“Not highly recommended”

Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Williams
South Carolina
“Not highly recommended”
Reviewed October 4, 2009

The Westener was in a great location, and I guess if all you wanted to do was spend one night and then be on your way the next morning, it was a bargain. The room was very small, the shower stall was VERY VERY small and there was no room to put your toilet articles except a shelf over the toilet. It was fairly clean, but I did have to ask that they clean the mold out of the shower stall. The continental breakfast was coffee and a cookie. All in all my suggestion would be to spend the extra $20 and stay somewhere else. I wish we had.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scfarm

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Nijmegen
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I've been on holiday in US for three weeks and in these weeks this was badest motel.
An indian family runs the show here and they don't really seem to care about their guests, very un interested. Overall the whole motel is very unclean, especially the bathroom (old, small an very unclean).
They pretent to have an internet cafe but this is not true, you can use the internet at the frontdesk for very high rates...
The town of williams is a bit a sad place (did they make a horror movie over here??), better drive 30 miles more to Flagstaff.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MadLuc

Travelers are raving about these Williams hotels

Scottsdale
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I had a bad feeling about this place since we first stepped into the office. The owner (man, seemingly from India), was arguing with an Asian family about what room he would allowed them to rent. Apparently they wanted to have 5 people into a 4-person room. The owner was determined to get his way a treated them awful. I understand he wanted to enforce his business' regulations, but when that family left, all he did was talk bad about them. " The Chinese and my people; they're all liars!." he said. He went on and on about it while we got checked in.

The room was lame too. old furniture and appliances. It was all cramped inside and dusty, and the bed awfully uncomfortable. everything was truly depressing. The worst was the towels which were all different textures and tones of dirty. I didn't dare to use them.

At night we got woken up by a spider crawling on my boyfriends arm and later by the train which was real loud from our location. We were itchy all night thinking that it was psychologically caused by thinking about the spider.

We left the place extra early to end the nightmare, but the nightmare didn't let us go. It was all real; apparently BEDBUGS feasted on me while we stayed at that motel. I have the worst bumps I've had in my entire life and the itching is nearly unbearable. YOU DON'T WANT TO STAY IN THAT PLACE I assure you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Fabsnmike
azladynred
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We picked this motel because of the location to the Disney A Christmas Carol Train promotion that was going on for 3 days in Williams. We drove up from Queen Creek to see it. It was AWESOME! We even took a ride on the Grand Canyon Express Train. We arrived at the Westerner with no reservation and they got us in a room upstairs. It was clean and comfortable and very inexpensive for a night in such a cool town. We slept very well. We got complimentary donuts in the morning for breakfast in their cafe.

We were on our way home when our 5 year old announced that he had left his Dad's antique train in the nightstand. I almost fainted. I called the motel and the very nice lady said she would check the room and to call back. Long story short, she found it and I mailed her a prepaid box and she mailed it back. It was awesome. A very honest establishment with hard working people that actually care about their customers. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 2, 2009

The place is run by India people. Stopped in last minute and the lady had a forlorn and contemptuous look when we walked in. She seemed mad that we were even there and needed a room. The prices were no different then any other motel in the area, it just happened to be the first place we stopped.

Rooms were comparable to the cheap rate. No clock, limited toiletries, outdated phone. Heater worked but seemed outdated as well.

Okay experience but the other motels around the quaint little Williams town looked better and had Americans running them. Try somewhere else.

• Liked — Location. Cheap rate.
  • Disliked — Snobby, pissed off staff. Not run by Americans.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank CompassR0se
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed September 11, 2008

Last month I did a cross country motorcycle ride with my best friend. We rode into the parking lot of this hotel and the attendant was standing there waiting for us with a disgusted look on his face, as if to be telling us to hurry. I greeted him and he immediately replied with a smug look and told us that we had rented two rooms for the night.

We had been planning this trip for over 2 months. I booked all my reservations about a month prior to our departure and one week before departure I called all the hotels we’d be staying at to check up on my reservations. When I called this place they told me that I had made no such reservations there. I was on the phone for at least 20 minutes trying to confirm this but the attendant assured me that I was not on the reservation log. So I went ahead and booked it, again.

Fast forward to that day and my incredulous look when he gave me the slip stating that I owed him $144 for our stay. I tried reasoning with him but the guy did not want to budge and only kept pointing at the log book and stating that it was my fault.

At that point I was very disgusted and told my friend what I thought about this place. The attendant apparently didn’t like my remarks so he ripped up the slip and told us that we couldn’t stay there.

We grabbed our things and rode to the motel directly in front of it and stayed there the night for the same price.

Unfortunately, I am currently fighting the charge with my credit card company and they have informed me that only one of the charges can be disputed but due to this place’s cancellation agreement that the initial one could not. I’d love to take this place to small claims court but I’d lose more than I’d gain so I guess he will be getting away with this one. But I’d like to put the word out there that the Westerner Hotel in Williams Arizona should be avoided at all cost. The place is a dump and the people running it do not deserve our patronage.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the people running it.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank cyberdos
Rouen, France
Reviewed August 26, 2008

The motel was old, quite run-down. The A/C was an afterthought that we did not use, the wire runs halfway in mid-air across the washbasin, the extraction fan in the bath made you think you were on a soviet-era aeroflot flight on a turboprop to Siberia. However it was clean and the beds were good. Advertized in the room was 'deluxe continental breakfast'. It consisted in two thermo-containers, one with tea, the other with coffee and some dry cookies, conveniently located in front of the cars against the exterior wall. 'Deluxe' probably referred to the vast standing space as it was devoid of any seat or table and it being sheltered from rain. Discussing the sense of the term continental breakfast with the owners in English was futile, one might have a better chance if one's command of hindi or tamul were sufficient.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family