“Family favorite for 30+ years”
Review of Flying E Ranch

Flying E Ranch
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Wickenburg
Okotoks, Canada
“Family favorite for 30+ years”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I've been going to the Flying E since I was about a year old. It is a family owned and run working dude and cattle ranch nestled in the desert by Wickenburg Arizona. In the distance you can see Vulture Peak (climb in you dare, and if you do you get a nice little certificate!).

When we started our family trips at the ranch, it was owned and run by a fantastic couple, George and Vi Wellik. When George passed, Vi took over and take over she did! The atmosphere at the ranch is second to none. When Vi passed in 2004, Andy and Steve took over and they have made the ranch even better. Steve is constantly finding snakes and lizards and showing and teaching the kids about them, photographing owlets in the cactus at the front gate, always welcoming and warm. I can't say enough good things about the Taylors and how they've continued the Flying E legacy.

Family style meals, breakfast made to order, lunch on the patio (with the same lunch trays that I remember as a kid - they're made to last!). Horseback riding, cook outs (complete with beer pancakes!), and every day HAPPY HOUR in the lounge (adults only).

Overall, I can't really describe how wonderful the Ranch is. It's one of those places that you have to experience to understand. I have 30 years of memories to look back on and look forward to creating more with my own family.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
flyingeranch, Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
This is what the Dude Ranch industry is all about. Not just guests but creating a family who returns year after year. It has been my mission to carry on the Wellik legacy. George and Vi were very special people and loved the Flying E. I appreciate your kind words and review "Family favorite for 30 years!" Thank You!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
West Lafayette
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Flying E Dude Ranch was one of my most favorite trips. My husband and I stayed there last week. It is a great place for families with kids and also couples. Alot of the visitors there have been coming as a family for generations. We met two large family groups that had been coming for 25+ years. It is family style and home cooked meals. Andie and Steve are the owners and they make sure you are happy, entertained and well fed. They ring the dinner bell when it's time to eat. Cooked to order breakfast every morning and absolutely delicious lunches and dinners!! You will gain a few on this trip for sure the food is so good. The rooms are quaint but EXTREMELY clean. We didn't spend much time in our room. Lots to do or you can relax in the jacuzzi or swim in the pool. Nighttime entertainment after dinner every night. Muffin toss (cow patty toss) BB shooting contest, cookouts, horseshoes, or you can venture out and tour the Vulture Mine nearby. 20,000 acres of hiking if you don't want to climb. There were 44 people there when we visited and that is about the maximum. There is horseback riding (real horseback riding not just walking around a field) for every level of rider. You are put with the group that fits your riding level. If you feel you are ready to move up to a more challenging group just let them know and it's done. There are always a lot of wranglers so your riding group is small. We started off with 15-20 riders then split off into our riding groups which only left 1 other person in our group. The wranglers know the area very well and it is a personal experience. My husband and I rode 3 times but you can ride 2xs per day if you'd like. I suggest you go in the morning though as it did get much hotter during the afternoon ride. We also climbed Vulture's Peak which I highly recommend. It is not an easy hike but doable for kids who are a bit older. There is some climbing and treacherous rocks. The view from the top is breathtaking and worth the work to get up there. We had a GREAT time and I would recommend this to anyone looking for a less touristy and more personal touch vacation. Loved it and hope to return again. Thanks Andie and Steve and staff!! You do a wonderful job!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rsvkav
flyingeranch, General Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review for the Flying E Ranch. It was great to have you ride our trails and be a part of the Flying E family. Hope to see you back at the ranch in the near future.
All the Best
Ande
La Mesa, California
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Wow! What a great surprise. Everything about the Flying E exceeded our expectations. The staff is outstanding...attentive, thoughtful, and personable. Every meal was delicious and plentiful. The wranglers were amazing. Jane, in particular, is a superstar. She took my 6 yr old granddaughter and made her feel like a natural on her first trail ride...2 hours! The rooms were comfortable and spotless . There was a wide range of activities from square dancing to cookouts to cow patty tossing. We will definitely go back. It is an experience I can hardly wait to repeat. Love to all at the Flying E. Avy + 2

Room Tip: We loved our room by the corral.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Avyplus2
Thank you for taking time to write a review for the Flying E. You guys get an A+ for wonderful Grandparents. We hope to see you back on our trials soon.
Best regards,
Ande
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Based on Tripadvisor recommendations, my daughter and I went to the Flying E for spring break. It was fantastic. Everything about it was wonderful. The horses, wranglers and rides were great. The food was delicious! People were great - guests and everyone that worked there. We just loved it and can't wait to go back!

Great job!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cinmcoleman
flyingeranch, Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We appreciate very much you taking time to write a great review for the ranch and staff members. We had a terrific season, and our thanks to guests like yourself for keeping the western heritage alive. Hope you can return to ride our trails again soon.
London
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Before booking, we looked at the Tripadvisor reviews and were sceptical - how can any place get only 5 star ratings? Too good to be true?
Well, we went and found out for ourselves - and we, too, give the Flying E 5 stars! We could base it on the beautiful location, the great food, the nice rooms. All of those would suffice, but I think the real reason that everyone loves (and keeps going back to) the Flying E is the staff. Ande and Steve combine effortless professionalism with an easy welcome and charm. Nothing is too much trouble, and everything is done to make sure your stay goes well. This ethos is wonderfully present amongst all the staff.
My wife, my son and I had a wonderful time at the Flying E. We can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Travellingdave0
flyingeranch, Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Traveling Dave and family,
Thank you for your kind words and great reveiw for the Flying E Ranch. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your Dude Ranch vacation and we look forward to seeing you back on our trails.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed February 17, 2013

It's a wonderful ranch run by some of the warmest folks I've ever met. The wranglers are very good at what they do, their horses are lovely and each ride was a wonderful new adventure with great views and great stories. The other guests were friendly and fun and so great - we hung out from breakfast to dinner and then played games. fun times!!
I just returned from my first visit to the Flying E and cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fahd S
flyingeranch, General Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Some of the guests you met in Feb. 2013 have reservations for Feb 2014, same time line, and they are asking if you will be returning. It was a fun week, and thank you for your review. Hope to see you back on the trail soon. (Feb. 2014?)
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We just returned from our 2nd visit to the Flying E. It was fabulous! Ande and Steve run a wonderful ranch, and have an equally wonderful staff. The kitchen crew is great, they are so accommodating with dietary issues/restrictions. The wranglers are amazing, very safety conscious and so adept at matching horses to guests. The grounds are meticulous, and it's location, the ability to just ride out the gate into thousands of acres of northern Sonoran desert, is very special. Wickenburg is so easy to get to, just north of Phoenix. We have already reserved our dates for next year.

Room Tip: The end rooms have great views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dover-Laura
What better review than " You Did Not Want To Leave" Thank you. We look forward to seeing back at the ranch 2014.