Grand Canyon Hotel
$150
RodewayInn
Best Western Plus Inn Of Williams(Williams)(Great Value!)
$120
Days Inn Williams(Williams)(Great Value!)
$119
$116
Comfort Inn Near Grand Canyon(Williams)(Great Value!)
$172
$143
ComfortInn
$104
$210
The Lodge On Route 66(Williams)(Great Value!)
$140
Highlander Motel(Williams)(Great Value!)
$79
$230
Canyon Motel & RV Park(Williams)(Great Value!)
$92
Agoda.com
All reviewsoldest hoteldifferent themeshared bathroomnautical roomcarriage houseprivate bathparis roomauthentic hotelpick your ownstep back in timegrand canyonmodern conveniencesdecorated differentlydouble bedthe main hotelthe main streetold west
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels in the last few years, and find that the greeting you receive when you walk through the door is often indicative of how well a hotel is managed. I arrived in town after having spent 2 nights with little sleep. I have asthma and allergies, and cannot handle the scented room fresheners hotels often spray in rooms. They give me severe physical symptoms. But usually I simply request that they not spray them, and the hotel is happy to oblige. In this case, I called ahead and made that request into their answering machine (they only answer the phone and staff their front desk for limited hours each day). When I walked through the door, the male owner of the place greeted me with a scowl and said, "And who might you be?" He proceeded to tell me that they'd received my request but that it had been ignored because "all rooms get cleaned the same - we don't do special requests." When I told him I had a medical condition and it might not work for me, he proceeded to be extremely condescending and ridiculed me for having the condition I do. He basically treated me like he thought I was a freak or something. The conversation devolved into his asking me where he could find unscented deodorant. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I then asked to see the room before giving him my credit card. He said, "Well, you can see the room all you want, but we're still charging you no matter what." So, even if I had a medical condition and they'd completely blown off my advance request to accommodate it, I was gonna get charged almost 80 bucks. This man was off the charts nasty, condescending, and surly. He certainly does not belong in any customer service position.

When initially booking the room, I'd spoken to his (poor unfortunate) wife, who had assured me that the room would be both quiet and dark because it was away from the main street. It turned out to be directly on the main street, 1/2 block away from blaring outside music and the many lights along the strip. The main window had no way to block the light other than a sheer curtain. At 10 pm, the room was so light it looked like high noon. And the music continued till late.

In this case, I called ahead and made that request into their answering machine (they only answer the phone and staff their front desk for limited hours each day). When I walked through the door, the male owner of the place greeted me with a scowl and said, "And who might you be?" He proceeded to tell me that they'd received my request but that it had been ignored because "all rooms get cleaned the same - we don't do special requests." When I told him I had a medical condition and it might not work for me, he proceeded to be extremely condescending and ridiculed me for having the condition I do. He basically treated me like he thought I was a freak or something, and asked me how I could live in the world. The conversation devolved into his asking me where he could find unscented deodorant. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I then asked to see the room before giving him my credit card. He said, "Well, you can see the room all you want, but we're still charging you no matter what." So, even if I had a medical condition and they'd completely blown off my advance request to accommodate it, I was gonna get charged almost 80 bucks. This man was off the charts nasty, condescending, and surly. He certainly does not belong in any customer service position.

When initially booking the room, I'd spoken to his (poor, unfortunate) wife, who had assured me that the room would be both quiet and dark because it was away from the main street. It turned out to be directly on the main street, 1/2 block away from blaring outside music and the many lights along the Route 66 strip. The main window had no way to block the light other than a sheer curtain. At 10 pm, the room was so light it looked like high noon. And the music continued till late.

The room itself was trying to be charming, I guess...but was so ill-suited to human occupation that it had no practical value. It was so small that you could barely walk around the bed. A large opened steamer trunk sat taking up the space that could have been used for a table (there was literally nowhere to set anything on). There was no a/c--and I can only imagine how challenging that would be during the summer. The tiny bathroom reeked of Pine-Sol, as did the rest of the place, to the point where my eyes were burning. Even the toilet paper holder was put on backwards, so that every time you used it, the roll came flying off at you. And while they were “thoughtful” enough to provide a couple bottles of crap wine you could use and be charged for, where were the basics, like a box of tissues? If you're going to Pine-Sol the hell out of your hotel, you can at least provide a simple box of tissues, no?

Overall, this seems like a vanity project of an owner who wants to think he's cool for owning an old hotel but isn't committed to spending the resources to ensure his guests' comfort--which is quite actually what the hospitality industry is all about. But even if you can't seem to grasp what might make others comfortable, you can at least be polite when someone has a medical condition and not put them down for it. That's something most of us learned in kindergarten.

I will certainly never stay here again and I would suggest that you try the many other options available in this area.

Overall, this seems like a vanity project of a self-absorbed owner who wants to think he's cool for owning an old hotel but isn't committed to spending the resources to ensure his guests' comfort--which is really what the hospitality industry is all about. Even if you can't seem to grasp what elements comprise a decent experience in staying somewhere, you can at least be polite when someone has a medical condition and not put them down for it. That's something most of us learned in kindergarten.

Room Tip: Try the place down the street
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank traveler123460826
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Wenn you are looking for a different hotel then you used 2?
Go to the Grand Canyon Hotel in Williams. It started in 1891 until now.
OK, the rooms are small but we liked it. We stayed in the Romantic Room.

This is stepping back in time with very friendly people.
And of course you are on the old route 66.
We recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Try the Romantic room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Very friendly place. Free internet was very handy and rooms were full of charm. Was a shame to only stay 1 night!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Fairly small rooms and a little rickety, but it's got great character, we stayed in the 'Asian' room which was nicely furnished/decorated! It is perfectly adequate for a night or two, right on the Historic Route 66 and only an hour away from Grand Canyon. It's more of a hostel than a hotel though. The staff are very friendly, it's got free WiFi in the rooms and a little communal fridge/microwave/TV/computer area which is good.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Had a nights stay in the hotel. The room had peep holes into the bathroom. Kind of creepy. I had a restless night and leg cramps screaming out in pain. Couldn't have had anything to do with the motorcycle ride from Az to Colorado... Anyhow saw something strange on one of the pics I took of the room. My partner was asleep in the bed and the small bedside table was lit beside him. I snapped a shot and here is the picture that developed. We had a great stay although someone kept banging on the door and there was an extra 100 dollar charge on the bill. The ghost must have been smoking.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family