“Best Way to View the Canyon”

Grand Canyon Railway
Book In Advance
More Info
$139.99*
and up
Grand Canyon Railway Adventure Package
Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Williams
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic train that takes a 65-mile trip from Williams to the Grand Canyon and offers great views of the Arizona high country.
Durham, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best Way to View the Canyon”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great experience. Definitely the best way to visit the Grand Canyon. Will recommend to everyone. Especially good for kids. Our package included 1 night in Williams (great hotel, new rooms), buffet dinner in Williams (great selection), buffet breakfast in Williams (again, good selection), 2 1/4 hour ride to the rim, 1 1/2 bus tour, hotel at Maswik Lodge, then train ride back to Williams. We upgraded our train to one of the luxury cars... totally worth it. We didn't get the one with the open glass top- thank goodness- it looked a bit cramped and hot. The car we were in was very comfortable- large seats- and plenty of space for the kids to move around. Clean. Good bathrooms and good snacks and drinks on the way to and from the canyon. Everyone was very nice. Once you are at the canyon it is so easy to get around. Took the free shuttle bus several times. If you are up for a 3 mile easy walk, take the (blue line) bus to the large Visitors Center. Start at Mathers Point (im my opinion, the best canyon viewing point at the South Rim), and walk back towards El Tovar hotel. This walk was my very favorite part of the trip.

2 Thank Ssydney
Xanterra, Public Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon!

San Diego, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun and Relaxing”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

If you have the time, take the 2 hour train ride from Williams to the Grand Canyon and spend the night. Our first class seat included beverages and snacks. Train personnel kept us entertained going up and back. Your luggage is taken directly to your room and returned to the train the next day. Package also includes a bus tour of the Grand Canyon. Well worth the price and time.

1 Thank traceyb161
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us, and thank you for traveling as a part of our Canyon Discovery Plus package. It really takes the hassle out of planning your family's vacation doesn't it? Take care, we hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon!
Easley, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The best way to see the Grand Canyon”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The experience is fun for children and adults. The onboard Sheriff is a nut. The train robbers are goofy. So much fun

Visited February 2014
2 Thank TinaRongione
California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was extremely impressed with the Grand Canyon Railway. I have travelled to many countries and am often wary of "tourist traps", and having grown up in Arizona but knowing nothing about the railway, I checked out Trip Advisor first. Boy am I glad I did! We loved our experience and will return again!

This was the first time for my two boys (6 and 4) and our 18yr old foreign exchange student to be visiting the Grand Canyon. There weren't rooms at the Railway's hotel on the night we needed, so we only booked the train tickets. I'd highly recommend staying the night in Williams as it was a very early morning driving up from Phoenix to catch the train.

We took the Pullman car going up to the Canyon and First Class coming back. Best decision ever! The Pullman was very nice, I loved the authentic feel of it. It is cheaper than Coach yet when I walked through the Coach cars I was surprised that the Pullman is nicer (albeit no A/C). I think had we booked a seat in Coach I would have been disappointed... it reminded me of a generic metro car. Being that it was morning (and early April), we didn't need the A/C (and the windows do open). First Class was also great... plenty of room, a little pull-out ledge to put food and drinks on, and free food (cheese, crackers, hummus, veggies & dip, great lemonade, coffee)! Coming back at dinner time made this a really smart choice, the kids were able to snack the whole way back. I loved how the guide in our car kept reminding us that we were on vacation and to enjoy being relaxed, especially when I would worry about getting my son to take his feet off the nice seats.

Everyone who worked on the train was superb. I am a very picky person and I can't fault a single employee... they all had really great customer service skills and seemed to love their job. The train robbery was fun and the various musicians were great as well.

It was an added perk not having to worry about parking at the Canyon, and since I was the only driver on this trip I enjoyed getting to take a break from a longer car ride and help my boys spot elk. The kids all had a great time, you can walk to the snack car and every (very clean) passanger car has a bathroom... way better than being stuck on a highway :) They also had places to store luggage and bags, which you could keep on the train during your visit to the Canyon (one smart couple I saw brought a cooler with them containin their lunch so that they didn't waste time eating at one of the restaurants at the Canyon)

If you're trying to decide if you should take the train... take the train!

3 Thank OkiFamily
Rawlins, Wyoming
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“FUN TRIP”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This train trip was fun and a great way to get to the Grand Canyon. Amber Rose was our train guide and was informative and entertaining. The gunfighters and train robbers were fun and reminded me of the "Old days" at Knott's Berry Farm. Worth the trip!

3 Thank Carolyn O
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us, it is a great honor to be compared to a world class attraction like Knott's Berry Farm. We hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon!