“Unexpected Gem in the Pacific!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waidroka Bay Resort

Waidroka Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Korovisilou
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Unexpected Gem in the Pacific!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had a preconceived view of what to expect from Waidroka, & was expecting a no thrills basic holiday. Instead, I received an amazing 7 days with 7 near perfect surfs at various breaks with an exceptional surf guide called Gil. Gil found us the best surf breaks & led by example how to ride the waves & how to conduct ourselves while surfing - legend! Back at Waidroka, the resort served us well. Clean & tidy. The other managers were a delight to be with for dinner, drinks or for any occasion. They are all such hard workers & genuinely lovely people to be around. Therefore, I am very happy with Waidroka Bay Resort, & would recommend it to any surfer or diver!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank darren-sup-surfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

On my third trip to Fiji and first time at Waidroka, last month (Feb 2013) my partner and I stayed 5 nights in the panoramic room and loved every aspect of our stay! We wish we could have stayed longer.

We surfed 4 out of 5 days at Frigates which was awesome and the last day at Pipes which was also great fun. Gil, our surf guide, was professional, informative and passionate about surfing and making sure everyone was having an incredible experience. He has a cheerful personality and genuinely cares about people! I found Frigates to be quite challenging at first, but Gil was encouraging, made me feel totally at ease, helped me get into the right take off spot and I got the waves of my life! I've hired surf guides in Bali and Lombok and have never come across such a fantastic guide before, Gil really goes above and beyond. Ponte drove the boat for us and he's a great guy, really added to the whole wonderful experience.

One trip to Frigates combined surf & dive and Boris took us diving. This was also an incredible experience. I went diving with another operator in the Coral Coast and it was pretty bad, old equipment, the reg leaked water into my mouth the whole dive and the dive master was just doing his own thing, without looking back to make sure we were all together. Waidroka has good equipment and Boris was extremely attentive and aware. He is a terrific dive master as well as host and a wealth of information. He and Gil ensured we were well catered for both on water and on land. My vegetarian meals were delicious (a pleasant surprise) and the communal dining tables (great for meeting other guests), Leticia, Merrian and all the staff made the dining experience on par with the overall excellence.

The panoramic room was clean and comfortable with a great view. Having a bar fridge and tea/coffee making facilities in the room was convenient and certainly made for a more comfortable experience (rather than having to go to the restaurant for everything).

I went to 2 other places in Fiji afterward and Waidroka is a standout by far. Can't wait to go there again!

Room Tip: Panoramic rooms have a great view and are only a couple minutes walk down stairs to the restaurant.
3 Thank Miki O
Austinmer, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was, by far, one of the best trips my husband and I have ever been on together. While at Waidroka, I experienced the best diving of my life (thank you Rick, Alison and Ponte); warm, genuine, welcoming staff (it was such a pleasure to meet you Boris and Gil); beautiful, clean, comfortable rooms; a phenomenal variety of fantastic, freshly prepared food (catered for my vegan diet); a relaxing atmosphere with lots of activities to keep everyone entertained and superb surf - all at a surprisingly affordable rate! What more could anyone ask for? I can't wait to go back and visit again.

Room Tip: Ocean front bures are fantastic!
3 Thank Mazza762
Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was our first trip to Fiji and I was completely blown away by Waidroka. It is a peaceful resort set in beautiful pristine rainforest. The staff are all fantastic and go out of their way to make you feel welcome, I especially enjoyed meal times when everyone sits around a large table to catch up on their days activities and eat delicious local Fijian dishes.
Our surf trips were great, surfing uncrowded waves was a real treat and Gil the surf guide always found the best waves for the weather conditions and ability of the surfers. Gil was great fun but always kept an eye on everyone to make sure we were all safe-when my partner snapped his leg rope Gil retrieved his board from the reef immediately.
A stay at Waidroka is definitely an activity holiday in paradise. There is so much on offer there, and of course if you want you can just chill with a good book and simply enjoy the surroundings. We will definitely return

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sjh373
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I just spent 8 days at WBR - it was a great time in a gorgeous place! The guests are mainly surfers or divers (or both), and for them WBR is simply a perfect destination. Gil - the surf guide - does a really good job. He is a very pleasant guy and a very experienced surfer. He knows the spots very well and helps every guest to find the perfect wave. Furthermore he is responsible and takes care of your safety. In my case - as my surfing skills are not really adequate to surf Fiji - this meant that he always explained the potential dangers and sometimes recommended me to stay in the boat, according to the conditions. And even on the flat days he did everything to make us enjoy our trip: he took us to wonderful snorkeling spots, remote beaches or went out by boat for wake boarding. I also tried diving for the first time. It was e great experience. The dive guides are absolutely professional, and after my introduction to the "discovery dive" I really felt well-prepared and could just enjoy. Finally, the resort itself is absolutely worth a stay: it is settled in a beautiful location, the food is great, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are nice and clean. I can definitely recommend Waidroka Bay Resort!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank S1R8F
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was my second trip to WBR in 3 months solely because I love the place and most of all the staff. From the minute you arrive it feels like home, best way I can sum it up is the place is like Club Med for surfers/divers on a budget.
If you have a non surfing partner like I do and need a romantic holiday you wont find a more accommodating place in Fiji. I was getting shacked in the morning with Gil the surf guide and then diving epic reefs during the day with my wife, can you say dream come true!
Rick and Alison the dive masters were extremely competent so you always felt safe underwater, I now have a new love for diving!
Boris and the staff constantly went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect.
Special thanks to Boris & Gil for making my wife and I a part of the WBR family, can wait to see you all again.

Room Tip: Bure's are more private if you have a partner with you. Although the Panorama rooms are incredib...
1 Thank TUBEHUNTER
Wyong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Waidroka was above my expectations for everything. A peaceful out of the way resort with friendly and helpful staff. Food and atmosphere were great! I liked the large bar/lounge/dining area that brought everyone together after a day of surfing and/or diving.
Surfed Jays (small) on one day, Pipes on one day (Nearly head high set waves) and Frigates on 5 days ( overhead set waves on 4 out of 5 days). Gil and Boris were a great help in determining where to surf on each day.
We stayed in a panorama room which gives a good view of the lagoon and surrounding reef.
There a plenty of activities in and around the resort, a short bush walk beside a small creek, stand up paddle boards and kayaks, pool table and volleyball court. While I was surfing my wife enjoyed the snorkelling on the nearby reef.
The resort taxi is always available for trips outside the resort.
Everyone very helpful and friendly. Met some very nice people along the way. All in all a terrific holiday!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Allan G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Korovisilou
The Warwick Fiji
Nanuku Auberge Resort
#1 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Waidroka Bay Resort? Share your experiences!