“Not Worth The Price”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We are here while staying at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. We had tickets for the Polar Express train and thought since we were in our PJ's we would eat at the buffet and watch the 1st train leave. We saw no prices posted for the buffet and were shocked when we were given our total. The staff sat us no where near the windows even though the window area was almost empty. They did happily agree to move us to the windows when we asked. There were very few choices for children and the ones they had (pizza and chicken nuggets) were not very good. My 8 and 5 year old boys wouldn't eat much of it. The prime rib was not very good either. The salad bar was pathetic. In short, I would never eat here again.

Xanterra, Public Relations Manager at Grand Depot Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, as customer feedback is how we gauge our performance in all aspects of our operations. At Grand Canyon Railway, our mission is to exceed our guests' expectations in the quality of our food and the quality of our service. In terms of Grand Depot Café, our Food & Beverage department is frequently creating new recipes and training their staff to provide a positive experience for everyone. As with any business, there are unfortunate times when we are not at our best and we do sincerely apologize that you found us below your standards during your visit. We invite you come back in the future, especially because Grand Depot Café is currently undergoing a complete renovation and will reopen in March 2013.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

After our trip to the Grand Canyon, we dined here. Their dinner was well prepared and the butternut squash soup was to die for! We enjoyed very much ... I didn't give it an excellent because is was a buffet and I guess I'm spoiled, I like my food delivered to me!

1  Thank ladykat000
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We got free buffet style meals included breakfast, lunch and dinner. I didn't expect 5 star food, but even for buffet food, there was always a decent selection and even as a finicky eater, I was able to find a few things each meal I enjoyed. This is not really a light/healthy buffet, but how many are? You are on vacation, right? Also the service each night for drinks was good, never had an empty glass and were always personable. We enjoyed our stay for 2 days at the hotel and eating here.

1  Thank Erik4Travel
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The food is plentiful and good, especially for a buffet. My biggest complaint was watching servers clean the tables by sweeping things off the table onto the floor. The floor under my table had a piece of shrimp one night. Very family friendly.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

nice restaurant atmosphere but the dinner needs variety expecially for kids. Too expensive for the kids just eatting a pizza stick and a mini hot dog. Breakfast was good, though. Everything you want to eat.

Been to Grand Depot Cafe? Share your experiences!