“Great pies”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Nice family dinning. Pies are wonderful.
Chicken BBQ was great.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,424)

Reviewed April 9, 2009

This was one of the least-questionable places to dine in tiny Williams, Arizona. (The town is dotted with sketchy little dive restaurants that seem to have no rhyme or reason.) Pine Country is bright and clean (though the decor -- classic country on the top half of the walls, Italian-esque Travertine tile on the bottom half -- is kind of weird). The staff, for the most part, was pleasant though not always attentive during service. We were left sitting needing drink refills and such during both of the breakfast and dinner meals that we had there.

Don't assume from the looks of the place, however, that the food here is "down-home cooking." Almost everything we were served was clearly pre-packaged food that had only been heated.

My husband had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner that he said tasted just like Spaghetti-o's from a can. It came with a salad, the raspberry vinaigrette dressing for which was delivered in a plastic, tear-open-type packet (like ketchup) by Kraft. I had a grilled cheese sandwich that was greasy but otherwise OK, but the fries that came with it were clearly the frozen type available at the supermarket. One of my children ordered the pepperoni pizza off of the children's menu: From the looks and taste of it, It was almost certainly a Red Baron brand frozen pizza from the grocery store. My other child had Macaroni and Cheese -- clearly the neon-orange "Easy Mac" variety by Kraft.

So disappointed were we with the quality of the meal, we didn't even bother to stick around for a piece of one of the place's "famous" pies.

The same went for breakfast the next morning: The kids had the "Jungle Animal" pancakes. Commercially stamped on both sides with animal faces, they had obviously been tossed in the microwave to "toast" but arrived at the table terribly dry and practically ice-cold. My husband's country breakfast was lackluster. The oatmeal I had was OK (how badly can you screw that up, really?), but at almost $5 a bowl was way overpriced.

One positive: I accidentally left my child's diaper bag under our table after finishing dinner. Once I realized it, about 40 minutes later, I rushed back to the restaurant to find the staff had picked it up and was holding it behind the cash register for me -- everything was still in it!

The dining options in Williams are EXTREMELY limited. Because of that, Pine Country is beating off the crowds with a stick most mornings and evenings. So they probably don't much care that their food is mediocre at best. But I can only wonder how much better the dining experience -- and the place's business -- would be if the menu offerings and food quality were better.

Eat here only because you must eat something. But keep your expectations low.

Reviewed March 20, 2009

Adequate food but lacked home made quality and flavor that I would have expected.

Reviewed February 17, 2009

First let me say I am a pastry chef so I may be overly critical of pastry.
That being said I had apple pie ala mode how can you get that wrong, right?
The crust was very thick the apples were the canned variety in the goopy glace it
was sad. The ice cream was good and the server was nice and prompt. The decor was
fun and homey.

Reviewed January 10, 2009

If you are lucky enough to stop at the Pine Country Restaurant on a day when the soup of the day is their "Split Pea". It is the bext split pea soup I have ever had, and I am tough on soup.

I asked for their recipe and they declined (I don't blame them). There is a tiny hint of zip, which I think is jalpeno, but it is so slight, I'm not sure.

Enjoy

Been to Pine Country Restaurant? Share your experiences!