functioning fireplace in one of the public areas crackling away when we were there this trip.

All of the rooms have an old, creaky wooden floor, western style furnishings and decor and a private bath. We've never had an issue with the bath being too small, although the towel rack in our latest room was opposite the shower so I had to come to my wife's wet rescue, and there isn't much counter space near the sink for toiletries. There was a wall mounted hair drier, though, which my wife considered a wonderful amenity. The bed indeed was hard, but I slept well.

Every morning there is a coffee service set out in the ground floor hallway, and the coffee is excellent. They have both cups with saucers and taller paper cups, so you can choose between a more delicate, historical cup or lots of java. Real cream (maybe it was half and half) and not coffee whitener was is a small pitcher.

In several of the small public rooms there are TVs with a video playing of the hotel's restoration. There is a numbered tour map you can get while you walk around the hotel, too. Yes, some of the art work is a little, um...artistic, but it's just art and in a way I look forward to seeing some of the quirky paintings each year when I return.

The food in the restaurant really is excellent. Thanksgiving dinner was a fixed price menu with several options for the main course and desert, and both mine and my wife’s selections were fabulous. Breakfast is also a treat at La Posada, and if I had to make a choice between the two and could only have one meal there might make it breakfast.

There is no pool, there is no game room, and there are no real meeting facilities at La Posada. There is a new raised entrance garden on the parking lot side of the building, so you no longer have to lug your bags up the short, narrow staircase and fight with the door to get inside. When you do, you return to a time when travel was a luxury, and La Posada was a queen of the desert.

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank CaptainPlanIt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
ALBUQUERQUE, NM
Reviewed November 20, 2008

I was going to be in Winslow, AZ and called ahead two days before to reserve a standard room for $99. With in a half hour they called me back and said they were going to upgrade me to the Bob Hope room for the same price. Wow... sounded good already.

Now I love historical places and staying in a former railroad hotel really peaked my interest. I was driving from Albuquerque to Los Angeles and thought La Posada would be a good place to stay.

It was February and still quite cold outside. Driving in to Winslow I hit snow flurries but easily found the hotel on one of the main drags.

The outside of the building is rather plain looking, that sort of southwest style you see in Albuquerque/Santa Fe.

The inside is gorgeous though. You walk in the doors and right away are transported back in time. No harsh flourescent lighting....just lamps and a beautiful glow about the place.

The Bob Hope room was decent size. My only complaint was the HARD matress. Now I like firm but this was HARD.

But you know what...that did not detract me in the least from liking the place.

I happened to wake up that morning about six a.m. and stepped out on to the patio....it was full on snowing. Everything was white and so beautiful.

I washed up and went downstairs and looked out the picture window facing the trains....I really felt like I was back in time, back in a more simpler place.

I would definately stay here again.

I posted a video of the Bob Hope room on YOUTUBE. Just search Bob Hope Room and it should come up.

• Liked — The Turquoise Room dining, atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Matress was hard but other reviews have said differently. I still slept well.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank LOBOMANUSA
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviewed November 19, 2008

This was the fourth stay for my wife and I. We have loved every visit and this is the first time we arrived by Amtrak which was extra special. Always get a trackside room. Food is great and the staff is wonderful! What more could you ask for.

• Liked — Historic nature of hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drgw489
Longview, Washington
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We enjoy staying at historic inns and hotels, so when we heard that the La Posada had reopened, it went on our list of places to visit on one of our annual trips to AZ.

The hotel was a little difficult to find, there was no address printed on our confirmation letter, and we saw no directional signs from the highway. However, I knew it was next to the railroad tracks so we able to locate it that way.

Our stay at the hotel was in early November, so the gardens in the front of the hotel were not at their best, but one needs to remember that this hotel is a work-in-progress. It easy to see that there are many possibilities for an outstanding restoration.

I thought all the artwork and plants in the hallway made it seem a little cluttered, but in reading the brochure about the history of the hotel, it appears that this was the way Mary Jane Coulter had it decorated. (The potted plants could use a little dusting, though).

I didn't care for the Import Trading shop with the Front Desk area and suggested the Front Desk and small gift shop be separate.

Our room was comfortable and large enough with plenty of closet space. It had a nice view of the garden . Yes, the bathroom was small, but that is usually the case with old inns.
Our room included a TV (sometimes not found in historic inns), and the price was very reasonable. - $99. However, I would be willing to pay a few dollars more for upgraded bed linens--they seemed a little 'tacky'. The only time I heard the trains was when the Eastbound Amtrak whistled its arrival in the morning.

The reasonable price for the room justified spending extra to have dinner in the Turquoise Room. The dinner was excellent!
We did not eat breakfast there, just grabbed a quick breakfast at McDonalds on the way out of town.

This place has such great possibilities it's too bad that the town of Winslow appears so run-down. They need something more than the "Standing on the Corner' park to lure tourists into town.

• Liked — Reasonable price
  • Disliked — A little difficult to locate
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kitters
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed October 30, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the La Posada on our way home from a stay in Santa Fe, NM. What a grand old place this is --- we are already thinking about a return stay. As soon as you walk in you can feel the history --- it's almost like a "hotel museum." At reception, we were given a brochure explaining the history of the building along with a self-guided walking tour, which we completed. While in the sunken garden we happened to run into the owner who lives on the premises and complemented him on the wonderful job he is doing. By the way, in our contacts with the owner as well as the hotel and restaurant staff, it was obvious that they all loved their role in bringing this old gem back to life.

We went down to the bar before dinner and had a drink in their picturesque bar. Our dinner later in the restaurant was simply outstanding -- a real surprise given what an out of the way place Winslow is. We watched the sunset, admired the stained glass windows, and watched the LA bound passenger train arrive and then depart from the immediately-adjacent depot. Later we went up to the ballroom --- someone had considerately built a fire in the fireplace and so we set there for an hour or so.

Be forewarned -- this hotel does not attempt to provide every modern amenity -- that is not what they are about. Thus, there are no elevators and no phones in the rooms. This property is still a work in progress. But the service is excellent and our room was spotless. So if you are looking for a memorably romantic experience, and are in the area, this is a great place for you. On a personal note, I only hope people will support with their patronage what is being undertaken here by some truly dedicated people.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RetiredProsecutor
Williamsburg, VA
Reviewed October 18, 2008

What an incredible place!!! A beautifully restored hacienda-style Harvey House full of Spanish furnishings and unique artwork, housing as well an outstanding dining room. And the owners/restorers of this place are doing the same thing with the Harvey House in Needles, CA.

As far as being a hotel, well, this is a bit of a mixed bag for today's traveler. The rooms are each named for a celebrity who ostensibly stayed there, and are beautifully furnished in hacienda style. But they are small, with tiny bathrooms, so the rooms themselves are not terribly comfortable. Ours was very clean, with a very good bed but poor pillows and poor seating and luggage space. The lighting was excellent. The bathroom was so small it was almost unusable, and the shower was truly terrible. Our hotels of today have given us entirely different expectations, so this is what it is (or was, since the place was designed to be a hotel). The attitude and helpfulness of the staff was Very Good.

Overall, our experience was terrific, despite the cramped room. We walked around town --- not much there anymore, but we checked out the "Standin' on the Corner" attraction about two blocks away, had an outstanding dinner in La Posada's Turquoise Room, watched the trains, and enjoyed the beautifully restored facility. This place is worth the stop in Winslow.

• Liked — Historic facility
  • Disliked — Small cramped room and bathroom, Terrible shower
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RouteRunner
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed October 12, 2008

La Posada is for those who are train or history buffs and for those who appreciate fine architecture. It is a true gem!

Some sacrifices are being made to historical resotration in order to make it attractive to present day guests. For example, all rooms have private baths and A/C units. We've stayed 2 times in the Harry Truman Room - an extra large room with king bed and jacuzzi bath on the first floor. Upstairs, the Howard Hughes room looked lovely too -- also deluxe and with a fireplace. Rooms are all uniquely decorated in keeping with the southwest flavor.

Be aware that restoration work goes on constantly so you'll hear hammering and banging during the day. Also, 6 sets of train tracks go just steps from the hotel's door and they are busy night and day. We enjoyed the rumbling of the trains as part of the experience. (Make sure the room you request is nearer to the parking lot side of the hotel than to the train tracks side.)

The parking lot has now been paved and gardens are being restored. Winslow is pretty dumpy but La Posada's parking lot is lit and the police station is right across the street. You will have to drag your baggage upstairs if you select a room on the second floor.

Our meals at the hotel's Turquoise Room were excellent, but expensive. Service at one meal was slow as they were very busy. You will probably spend $100 or more for a modest dinner for two. You cannot get out for under $20 for breakfast for two. Splurge there at least once (menus are posted so you'll know prices and choices beforehand). We really liked Rosa's restaurant, just across the street in the next block, for more reasonably priced good food.

This is not a place with attractions for children. Teens won't appreciate it either. No pool or resort type amenities. But if history, trains, or architecture are you thing, you'll love it.

• Liked — Historical interest
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank coloradocarol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winslow
Best Western Plus Winslow Inn
#5 of 14 in Winslow
Oak Tree Inn
Oak Tree Inn
#9 of 14 in Winslow

Been to La Posada Hotel? Share your experiences!