2,546 results
All reviewspackage dealmaswik lodgetrain tripdinner buffetnight packagedome carpasta bargrand canyon railwaypasta stationdepot cafetrain robberyincluded mealsdeluxe roomtaking the trainbuffet stylewild west showsouth rim
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Stayed several nights at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel (took train to Grand Canyon). It was a great place to just relax and read a book in front of the huge fireplace. The pool and especially the hot tub was nice after a long day of hiking in the area. The beds were comfortable and the room was spacious.

4  Thank Tucson_AZAdventurer
Reviewed October 9, 2008

This is a good quality hotel/motel sitting right next to the railway station for the Grand Canyon Railway, owned by the same owners. Comfortable beds & chairs and a good hot shower.
The only downside to this place is the attached restaurant, it was awful. It serves expensive buffet style food that you would'nt get at a motorway service area in U.K.
We walked across the railway tracks into town (200yds) to a proper restaurant called Pine Country Restaurant which served all day meals at a cheaper price than the hotel, and the quality was far better. Beware the desserts though, they are HUGE.

5  Thank harburybill
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We just got back from a really enjoyable experience. We purchased a train-hotel package back in February for the adults-only Sunset excursion and went on Saturday, 27 September. (We found out the package has been discontinued and ours was the last train.)

The week before our trip, we read the reviews on TripAdvisor and were apprehensive that our experience would be awful. However, we were very surprised that our train and hotel were nothing like the negative reviews we read.

The food on the train was fine (especially the dinner on the way back with satay chicken, shrimp wrapped in bacon and beef kabobs). Service was very good, and no one grovelled for tips (as some reviews hinted). Plenty of tips were handed out, the experience was so good.

We had plenty of time at the canyon, and the package included a bus tour. Our driver was funny and well-informed.

The food at the hotel restaurant buffet (part of the package) was typical cafeteria quality, but that is not a criticism. It is not four-star dining, but the breakfast was good hot food, and plenty of choices. For dinner they had blackened mahi (which was excellent), vegetarian pasta, chicken, meatloaf, ham and roast beef. There were many dessert choices, but we had the homemade cobbler which was the best I ever tasted (and I am a cobbler fanatic!).

The hotel room was basic but spacious. Surprisingly, it was also the quietest hotel in which I have ever stayed. I normally have trouble sleeping in hotels because of the noise, but I had two quiet nights with no problems. We were the only ones at the pool and hot tub Sunday afternoon, and the game room was not crowded.

We intentionally book our holidays around either February or October to avoid the crowds of families. Perhaps the people who complained about the number of noisy kids in other reviews of this hotel should also plan accordingly.

Overall, this was one enjoyable holiday.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank cgm95
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I was there as part of an educational program. The hotel looks and feels old, but is actually only 10 years old. That was surprising when they told us. Most of the rooms face inward toward courtyards so there is no air circulation, no view and no reason to open the windows. The rooms feel dark inside. Beds are okay, but the pillows are kind of skimpy. I felt the room was clean and it was large enough for me, but nothing special.

There is no business center so no way to check e-mail, etc. I hear there is an internet cafe in town but it closes early.

On the last day there, the computers deactivated everyone's key cards so we had to stand in a long line to get them reactivated.

The buffet was okay - all our meals were included in the program, but some of our group went into town to eat as they got tired of the same thing every night.

The train was fun but I was so glad not to have to pay what they charge for the tickets. The Canyon was amazing.

I hope I can come back and do this trip again, but would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank krosmon
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Bearing in mind that we had just come from staying at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, there were bound to be some negative comparisons, but I really found none. The room was clean, the beds comfortable, the bathroom spotless (though it could use a paint job - glaring white walls, fixtures not a great design choice). No real drawbacks, except that the young lady at the desk somehow managed to NOT swipe our credit card so we were unable to sign for meals/beverages at Spensers (the bar, which is gorgeous by the way).

When you stay at the Grand Canyon Hotel, you are not at the Ritz, but the sheer convenience of the great stores and restaurants on Williams' Old Route 66 is not to be sneezed at! I would stay here again!

2  Thank MerrieIreland