“Very Educating”

Navajo Nation Museum
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I made it a point to visit the museum on my recent trip to the area. I knew that I was going to come away from it with a greater appreciation for the Dine. I am glad that I made the stop.

Growing up in Utah and even building a house on the Navajo reservation during college didn't teach me the unique and tragic history of the Navajo. This museum did.

When I first entered the museum I was wondering what I would see - the exhibits were in a small wing to the left of the desk. Though small, I was quickly overcome with the beauty, significance and talent of the artists and their work. The prints of Melanie Yazzie really caught my eye. A video of her describing her process told her story well. Behind the contemporary section was an area displaying artifacts and traditional items. These were beautiful and captivating, but I thought a little sterile. Finally the last section told the story of the Navajo and the unfortunate meddlings of the U.S. government. Fortunately after 3 years of torment the Navajo were allowed back to their original lands.

I had always wondered where the traditional tribal lands of the Navajo were, and was surprised to find that it is right were I was standing.

I hope to be able to bring my children through this area and let them see the beautiful people and the equally beautiful land they call home.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I wasn't expecting an art exhibit, but much of the space was given to paintings. I was hoping to get more of history and life. There was an overview of history and some interactive exhibits which were nice. Nice gift shop. I was the only person there.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Not the greatest zoo, but represents local , indigenous animals. Free admission, although donations probably go a long way.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We enjoyed the paintings and learning about the history of the Navajo people, some of which we were familiar with and some we were not. Our visit was on a Monday morning, so there was not much going on. The hogan outside was locked, so no chance to look inside.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This museum is adjacent to the Quality Inn, so we walked over and spent a couple hours here one day. Admission is free, but we gave generously to their donations jar. We visited a different Navajo Nation Museum in Tuba City years ago, so I was afraid this would just be a copy. But I like this one more. It's got several galleries on different aspects of Navajo history, art, and life.

When we visited, there was one section on the history of the Navajo Nation, starting around the time of the Long Walk. It was focused largely on Manuelito and his family. Then there was another section on historic and pre-historic artifacts with an emphasis on the pre-Columbian lifestyle. The last exhibit was an unexpected delight - an art exhibit of modern art by native women, largely about native women.