“Okay, I'll be REALLY honest”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Williams
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Williams
United States
“Okay, I'll be REALLY honest”
Reviewed February 11, 2008

It has taken me a long time to write this review. I didn't know how I wanted to list both its negative and positive aspects. Finally, I decided to just be honest. I'll start with the negatives: When opening up my first floor windows to view the thunderstorm, I noticed someone pacing outside in the rain. I was on the first floor and could see a dark figure through some of the missing fence parts. To put it politely, it was a young prostitute trying to offer her services. I immediately closed the windows and curtains. Later on, when my family returned, I was trying to find a way to go outside without running into her. I paced and paced, looking out of the upper hotel windows and until I was sure she was gone. But, there she was again, this time sitting up with the horse coach woman. I wouldn't even look at her. (A reviewer who titled their review Eeeuwww! What is That Smell? was referring to the horse manure - that, combined with the downpour and the fact that one of my relatives stepped in it on our way to the pool - and the brazen hooker - made me think that this hotel would be far better off losing the horse and chasing that girl out of there).
Now the positives: The Pakistan/Bangledesh/Indian people who run the hotel seem genuinely nice. When my family walked over to the train station to go visit the Grand Canyon, the foreign family were hospitable enough to give me an early morning room to get some rest, without charging me a dollar more.
I am very grateful to them for that. The kids LOVED the giant indoor pool and large jacuzzi. Right next to the hotel is a laundromat that I washed all of my clothes at - the dryers are wonderfully hot. Across the street is an interesting little house converted into a medievel shop. I took the kids over there later and bought an Egyptian music CD. The owner has put a lot of work into his shop, ordering merchandise from around the world. I recognized some of his metal as likely coming from Toledo, Spain, which is known for its castles.
So in closing I still give this hotel four stars out of five because the owners could have made me wait many hours before giving me a room to rest in. With a little "clean up", this place could be great!

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — Prostitution
  • Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
ca
Reviewed August 14, 2007

we made a reservation and when we got there, they gave away our revservation to somebody else even though we confirmed beforehand.
a man in front was very, very rude when we were talking. was found out frm another place that they are always like that to customers.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank jonpogie
Arizona
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Pros: the indoor pool and jacuzzi. It would have been nice to have towels by the pool, but that would be a bit too high-class for this hotel. The beds were surprisingly comfortable for a hotel in this category.

Cons: Pillows were some sort of foam and not very comfortable. The woman at the front desk was curt and refused to give me a AAA discount. Dreary room.

Because there are so many other hotels in Williams in this category and I don't care to reward rude behavior of employees with repeat business, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — indoor pool
  • Disliked — rude front desk, dirty carpet in room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank 2Kids4Dogs
las vegas
Reviewed June 29, 2007

The staff was downright rude, the lobby was unairconditioned and stank of curry, and the "continental breakfast" consisted of stale doughnut holes. The owner's family had the kids running around and the mother was yelling at them the whole time.

In the morning there was no one to check us out, so we dropped the key in the drop box. The woman then came out and we informed her that we dropped the key off she sneered, "Yeah, that's what it's there for," and walked away.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The rudeness of the staff.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mapsytsuj
Albany, California
Reviewed April 29, 2007

I've made the online reservation with hotelsvalued dot com online reservation system. They've probably made a mistake booking two rooms instead of one requested for 3 people (or they have buggy software, or maybe they just making money together?). But that was not known until we arrived at Howard Johnson Express Inn in Williams near midnight, tired after 8 hours of driving. I've signed the receipt almost blindly on check in. Only when the hotel owner (as he's introduced himself) gave me two keys, I've realized that something is wrong. I've asked him politely about that, explaining that we are just a small family with little child and showed him the printed online reservation confirmation page for a single room, that it's must be a mistake... He started yelling at me! Arguing that he is booked full, and that it's not his problem, but mine... He refused to refund me in the morning for not using the second room in very unfriendly manner. The hotelsvalued dot com online reservations is not answering my mails for two weeks either. Their Hotel Review page returns errors too...

• Liked — Easy location
  • Disliked — Personnel attitude
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Alexku
Windsor, CO
Reviewed April 1, 2007

This is a very clean hotel. Room was great. Has a big pool and a larger-than-usual hot tub.

I'm writing a review because when we checked in, I specifically asked if the hotel had a pool that was working. The front desk guy said yes. But when we got to the pool (I have four kids), it was freezing, unswimmable. And the hot tub was broken.

The manager told us to come back in about a half hour, which we did. The pool thermometer said the water was 85 degrees, but a quick touch of the hand proved that number to be waaaaaaay too high. Even the manager agreed. He told us to come back in the morning.

I told him we wouldn't have time to swim in the morning, that the sole reason we chose his hotel over the many others in the area is because it had an indoor pool. I told him I'd like some compensation for the problem since what we were getting was not what we were promised.

He said he'd give me 20% off the total, which came to about $30. I told him I'd be satisfied with $50. And while he clearly did not want to give me a refund of that size, we were renting 2 rooms (adjoining) from him, so he could afford to. And, without any further haggling, he gave me the refund. And five packs of chewing gum upon checkout!

So I promised I'd write this review. The problem was inconvenient, but the manager worked with me and the issue was resolved to my satisfaction. That isn't always the case.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank JerseyGirl65
Belfast
Reviewed July 10, 2005

The Howard Johnson, got my tour group out of a hole when the Holiday Inn, Williams resold our rooms. Other than the smell of Brinjal pickle, the hotel was conveniently located and was reasonably clean. Pool was small but the Jacuzzi was a nice touch. Lack of breakfast was a downer. OK overall.

Stayed July 2005