“Loved the Red Garter”

Red Garter Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Williams B&B and Inns
“Loved the Red Garter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2005

I arrived a wee bit early to check in so had a super time at the museum close by and walked a bit of Route 66. The Red Garter is a delight and has been beautifuuly restored. You feel yuo have stepped back in time. A supply of books and magazines are available to read and learn about the area and Arizona. I was in the parlour room 4 and loved the thick pink towels and the warm cosy heat. The morning breakfast was super and got me started for my day trip to the Grand Canyon. I will certainly stay again and cherish my red garter. Cheers Isobel Canada

Stayed November 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2005

I am from Arizona but had not lived there for some time. I took my wife who had never been west of the mississippi there on vacation. We stayed at 3 differant B&Bs on the Trip. One in Tuscon, one in Cave Creek, and this one in Williams.

The Good-Very neat place with cool history and charm. The room was large and the bed was comfortable.

The Bad-We stayed in the the "Best Gal's room" and it is located on the second floor in the front. If you look at the picture it is where the 2 windows over look the street on the second floor. The problem is trains run on those tracks all night long. (they are not just for the Grand Canyon Railroad) and when they go by it is like they are in the room with you. Needless to say we hardly got any sleep that first night.

The UGLY-I spoke with what i assume to be the owner the next morning. I explained our dissapointment and we were feeling so bad we didnt even eat breakfast. We had booked the room for 2 nights but after the previous night I requested a refund for the second night as we would rather find a room elswhere so we could get some rest. We were told that he could not do that but if he was able to book the room he would refund the money. We told him to go ahead and try because no matter what we would find another place even if it means we wasted the $140.00. So we left and spent the day at the canyon. I stopped by about 9pm upon our return to see if the room was booked and there was a couple unloading their car as we arrived. The lights in the room were on and we could see a female in the room as a gentlemen was unloading the car. I was pleased to see this and the next morning called to make sure the refund went thru as discussed. The Manager at that point denied booking the room?!?!?!? He also refused to refund any of the $140.00

It has been more than 6 years and I am still dissapointed with the experience :(

• Stayed May 1999
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2005

We stayed at Red Garter in September 2005 and enjoyed two of their rooms. Best Gals room and Madams. If you can get Best Gals room it's perfect, you get a bedroom and shower room and also a lovely parlour to sit in, it stretches across the front of the house and is full of charactor, you can just imagine the things that used to happen in this historic B&B.

The hosts John and Suzie were welcoming and John tells an excellent tale of past histories including incidences of the ghost.

Breakfast is lovely and more than enough, it's great to sit round with others and listen to their tales/plans.

If you're visiting the Grand Canyon I would definitely recommend staying here, it's about an hours drive away but it's a much nicer play to stay that in Grand Canyon village where you're a bit captive with regard eating and entertainment.

The only slight problem with Red Garter (and it's not one that can be solved) is the freight trains over the way, they do like to have a blast on their horns in the night. We were so tired though it hardly effected us. I would definitely recommend a couple of nights stay at Red Garter.

Thanks John and Suzie!

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank Jo6284
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2005

We were in the "Best Gal's" room which is the large room at the front with a parlour and a huge bed. The whole place is full of character and we got a tour of the place by Susie when we arrived. The owner, John, was also very friendly and a great help with our tour of the South West.
The building next door had a huge fire in June this year and the Red Garter was smoke damaged so consequently everything has been fully redecorated and refurbished.
Our room looked over the road to the Grand Canyon Railway which was marvellous (even though we were woken a few times through the night by freight trains blowing their horns) and Pancho McGillicuddys Mexican Restaurant next door serves excellent food with a good atmosphere and live music.
The place is reputedly haunted so have a read of the guest book at the top of the stairs to see some of the guests stories. We had a slight unexplained incident but there's nothing scary.
The only regret is that we only stayed one night as we were travelling through the area and we would love to be back to stay a few nights, travel on the Railway and explore the Williams area more fully.
Just go there!

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank The Fat Punter
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

We loved staying in Madams Room at this terrific B&B and bakery! We found out that there had been a fire in the adjacent building just this summer, so they refurbished the rooms because of smoke damage. So the rooms are newly redecorated and very charming. Even the beds are new - and very very comfortable. The owner, John, and all the staff are great hosts. Upon arrival, we got a historic tour of this former bordello. You will feel right at home here. Had the best pastry of my life for breakfast - don't miss the fruit/cream/streudel. It's light as a feather and a bit of heaven.

I was sorry we were staying only one night, it was such a treat.

3 Thank Gailm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2005

I stayed at the Red Garter with My wife and 14 year old daughter. We stayed in Big Bertha's room which was excellent especially the old bath tub. As soon as you enter the building you step back in time with the decor and surroundings, John is a great host and tells the story of the building well. Breakfast was a good starter meeting the other guests and having freshly baked cakes . The Red Garter is situated ideally for exploring Williams and boarding the Grand Canyon Railway just across the road. We all loved the place and will return. My only regret is not been able to stay in the room at the front of the building. (only one double bed) I would reccomend the Red Garter to anyone. Thanks John for a great stay.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2005

The B&B itself was nice and we would have had a lovely time staying there, however, the staff were not very helpful or friendly. They made no attempt to help us up the very steep stairs with our luggage. The gas fireplace in our room didn't work. Our ceiling leaked all night and we weren't offered any kind of compensation. And to top it all, they wouldn't even extend us the courtesy of storing our luggage while we went to the Grand Canyon on the Grand Canyon Railway. We had to leave all our belongings in the car. I think we should have stayed at the newer hotel near the railway, but this one had looked like a fun place with charater. What a disappointment it was, it really spoiled our trip.

• Stayed April 2005