“Tasty food, big portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kicks on Route 66

Kicks on Route 66
Ranked #2 of 57 Restaurants in Williams
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Kicks is a bar and grille serving lunch and dinner along with Sunday brunch. With a wide variety menu, everything is made in house and locally sourced.
Tromso, Norway
“Tasty food, big portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

We ate there for two nights. The staff is very friendly. Too much light inside the restaurant, but all together, it is a good and affordable restaurant.
I ate the lamb on day one, and steak on day two. Portions are enormous, as it is usually is in USA.

Sally O, Owner at Kicks on Route 66, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
We thank you for taking the time to review us at Kick's on Route 66. We are new! It feels great to get such great reviews already! We all put in many hours day and night working so hard to make Kick's a great place to eat and drink.

You have so many choices, we are truly honored that you chose us!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Favorite!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

We went and ate dinner at this new restaurant and it was fantastic! When we first walked in I couldn't believe how wonderfully decorated it was! The colors and the art work is amazing. Definitely one of the best looking restaurants I've seen. Not only was the decor amazing, but the food was phenomenal. We had the fire bringer wings (the homemade sauce was to die for), the 66 burger, and the Salmon. The food was so fresh and so flavorful. I definitely want to go back there again. It's my new favorite restaurant!

Sally O, Owner at Kicks on Route 66, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
What a great review!! It feels so wonderful to know that you choose us as your new favorite restaurant and that you get and appreciate our concept!!

It is so nice to be able to read such kind reviews to our amazing staff. They all take such pride in Kicks. I could not ask for a more loyal staff and without them, this would not be possible.

We hope to see you again should you ever be in Northern Arizona in the future.

Los Angeles, California
“Yummy food and great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

I am so happy that we stopped here before heading back to our hotel. We were tired and a bit disappointed by a rainy experience at the Grand Canyon, but our meal definitely helped make up for that. There were eight of us (including three kids) and we were seated promptly. We ordered the traditional wings and jalapeño kickers to start. I was a bit worried because the wings don't have different heat levels to choose from, but they were absolutely perfect! Just the right amount of heat and not too much vinegar, which is a pleasant change from a lot of other restaurants. The kickers were amazing as well. The prickly pear sauce gives them a nice mix of sweet and spicy. I did try one that was a little too hot for me, but my mom loves spicy food so she was more than willing to help me out with that.
Our main dishes also came out in a timely fashion, especially considering how many of us there were. I got the Sonoran stuffed chicken which is stuffed with a mix of goat cheese and poblano peppers and has a roasted corn sauce on top. The chicken was juicy, cooked perfectly and the goat cheese and pepper stuffing amazing. I'm a sucker for roasted corn and the sauce definitely did not disappoint. It added just the right touch to the whole thing. My hubby had the half rack of baby back ribs and he was in heaven! He is very hard to impress and he just loved the Asian style bbq sauce on the ribs. He deemed them tender, juicy and incredibly flavorful. My sister had the ribeye and my dad had the New York steak and they were both cooked perfectly. My sis let me try a bite of the ribeye and it was delicious. Great beef flavor and super juicy! Mom had the Pollo Semilla de Calabaza, which is basically chicken with mole sauce, and she was very impressed with the rich flavor of the sauce. All of the entrees came with yummy mixed vegetables, except for the ribs which came with a great coleslaw, and a choice of one side. Most of us got the garlic mashed potatoes, but mom got the sweet potato puree and hubby got the fries. All of them were delicious! My son ordered the spaghetti with bison meatballs and my niece and nephew got the PBJ sandwich and grilled cheese sandwich. The sandwiches were huge and the meatballs had great flavor. We often find that it’s still pretty rare for restaurants to use organic ingredients so we really appreciated the use of organic ingredients in the kid’s meals and the option of organic regular and chocolate milk as well.
Our server, Julian, was attentive and friendly and great with the kids. We often find that servers either tend to hover and check in too much, or are inattentive and distracted. Julian did a great job of making sure to check in with us after we got our food and kept our drinks full, but still gave us space to enjoy our meals. We went back to our hotel satisfied and decided to stop there again for lunch the next day before heading back to Cali.
The next day for lunch, we were again seated quickly. We decided to try the chips and salsa as a starter this time and we were happy we did. The chips and salsa are made in house and the salsa had great flavor and just the right amount of heat. I was surprised to see that they offer a banh mi sandwich and decided to order it. I was not disappointed! The bread was soft on the inside and had a nice crusty outside. I’ve had banh mis before where the bread left the roof of my mouth all cut up and this one was just right. The pork was flavored with wonderful Asian spices and the daikon and carrot pickle added a nice crunch. Hubby opted for the French dip sandwich with au jus. Again, my hard to please hubby loved his food. The beef was tender and the au jus full of rich, beefy flavor. The bread was also just right, soft in the middle with a nice crisp outside. My dad ordered the bison burger which had mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes mixed in and was topped with avocado. It was cooked perfectly and he loved the flavor. It was nice to see that the bun was the right size for the burger and it held together even though the burger was quite juicy. My sister got the Bill Williams salad which had slices of grilled beef, poblano peppers, cotija cheese and corn and came with a chipotle ranch dressing that is made in house. She had never had poblanos in a salad, but she said the combination was delicious. All of the ingredients tasted fresh and the dressing had a nice kick to it. Mom got the spinach salad and added grilled chicken to it. It had goat cheese, avocado and bacon and came with an amazing house made citrus vinaigrette. She loved that it had a generous portion of goat cheese and said it’s one of the best salads she’s ever tasted. All three of the kids decided to repeat their entrée orders from the previous night and again, were quite happy with what they got. Our server that day was Sierra and she was really sweet and attentive. She even checked with the kitchen when my picky niece decided she didn’t want any of the sides that were offered on the menu and told us that she could give my niece a side of watermelon instead. Of course, that meant the boys now wanted watermelon for their sides as well and Sierra was happy to oblige.
Since all of our food had so far been fabulous, we decided to go ahead and order a couple of desserts to share. We had the Mexican chocolate brownie and the Elvis. My favorite was the brownie sundae, which had pecans and chocolate ice cream, all topped with chocolate sauce. It was wonderfully rich and chocolaty without being at all overpowering. The Elvis had some amazing moist banana bread, vanilla ice cream, walnuts, bacon bits and a peanut butter chocolate sauce on top. My sister and mom loved this one and would each have gladly ordered one just for themselves, but you know…gotta maintain that “girlish figure”.
All in all, it was a fantastic experience. We will definitely be recommending this place to friends and family and anyone who is planning to be in the area.

Sally O, Owner at Kicks on Route 66, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Dear Luciana T, we are so happy to hear of your wonderful experience with us. It sure does feel good to read your review to my staff who absolutely takes ownership in Kick's. Without them, we would never be able to do this!

We are very new, and still trying to work out all of the kinks. In a small town it is extremely challenging to find great employees, but we have been blessed! Thank you!!

Please come back and see us again soon,
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Went with husband and two boys under ten. Very friendly staff, quick service and good quality food - great steaks! Great value.

Visited July 2014
Sally O, Owner at Kicks on Route 66, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Dear Lushlisa, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review us at Kick's on Route 66. We offer high quality, fresh, locally sourced and house made menu options. I am so happy to know you see the value in this! Many of our ingredients are organic, everything is made fresh in house, even our mayonnaise!

Again, thank you so much! It was our pleasure having you and we hope to have you again some day!

Denver, Colorado
“Great Remodel Of Denny's..... Kicks Food Not So Good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

3 times your out......

As a local resident of Williams, Arizona since 2006 we have had plenty of time and opportunity to try all the restaurants and take our friends and relatives out when they come to visit. It's very sad that we have to drive into Flagstaff to get quality food and a fun experience with the lack of GOOD eating establishment choices in Williams.

When the owners announced the Denny's building would be remodeled and a new image created with a "chef" from out of the area selected to bring on interesting food choices, we were very excited about the change!

The remodel transforming from Denny's to Kicks was top notch, the place is open, colorful and clean as you can see in the photos. A trendy and upscale feel!

Often when a restaurant opens they have bugs to iron out so we try a new place 3 times.

1. The first time we went for lunch our expectations were high with the influence of the new chef and the culinary expertise he was to bring to the menu and dining experience. I chose the Vietnamese salad which was a mistake. The dressing was tart and diluted, the lettuce was full of romaine hearts and wilted like it had been in the refrigerator for days. My husband had a burger that looked good on the outside but the "fresh baked daily" bun was hard, stale and dry the hamburger was also dry and tasteless. I had taken photos and thew them away as I was not going to write a review without trying another 2 times. It took for EVER for the food to come and there were only 3 other people in the restaurant. One group was connected to the owner and they were served before we were and came in at least 15 minutes after we sat down.

2. The second time we took a friend for lunch and the waitress said the French Dip was great. Remembering how hard the hamburger bun was we thought that with the au jus we could always dip the bun and enjoy. All three of us ordered the French Dip and all 3 of us did not like it at all the au jus did not help the bad bread situation. The friend we took to lunch has been a resort manager and involved with food service for over 25 years. Her husband is a trained chef from Europe so their culinary skills are sharp when it comes to judging food. The waitress had the owner come over who explained that the bread was baked fresh daily and they were still tweaking the recipe. My friend asked how many days ago was it baked as that bread did not taste like it was baked today. He persisted on saying the stale, hard buns were a product of todays baked goods. The sandwich was horrible and even the meat was again dry. The owner offered us one small dip of gelato because none of us cared for the French Dip. He said the gelato was also made fresh and we would really enjoy the flavorful treat. That was not the case it was just ok.. but the flavor he described did not meet the expectations he described on how sensational it was going to be.

None of us could finish the $13.00 (I think) French Dip sandwich because it was so bad. The lunch for three only having soft drinks being over $42.00 made me think I would not be going back again. The Nordstrom's quality of service attitude of trying to make a local consumer happy was just not coming through. Trendy upscale restaurants satisfy their customers. Tourists have no choice.. they can get taken advantage of and the business does not have them back again but a local should at least be satisfied with the resolution to a bad meal and this was our 2nd bad lunch.

3. My friend and her European trained chef husband made the 3rd try for us. He did not want to be swayed by our opinions of the food and wanted to try for himself. He tried the infused hamburger and felt the same way about the dry bread and meat. He knew that the bun had not been baked on that day. They waited 35 minutes for the food to be served and when he asked why it was taking so long the waiter told him the medium well burgers took a long time. The couple indicated they did NOT order medium well and were never asked the temperature they would like it cooked. The waiter had also worked and Denny's and continues to tell customers his entire life story. He mentioned to the couple the reviews on Trip Advisor and how good they were which was the inspiration for me to go ahead to post this one with a dose of reality from a local. The seasoned reviewers with 58 or more reviews had different opinions. Needless to say the couple will not be back again either.

Kicks NEW open floor plan has a welcoming feel however, it does allow noise to carry from the bar through the restaurant. So when you have people watching a sporting event at the bar, laughing, hollering and enjoying themselves it is very loud for the tables close to the bar area. The first time we were there a German couple was at the bar watching the World Cup enjoying the win and noise was hard to even have a conversation over.

The menu, the decor are all top notch however the cooks are not cutting it! Sad to say the Denny's food was better. This is a "wannabe" attempt at bring a fun trendy, organic restaurant to Williams and is #failing at this point. 8-14-14 Keep watching reviews.. it might get better.... we can always hope!

Dear Cosmic Cowpie,
Thank you for the compliment about the décor, it is a passion of mine. I hope you got my private message regarding your review. I am sorry that we chose not to use your blogging services to promote our restaurant and wonder if we had been paying, might you have liked the restaurant more?

I had to chuckle when you said you wished it was still a Denny's since you complained each and every time you came into Denny's as well... I remember how the servers begged not to have to wait on you. I think you ate at Denny's many times for free because you were impossible to please, we expected the same when we saw you come in to Kick's twice!