“Nice stop over stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
illinois
“Nice stop over stay”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a package trip with stays at the hotel before and after the train ride to the south rim of the canyon. The room was nice the front desk folks were very helpful and it was just a nice walk to the restaurant and train depot when it was time to go. The Hotel was clean and the parking was easy. If you're thinking of a package tour this is a good way to go.

Room Tip: IF you have some trouble walking, ask for a room closer to the lobby. The hallways are long but tha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We purchased the Grand Canyon Limited Tour Package, in which we took the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon, and stayed here for a night. Our package included dinner the night we arrived and breakfast the morning we were leaving. We stopped along Route 66, which is just on the other side of the railroad tracks, before checking in to the hotel. The check in staff was very friendly and helpful. Check in was a breeze and we were in our rooms in about 15 minutes. The rooms were pretty nice and clean. Unfortunately no mini fridge, I think you had to pay extra to get a room with a fridge. There was a pool and hot tub, though because of Spring Break, it was packed with families and little kids so we opted to stay away from there. There was also a exercise room and it even had free weights which I was surprised to see. There are plenty of other options for places to eat along Route 66 which was just a block away but since we had already paid for the food, we just ate at the buffet over next to the train station, a short 100 yard walk if that. The dinner options weren't too bad, nothing too special though. The breakfast was a little better and had more options but then again, I guess there is really only so many options for breakfast. Either way not bad. The staff at the buffet were all very nice, friendly and helpful. Unless you are there to take the train in to the Grand Canyon, there really isn't much else to do in Williams. All in all, a good experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chucky1382
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel in July 2009. It was a pretty small hotel with about 3-4 storeys (sorry, don't really remember), but it was very roomy and great!

Rooms: We had a room with two queen beds, which was great, but we had a view of the parking lot. The rooms were pretty standard, with great beds and a nice bathroom.

Pool: The Indoor Pool was a good size and not too big, and was very crowded at night time. The water was not all that clean, but we were okay with it. The Jacuzzi was a great temperature, and we loved it.

Food: The Buffet here was located behind the hotel, and was great. Their salads were out of this world, and there was something new to eat everyday! Mostly, it had American food, but it was awesome

Location: The hotel is located right in the heart of downtown Williams, AZ. You can literally walk out of the rear side of the hotel and go through the little town with little, cool antique shops and more!

Train to the Grand Canyon: We sat coach on the train to the Grand Canyon, from the hotel. It was great with entertainers on the bus singing, and the infamous bandits that come and "hijack" your train. They were very comical and funny, so you will have a good time. As for the ride I forgot how long it is but I will say around 45 Minutes to 2 Hours. I apologize as I do not remember. There were snacks on the train and a bar that was pretty crouded with a line of people trying to get drinks. Also, the ride was not that fast and it was pretty bumpy while standing up though, so be careful!

The Grand Canyon: As for the Grand Canyon, it's an amazing and beautiful sight to see. Just make sure to have your kids safe, because there are protected places with railings to look over the canyon (but they're not fully enclosed railings), and there are many unprotected parts with dangerous edges. Keep your kids close, and do not
let them alone near the edges of the canyon both the protected and unprotected parts.

*I stayed here in July 2009 with a family of four. Do not fully trust every detail I have included in this review as I stayed here almost 4 years ago, and some amenities and things may have changed at this hotel. For more information that may be more trustable and applicable, read recent reviews of this hotel. I apologize if I included something about this hotel that has changed within the years, and that I had no knowledge of. Thank You.*

Overall: The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel was a great place to stay, with great food, and some entertainment! There were gun and cowboy shows right by the hotel or on the property. It was a theater type outdoor seating area with shows. The pool and jacuzzi were great, and it was just an unbelieveable place to stay. Have a great vacation!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Ryan E
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay if you are going to do the Grand Canyon railway tour. We were literally a driveway away from the depot for the train. We have a child with special needs we needed a microwave. All of the suites have microwaves. Of course the suites were sold out. I was going to stay at another hotel. Danielle said let me see what I could do and said I will speak with my manager and see if we can get you a microwave in my room. They were able to get it UNBELIEVABLE STAFF AND VERY FRIENDLY LOVE LOVE THIS PLACE

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Okay, This is Williams Arizona... Not Las Vegas or Beverly Hills - I would hold those cities to another (higher) standard. Below I will summarize the points about this hotel:
Room - 3 Stars - 19" Tube TV, Typical motel style room. You can hear talking in adjoining rooms.
Room Cleanliness - 5 Stars - Great housekeeping staff!
Bed Comfort - 4 Stars
Front Desk Staff - 5 Stars - Friendly & they do their job quickly & well
Hotel Amenities - 5 Stars - Indoor Pool, Workout Room
Parking - 3 Stars - Could be a walk from where you finally find a place to park to your room.
Lobby - 4 Stars - Soft couches & chairs, A large fireplace

Would I stay here again? Yes... We took the train into the Grand Canyon & you can't find a more convenient location. The place is clean & the staff are friendly. Your other choices are Super 8 style motels.

1 Thank Mark R
Murrieta, California
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a nice stay at this hotel with one exception. It was conveniently located near the train and was a short walk from the cafe and gift shop. After parking our car, there was little reason to drive anywhere (although we did drive about 5 blocks to do some shopping on the main street of Williams.) The pool and spa were indoor and heated. They appeared well maintained but the spa needed a foam treatment to reduce the bubbles. The hotel room was clean and nicely decorated. The workers at the hotel were all friendly and helpful. My only complaint was with the mattresses on the queen sized beds. They were so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep. They were the very cheap hotel mattresses used in budget hotels. Before I would stay at this hotel again I would make sure they upgraded the mattresses. In a hotel such as this one pillow top mattresses are expected. I would have given this hotel a 5 rating but I lost two nights of sleep!

1 Thank b c
NY
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Great place for a stroll up & down Rt. 66, lots of neat little stores and yummy cafe's. Right there for the train ride to the canyon. Only downer is the food. Buffet looked very unappetizing, so we ate elsewhere. Rooms clean and fireplace in main lobby awesome. Friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends