“Canyon Motel and RV Park”

Canyon Motel & RV Park
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Williams
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is such a cool park. I was looking for somewhere to spend a month at while I waited for temp in Bullhead City to cool down. I found several RV parks in Williams.. When I called Canyon I was chearfully greeted and felt this was the park I should choose and with a very reasonable monthly rate I signed up. When I arrived at the park I was a day early and the girl that helped me on the phone was very helpful and understanding and greeted me cheerfully.

This park is so cool, the sites are very large and has a table on each lot. There is a really neat fire ring full of wood for anyone to use. The swimming pool was a big plus it is enclosed and pretty good size to. There are some cool little motel rooms inside of old trains. Everyone at the park was friendly very nice and happy to work there.

Thanks for a great stay and I will be back for sure Aloha Greg

Room Tip: oops could not de select fitness center..
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Gus L

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed in Railcar #3. Friends with an infant stayed in Railcar #2. All 3 Railcar rooms share a nice deck with comfortable seating (Railcar #1 is very small, queen bed only). #2 & #3 Each came with a queen bed, flat screen TV, refrigerator and clean bathrooms (floors appeared recently updated). #2 also has a nice sturdy futon while #3 also has a newer queen sleeper sofa. If traveling with a portable crib Railcar #3 has a slightly better layout. Also had friends staying in the small cottage type rooms very near the Railcar. It had a king bed and a twin sofa sleeper. Cleaning staff was attentive. We're already talking about doing the same next year.

Indoor pool area is ok. Patio type furniture for those not swimming. Continual ventilation in the poolroom would have been an added extra.

Room Tip: Railcar #3 has a toilet room. The tub/shower is separate, the shower area is in the room by the tota...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a 1930's train. I don't think it had been cleaned since they brought it!! There was a wasps nest on our door which the 'handyman' sprayed with insecticide when I complained and told us that they always nest on this door!!! We were expecting compact and bijou but not old and dirty which is what we got and the bed has to be the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in! All in all, I wouldn't even recommend this place to an avid train spotter it was awful!! And expensive!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank 68sf
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were in Train car #1. It was small and rather dark but had a shower and microwave and mini fridge. Towels were skimpy, free coffee service not good and the heated indoor pool was not warm enough for my husband's daily swim. Check in was fast and pleasant but overall, there is not much to recommend. It is in a noisy location, with the expected train noise and highway noise but there is also noise from the RV park, in our case, unattended barking dogs in a trailer. Fortunately did not bark all night.

The place is a little shabby and could use landscaping and a general tidy up: there was standing water in an adjacent creek teeming with mosquitos.

Price was not bad but probably too high at $86.00 for a location outside of town: there are several motels in the town that charge about the same and you don't have to drive to the restaurants. One pays for the experience of sleeping in a vintage train car: it had charm and I did not look at the vintage rooms. There is a small general store in the office area that is open until 10PM.

Room Tip: I would try one of the vintage rooms furthest from the RV park.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joiemacadam
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Booked well in advance & therefor committed, as quirky (where else can you stay in an ex railroad car?) as expected but nothing really to recommend it although the staff we met were friendly enough although we had little contact for the period of our stay. Small very basic room, best description I can think of is adequate at best.
Perhaps it is classic you get what you pay for but I would much prefer to pay more for better.
Definitely too far away from the Grand Canyon to make it the ideal base - my fault there - stay in Valle or Tusayan.
In my humble opinion this is suffering the typical problem of countless small Motels where major investment is needed if they are to stay in business - being quirky itself isn't enough, neither is relying on non-returning clientele such as us.
On the plus side, Williams is a nice Route 66 town with some good eating places.

Room Tip: All of the lodgings appear to be far enough away from the road for noise not to be an issue so can...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael S
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We (family of 4, 12/14 y/olds) were looking for a unique place to stay for a night on the way to the Grand Canyon, and we found it. We chose a caboose (No. 2), as it is not shared with any other guests. The caboose has its own area across the creek bed from the rest of the motel. It has a double bed in the front area when you enter, as well as mini fridge, microwave and small TV up on the wall. In the back there are three train beds - an upper and lower on one side, and an upper on the other side. You can see out the top windows from the upper beds, which are adult length, and there is a little black and white TV as well. The small bathroom is in between the front and back (you walk through the bathroom to go from front to back). It was clean, and the owners have done a good job putting as many amenities in a small space as possible. Of course, that leaves little room to move around. The office has a small store with sundries and souvenirs, and there is an indoor pool (we did not use it). The location is okay, a couple minutes outside 'downtown' Williams. We chose this spot because it is different and thought the kids would have fun with it - they did initially but the novelty wore off quickly. So that was probably a miscalculation on our part, as they certainly would have liked it more four or five years ago. So this is a difficult stay to rate. If the interior space was in a regular room, I'd give it a 2 or 3 rating. But the uniqueness of the caboose pushes the grade up. So this would be great for younger kids, but not so much for older ones. Btw, we were glad we spent a night in Williams. The gunfight show was fun (and free). And while the short main Rte. 66 drag doesn't look like much in the afternoon daylight, it's pretty cool when it gets dark and all the old neon signs come to life.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed in one of the cottages in July. It was clean and nice. We had a small fridge, king bed, sofa, TV, nice air conditoning. If you are looking for the Ritz with lots of luxuries, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for clean, resonably priced and not in down town, this is the place for you. Everyone in the office was really nice. They were really busy when we were there but they were doing their best to help everyone as fast as possible. Would stay there again if we ever got back to the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple