“Ordinary and overpriced”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Sydney, Australia
“Ordinary and overpriced”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The dinner on our second night was ordinary. The buffet was operating at half capacity due to the number of diners, which was not a problem as we observed the previous night that one side is a duplicate of the other. However, as the dishes ran out they were not replaced and the food on offer was drying out, not covered or stirred, etc. I am glad I like salad. The made-to-order pasta was very good and a lifesaver as I would have otherwise gone hungry. The carvery had one piece of meat on display that was the size of a business card - still over an hour before closing. About 45 mins before closing, we witnessed the scrubbing of floors within the public view! The staff obviously wanted to close up and weren't interested in delivering the service or food that had been paid for.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank sydmoke
Xanterra, Manager at Grand Depot Cafe, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your dining experience at the Grand Depot Cafe. Your feedback is taken very seriously as we look for ways to continue improving this important part of the Grand Canyon Railway.

Your review of the Grand Depot Cafe was very informative. I was disappointed to read that my staff failed to be mindful of guests still in the restaurant before cleaning the floors and doing other closing duties. Clearly, our closing procedures will need to be re-reviewed to ensure that they are always being followed. Please rest assured that I will address this during our upcoming team meeting.

I hope this experience does not prevent you from visiting us in the future. Should you return, please ask for me so I can personally ensure your complete and total satisfaction.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Great breakfast buffet, skip the lunch & dinner”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Eat here for breakfast. The buffet has everything you could ever want including chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy. Price was also very reasonable for such a large buffet. Lunch and dinner - so/so.

Visited May 2012
California
“They put no effort feeding a captive audience.”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I'm so glad we didn't buy the meal plan others around us had. The one thing this cafe does well is get people in and out quickly. Which is important if you're trying to make a train. But the food is awful. I love a good buffet - but this one is not good in any sense of the word. The options are not plentiful. The night we were there the salad bar was in complete disarray. The healthy options are non existent. The meat quality was a bit suspect. I waited in a long line for the pasta bar - just to have the noodles overcooked. There were not adequate options for young children. The desserts were inedible. I hate to be harsh - but the price tag is way too high for this low level of food. Skip it and go into town - we had an excellent meal there.

• Visited April 2012
Xanterra, Manager at Grand Depot Cafe, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback on your experience at the Grand Depot Cafe.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the quality of the food and service you received during your visit. We try to remain diligent with cleanliness and food preparation, but sometimes fail to beat expectations. Our buffet is under constant review and is often changing as we look for a good combination of food products at a fair cost. Please know that we are working 'round-the-clock to deliver a superior experience. I am confident that if you return in the near future you'll be pleasantly surprised by our improvements.

Again, please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations. We hope this experience does not prevent you from visiting us in the future. Should you return, please ask for me so I can personally ensure you are satisfied.

scotland
“good breakfast”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

good value for money and lovely food. revcommend it for breakfast which was the only meal that I had there

Visited April 2012
Wilder, Tennessee, United States
“Worst experience of my whole package!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts with our package, which we paid a great deal for. The food was not good, barbqued chicken sauce was too hot to eat, rest of food was dry and bland, no flavor, overcooked from sitting in steam stations. Rolls hard as rocks and unedible. Even the deserts were hard and bland. Only thing we ate that was good was the ice cream, guess they couldn't mess that up much. No comment cards in restaurant. Very sorry we wasted our money on this part of the trip. would have done better going off site to eat. The staff were also very slow to serve drinks or even to greet tables, for being a buffet as stated below they should be on top of it. Could not even get drink refills by that time we were done, beings there was no edible food. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS CAFE!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited April 2012
Xanterra, Manager at Grand Depot Cafe, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Grand Depot Cafe. Feedback left on TripAdvisor is personally reviewed by Grand Canyon Railway management as we look for ways to improve our products and services. Your comments help with our efforts.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies that we failed to meet basic dining expectations during your recent trip to the Railway. My staff works diligently to provide superior-quality food and service to every guest. I am disappointed to read that this wasn't the case with your visit. Dry, bland, flavorless and overcooked food is unacceptable. Additionally, slow and inefficient service is equally unacceptable. We aim to provide a better experience than this.

We encourage guests to be vocal about their satisfaction levels during their visit so we have the immediate opportunity to correct problems and have our guests leave us completely satisfied. Rest assured that I will forward your comments to the appropriate Railway team members for review and resolution. The situation you described must never happen again.

Again, please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations. We hope this experience does not prevent you from visiting us in the future. Should you return to the Grand Canyon Railway and dine at the Grand Depot Cafe, please ask for me so I can personally ensure your complete and total satisfaction.