“So Relaxed and Fun”

Grand Canyon Railway Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Williams
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 4, 2014

LAst week we stayed three nights here and took the Grand Canyon Railway to the park one day. The trian is 2 1/4 hours each way, but very senic and they make it fun. In fact, I would have liked a little quiet contemplation, but there were a lot of interesting facts, live music both ways, and a train robbery on the way home. My kids had a very good time, and did not ask once "Are we there yet." The time in the park was enough for us. The hotel has a warm heated pool and plenty of casual eating spots there and walkign distance. I do not think the buffet was a good deal compared to eating in the Spencer's Bar which had breakfast too and walking into town a few minutes.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Kristen C
Xanterra, Public Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to have you as our guest again sometime soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,214)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I booked the 3 night package that included 2 nights at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. I arrived on Tues. Feb. 11, 2014. I had spent Mon. night at a hotel in Phoenix as my flight had arrived late. My first & third nights were spent at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel & the second night was spent at Maskim Lodge right inside Grand Canyon National Park. With this package, flying by myself from little ole CT, I had 2 delicious buffet dinners & 2 buffet breakfasts. The selection, I felt, was huge. There was plenty of variety & especially if you had special dietary needs, It was great. My room was very big with 2 queen beds & a nice shower & all the rest of the extras, with lots of towels. It was very clean, quiet & comfortable. In the morning of my 2nd day there, Wed. Feb. 12, at 9 am I went outside of the hotel & sat on bleachers to watch a cowboy comedy. It was really funny & kids would love it. I, also, had my picture taken with one of the cowboys & his horse. Then, I took the leisurely, 2 1/2 hr., train ride to the Grand Canyon. There was a train tour guide on each of the rail cars that told us about the area & different sites we'd see. She was both informative & funny. When we got to the Grand Canyon we hopped on a motor coach bus for a 1 1/2 hr. tour of the Grand Canyon. We stopped at 3 beautiful vistas & you could hear everyone's jaws hitting the pavement. You can't put into words the view of the Grand Canyon. But, it is in my memory & I can bring it up whenever I want, along with the 500 pictures I took. After that it was check-in time at the Maswik Lodge, which was nice, with again, 2 queen beds & a definite cowboy, western theme. I remember there was even a cowboy lamp. That evening, at sunset, myself & a whole lot of other visitors took one of the free shuttle buses in the park, to one of the vistas, to see the sunset. It was gorgeous. After the sunset, I ate at the buffet that was at Maswik Lodge. The food inside of the Grand Canyon was not part of my package, so that was on your own. In the morning, I woke up all by myself at 5:30am, got dressed & headed up to one of the free shuttle buses to head for the Canyon sunrise. The sunrise seemed to take forever & it was freezing at that time. But, the colors that dawned over the Canyon were so pretty, It was well worth it. After seeing the sunrise, I was hungry & decided to try breakfast at El Tovar. The restaurant is also a hotel & there was an incredible view of the Canyon in the distance. I had my first Eggs Benedict breakfast & it was delicious. After breakfast, I spent exploring some of the sites in the Canyon park. I especially liked the Blue Angel Lodge. There was a history room in it, with all kinds of info on this wealthy,19-20th century, restaurant, developer named, Fred Harvey. Fred helped turn the Canyon into a big tourist destination.He hired a young, female architect (unheard of in those days) to build 8 of the buildings there in the park. Her name was Mary Jane Coulter. Fred Harvey also offered young women a chance to do something in their life besides stay home, work on their family farm, get married or be a secretary or teacher. He offered them jobs as waitresses (which at the time was the lowliest of jobs for women). They had to be young, single & have at least an 8th grade education. They came in droves to all his different hotels & restaurants along the Santa Fe Railway & they were called, "Harvey Girls". There was a display of one of the earlier uniforms & honestly it looks like one of the first nursing uniforms I have ever seen. I'm a nurse. I picked up a copy of a DVD called "The Harvey Girls" & it had interviews with quite a few of the elderly, "Harvey Girls" There was even a movie made with Judy Garland about the Harvey Girls. It was a musical & quite popular at the time. Finally it was time for me to board the train to head back to the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel for my 3rd & last night. I was exhausted & after eating dinner at the buffet, I crashed. In the morning, Fri. morning, Feb. 14, I had breakfast at the hotel, where the service was so friendly & got ready to leave. My next stop was in Sedona, AZ. But, that is another story & another review.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
10  Thank Judith V

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

It's a bit of a drive from Phoenix - roughly 3.5-4 hours. We broke our travel up by stopping at Montezuma Castle. Williams is a sleepy little western town that caters to tourists. The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel was lovely.

The exterior as you drive in resembles a low flat roofed box, but once inside the recent renovations make up for the simple structure. We stayed in a suite plus a guest room-we're a family of 4 (2A and two 10 year olds) traveling with my aunt. Rooms are decorated very nicely-upscale modern and cowboy/train motif-sounds weird but really nice!

Beds were very comfortable (have sleep number bed at home) with higher thread count sheets, and alternative down comforters and 4 pillows to each queen bed.

There was a microwave, counter height refrigerator and sink with Kuerig coffee maker.

Bathroom was spacious with granite countertops and nice touch-extra sink and mirror outside of full bath so one person could brush teeth, shave or dry hair while someone else uses bathroom.

Pool and hot tub beautiful.

Food at cafe was ok. It was cold our first dinner, got there at 6:10pm. Only pork tenderloin at carving station-we don't eat pork. Chef Daniel found out about our food restrictions (gluten-free, dairy-free and no pork) came table-side and suggested items we could try. He prepared a lovely beef tenderloin just for us-tender and flavorful-great meal. Also tried the pasta station with gluten free pasta-wonderful!

The front desk staff were not as welcoming and professional - that was a disappointment after traveling so long, however all the other staff we interacted with made us feel like VIPs.

Train ride was certainly the high light of our AZ trip. Were in observation dome car-would do it all over again! What a gem of an adventure!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank MowerFamily

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Booked a two night package here including the train to the Grand Canyon, overall a great experience. Room was a good size, quiet and comfortable. Free WiFi throughout. Breakfast and dinner in the resort buffet restaurant was included. The food was fine...pasta bar and omelet station are very good, and the roast beef was excellent and the service was good, the food was different both nights. Train ride was excellent, I highly recommend this experience as a way to see the Grand Canyon. Notable employees Patty Oneill, Kaleb and Dani.

POOL IS OPEN AND NICE

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AEboylston

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Liked this hotel, cute little town within walking distance to restaurants and shoppes. Would be nice to have bigger bed than a queen size, but other than that, no complaints. Would recommend for anyone taking the Grand Canyon Railroad trip.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank MissKitty0309

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We find that since we cater to so many families, rooms with 2 queen beds are in high demand. Since we are remodeling several rooms this year and next, we will look into adding some king bed options.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I took our family to the Grand Canyon and booked a room at the Grand Canyon railroad hotel with the train ride. The hotel was nice and it had a hometown feeling . The train ride was awesome. The food is not the best , it compares to the less quality food you'll find at a home town buffet . The price is not worth the quality of the food. You can get a better buffet in Las Vegas for the same price .

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank John S
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed in Jan. 2014. Nice hotel also did the overnight train ride into the park. Would be a good
place to stay and explore the area. Clean rooms friendly staff. Left an item behind and had it
returned to us, much appreciated. Would certainly recommend the stay and ride package to
anyone looking for an easy paced sightseeing excursion into the Grand Canyon park.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple