“Better than expected”

Best Western Plus Winslow Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Winslow
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

I was traveling from California to New Jersey, and randomly stopped at this hotel. I normally stay at Hilton's or Marriott's, but there were none locally, so I checked into the Best Western. I was pleasantly surprised, the clerk was on the ball, and suggested a restaurant, for dinner. The room was clean, comfortable, and new. In the morning I had the free breakfast, and it was much more that expected. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank njbearhunter
lodgingowner, Owner at Best Western Plus Winslow Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Winslow Inn.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are delighted to read your comments. My staff and I try very hard to give unexpected hospitality to our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you again the next time your travels bring you through Winslow, AZ !

Reviewed August 24, 2012

After being on the road for 14 hours, we spoke with the front desk, on the phone, asking about availability. The young lady at the desk was very helpful, held our room until we arrived an hour after the call, and was probably the nicest person we had met on our long journey. The hotel was very clean, the room extremely nice, and a great complimentary drink when we arrived! We were there 12/10/12.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa H

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Winslow Inn and were most pleased to read your comments. My staff and I try very hard to give great service and we all, especially the GM, appreciated your comments on the our new breakfast menu.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

First of all, only stay in Winslow if you absolutely have to. The ONLY thing to see in Winslow is the "Standing on the Corner..." memorial. The town probably *had* potential, but most decent storefronts are closed and everything else is downright frightening. The local community is trying to turn things around, but they have a long way to go. There are just about no places to eat, but we were pleasantly pleased to find Casa Blanca Cafe. The Best Western appears to be brand new, which was a huge relief. Hotel was clean and quiet, with a good continental breakfast (pancakes, cereal, juices, eggs, coffee, muffins, yogurt, etc).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dana L
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We came in after dark and were not disappointed by the hotel or room! Staff was very friendly!! The room was nice, we had a king - go get ice in bucket and put it in the hotel fridge and you have a REAL fridge! Breakfast was very good and breakfast room large enough to move around in. Go "stand on the corner!"

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

After more than a week of horrific news about wildfires in Colorado, we drove through Arizona wildfire smoke on I-40 getting to Winslow.

When our reservation was pulled up on their computer, it showed $40 per night more than what I had heard in the reservation agent's quote a few days earlier. Yes, that"s right, we could take it or leave it.

Of course we were tired and rather than take our chances with more of the smoke-choked Interstate, we chose to stay. Even when the signs are there, we sometimes fail to heed the warning.

On my call to the front desk to report that I had no hot water for a shower, I was told that this had happened a few months ago but they thought it was fixed. Obviously it had not been fixed and, further, the desk clerk said, there was no one to call to come and fix it.

Let me see if I have this right. As part of a national chain, you have no staff engineer, no maintenance person, and not even a handyman familiar enough with the plumbing to offer help in such a case? What does your management syllabus say that the desk clerk should do if a major water leak occurs? Run?

The next morning I awoke anticipating that the overburdened water heater system must have recovered and that I would then get rid of the road grunge from the day before. Wrong! That morning there was still no hot water!

Would we take a chance on another location in that chain? Well, let's just say, "Fool me once, shame on you..." If I were to go there again I would be asking for more.

I still remember the voice from the front desk telling me that there was no one to call about plumbing problems. Isn't this a business? Right, monkey business.

Room Tip: Be sure to have a family friend or relative in the area so that you can have the basic amenities ava...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John L

Thank you for taking time to give us your comments on your stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Winslow Inn.

I must admit I hardly know how to respond to your comments as we usually do a very good job of meeting or exceeding our guests expectations, and I'm very sorry we didn't meet our goals with your stay.

As to the cost of the room, I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding on our rate. Our Best Western Reservation Department usually does a spectacular job of this, and I guarantee you we do not move our rates up and down by more than 10.00 per night and never when a room is guaranteed at a specific rate.

We did have a hot water problem on the Sunday morning you speak of. The problem was a leak in the line between the hot water tank and the circulating pump that moves the water through the hotel The first reports came to the FD agent a bit before 6AM and he contacted me. I began trying to get one of two local plumbers to the hotel at that time as we do have cell phone numbers in case of an emergency like this. Unfortunately, it was Sunday AM, so they didn't respond until after church services. I hope you will understand in a very small town like Winslow, there isn't back up service. We are at the mercy of our local service people and often have to wait for parts and even service from Flagstaff or Phoenix. Each Best Western is individually owned and operated and my 54 room property doesn't have round the clock engineers. At times like what you experienced, I truly wish we did.
I am very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. It was an unusual problem but that didn't make things easy for you or our other guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit, all feedback helps us in our efforts to give the best possible service we can.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My hubby and I rolled into Winslow, AZ around 8:00 pm after driving for 15 hours that day. The front desk staff were very quick to get us registered and into our rooms. They recommended a local pizza restaurant that delivered to the hotel for some dinner grub. We ordered and the pizza was there in 30 minutes, excellent service. The breakfast served was by far the freshest complimentary breakfast we had on our two-week journey. Biscuits & Gravy, fresh scrambled eggs, sausage, and make-it-yourself waffles. The staff was quick to replenish the breakfast trays too. The only downside was the bed was a bit uncomfortable and seemed kinda old.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HunnyBunny1969
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We booked this room because it had good reviews, was located right off the freeway, and had an indoor pool and spa. The plan was after 20 hours on the road, the adults would relax in the spa while the kids played in the pool...when we arrived we found out they recently filled in the spa and haven't updated their website. False advertising!!!

• Stayed: July 2012