“winchester”
Review of Winchester Steak House - CLOSED

Winchester Steak House
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed September 25, 2012

a bit disappointed. the place is not on the main street .took a bit of finding this place. medoicre food and not very good service. had to ask for water twice before it was served. as a regular visitor to williams this place was the only let down. will not go back.

There are newer reviews for Winchester Steak House

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel gave us a coupon for this place that is off the main drag. We loved the craftsmanship in the woodwork that has turned this old dairy barn into a work of art. Two of us shared the 12oz Steak dinner ($30) and barely saved enough room for their wonderful strudel. There was a musician on a Tuesday night that provided a wonderful country atmosphere. I would recommend this place to friends and strangers.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We visited there while on vacation and it looked like a good steakhouse. The atmosphere is great and the entertainment was awesome. The dinner salads were ample and fresh. My only complaint was that I ordered a New York Strip steak, rare. When delivered it was just shy of well done and less than an inch thick. The only reason I didn't send it back was the awesome flavor, that's what it's really all about anyway.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were in Williams with another couple for the weekend and decided that on Saturday evening we would go for a nice meal.
Winchester Steakhouse was suggested and we decided to check it out. As it was nearby where we were shopping, we stopped by midday to look at a menu and ascertain whether we needed to make reservations. 3 of us were wandering about inside the open building/restaurant for 23 minutes and at no point in time did we see anybody who could answer our questions. However, we loved the building and the ambience and decided that is where we would eat that evening.
Upon arrival that evening, there were only 2 other tables filled. We opted to sit upstairs for a couple of reasons, first and foremost because it gave us the best view of the entire building and secondary, because one of the tables downstairs had a small child, perhaps 3 or 4 years old, who was playing on the stairs and running around. We hoped that by being at the top of the stairs we would not be disturbed by her.
It took a while for us to be greeted by the waitress and during her first visit to our table, she found it necessary to mention that she had been out till 1:00 the night before.....???
We placed our meal order at the same time we ordered drinks, as we feared service may be a tad slow.
The meals ordered by our group were varied: One had Filet Mignon, one had Top Sirloin, one had Rib Eye, and I had Salmon. 2 of us had salad and 2 had the chicken noodle soup. The soup was so watery that more than half of the spoonsful were only broth, and they were not provided with soup spoons. We requested our dinner rolls to be served with the soup and salad rather than with the meal. We had to request real butter. We were never given bread plates, nor bread knives, or salad forks. It is very disconcerting to have to place your dinner roll on the table or your napkin. The salads were fine, nice and crispy lettuce, cucumbers and nice plump cherry tomatoes, with a more than decent blue cheese dressing.
We were all quite disappointed to be served our entree before any of us was more than half finished with our salad or soup. We were left with the choice of not finishing our starter, or letting our entree get cold. Which was actually a moot point as all of our meals were lukewarm at best.
Each of the steaks were indistinguishable from the other, and all grilled to the same doneness. Again, dismaying, as 2 were ordered very rare and one medium rare. They were all closer to medium to medium well. Little to no pink at all.
The others chose baked potatoes with their meals and again, had to request more butter. The sour cream was brought as small plastic tubs tossed in to a larger bowl. There were no chives, cheese, or bacon bits. We all chose the mixed vegetables, which consisted of roasted cauliflower and broccoli, with no flavoring, butter or moisture.
My salmon was nearly unpalatable; which is saying something, as I LOVE salmon and will eat very nearly anything salmon. The fish was so dry I could barely swallow it, it did not flake, and had a peculiar flavor that completely masked the flavor of the salmon. I ended up leaving more than half of what was a very small piece of salmon to begin with. I would have preferred rice , however, that was not an option, so I went with the mashed potatoes, which I was assured by the server were, "fabulous, with cheese and all yummy". What I was served was a large mound of dehydrated potatoes, very dry and if there was cheese or anything else "all yummy" in them, I could not find it.
All of the meals also came with a small bowl of "cowboy beans". they looked and tasted like any brand of beans off the shelf, and were very watery. However, none of us was provided with a spoon with which to partake of the beans.
We were not offered dessert, an after dinner drink, nor coffee.
After paying our bill and upon departing the restaurant, we came across the manager. A very young man in jeans and a cowboy hat. We asked for a minute of his time and expressed our concerns. He offered his apologies, and nothing else; although he did shed light on the "peculiar flavor" of my salmon. They coat the salmon in italian dressing!!!!
The ambience of this building is that of an old western town. Very rustic and charming, with heavy wood furniture, a waterfall, a small stream and a one man entertainment.
Had these been $8-$12 meals, perhaps the shortcomings could have been tolerated, however, they are commanding "big city" prices for sub-standard fare and service. The manager told us that they are "trying to keep it a more casual restaurant". Hence, the sour cream in little packets, paper napkins and complete disregard for the proper way of serving.
We will not be trying the Winchester on any future visits to Williams.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We went here on a recommendation of the manager of the RV park I was staying at in Williams, Az.
They have been open under new management since March 2012 and appear to be doing a pretty good job.
We were a bit surprised when we sat down and received an abbreviated menu, which wasn't very well explained until we asked.
The way this works is you pay $44 for the meal and a dinner show. We weren't aware of the dinner show first and were a little shocked at the price. Once this was explained it seemed reasonable.
The meals are simple (sirloin steak, chicken, or salmon cooked on a mesquite grill) with a variety of sides and a salad. The meal also comes with one glass of beer or wine.
The show was a trick roper and marksman, sort of a "one man show", which was very entertaining and well done.
It would be nice if they had just a dinner menu so if you weren't interested in the show you wouldn't feel like you were getting a bit railroaded at the price.
Worth going again, now that I know what I'm getting.