“Comfy but old”

Best Western Rancho Grande
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Wickenburg
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We spent the first night in the 'annex' across the side street and got about 2 hours sleep - the bed was comfy but the noise from the highway and the air horns from the trains were pretty awful. They were able to move us into another section the second night, but it felt dingy and old. No idea if it was quieter, we were so exhausted by this point we just conked out. Breakfast is pretty darned lame - you get coupons for your choice of a free continental (1 muffin, a juice and a coffee and that's all) or $2 off from the menu at the gold nugget across the street. Not to be mean but pyrite nugget more like, it's greasy not hearty fare.
The good is the location. You can walk pretty much anywhere you want to go in town from here. With some updating this would be a great place.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I visited with my dog and was put in one of the annex rooms across the side street from the main hotel - this worked perfectly, there is a nice, clean, lawn between two small rows of rooms where he could chase the ball around and eat his meals. No sign of previous pets in room or on lawn area. The hotel is quite spread out with many single floor buildings, an nice looking pool that wasn't open yet, and a very nice hot tub. The room was large and had all the necessary facilities, although a high shelf would have been nice for keeping the dog's favourite chew items out of reach. I liked having two doors, one to the driveway where the truck was parked right next to the room and one out onto the grassy area. Room was reasonably well lit and the internet connection worked well. There doesn't seem to be any breakfast on site, you go across the main road to a restaurant. Location is fantastic on the edge of the historic district with plenty of restaurants and stores within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the annex, more privacy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Every year we stay in Wickenburg for a week or so. We always stay at the Best Western--it is charming and very centrally located. You can walk downtown for shopping or dining very easily. We like the "annex" rooms as we have our dogs and they enjoy the grassy area and semi-courtyard.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Robert and his staff are very friendly and ready to help. Myself and my employees stay here more than 15 times a year! Rooms are clean and fresh, close walking distance to everything!
This is the place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last week for 6 nights. It is a nice family-owned property. The hotel is unusually laid out: it is comprised of multiple wings and sections spread out over a large area and a couple of streets. The pool is closed during this time of year (glorious cool, sunny weather in February.) The hotel is old fashionedwith tired furnishings, in a kitschty Arizona town, so don't expect a renovated, fancy property. Think down-home western.

I can highly recommend my room, and my part of the wing as follows: I was in a king non-smoking room, #143, with a patio, with 2 chairs and a little table, facing a grassy area between the 2 wings. I like the room/wing I was in over all the others that I saw in the property. The wing containing rooms 140-145 is non smoking; has a kitchenette; patio doors allow you to a semi-private calm, quiet experience to sit outside. You park your car immediately outside your door. The staff was delightful. My nightly rate was about $84, taxes included ($76 plus tax.)

The other side of this wing (130-139) has some cars nearby, and I think the noise would disturb me. The walls are rather thin in this hotel. You can hear the neighbor's TV and loud talking, but it seemed that everyone was up and out fairly early in the morning and it wasn't an issue after about 10pm.

The included breakfast is off-property. Across the street at Golden Nugget, you can have an anemic breakfast of coffee, OJ from the carton and a large, sweet, good, but obviously highly processed blueberry muffin. Or, you may use the breakfast card for $2 off a menu item. I used it once out of 7 mornings, and that was plenty. If they are busy, it is all but impossible to get a coffee refill. They have fake creamer, which I won't use, and I was able to get a little milk instead.

Instead, I recommend going to the Basha's grocery store around the corner for milk/cream for the room-provided cofee and coffeemaker and buy whatever you like to eat for breakfast. I am a yogurt-fruit-almonds person, so it worked out great for me. Also, Basha's has a full liquor section if you want a glass of wine in your room.

The mattress was pretty good--they seem to have a feather bed topper, so that was pretty comfortable. I liked the bedding: down comforter is sandwished betweek 2 top sheets that are changed/laundered as you request. BUT- the pillows are unfortunately lumpy and hard. I wish I would have brought my travel down pillow, or for the week's stay, bought one at a local store. I confess, it was my fault for not talking to them about finding a really good pillow for me. TV is pretty limited in its offerings, but nice to have. FREE WIFI in the room is a nice bonus. Free parking. Helpful front desk staff.

I considered room 152 instead. For about $110 nightly, it is basically a small apartment with a kitchen containing a full sized fridge, oven/stove; little living room; separate bedroom. I didn't like the fact that if you want to sit outside, you face a fenced in sandy pit for later-in-season volleyball play.

BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE PEACOCKS on this property that are right behind the rooms near the reception area. I would not book one of those rooms as I understand that they can be noisy creatures. The rooms street-facing are also going to have some noise. Lots of cars/motorcycles are passing by the reception area as well, so avoid those. Location is everything in this oddly laid out hotel.

If one wants to stay in Wickenburg--for The Meadow's workshops, other places' workshops, Family Week, or plenty of motorcycle enthusiasts, this is the #1 hotel I would recommend. If you are a Meadows participant, advise them for a discounted rate and ask to be placed in one of the peaceful rooms in the 140-145 wing.

They have ice machines nearby. Vending machines I saw, but didn't use. Free use of the computer and printer in their little lobby is a nice touch.

The heat/air cycles pretty loudly in the room, but I got used to it.

A great feature for travelers with pets: $8 daily fee and your pooch is welcomed in pet friendly rooms.

TIP: I was in the lobby a few evenings checking the internet. I overheard many conversations about this hotel filling up, as do others in town. This Best Western is often nearly full to full, with the occasional overbooking. Reserve, pay ahead, ask for 140-145 and try to get there before nighttime.

Negatives: thin walls, bad pillows.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms 140-145.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Lana G
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stopped in the evening without a reservation. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was small but comfortable at a good rate. The location was close to some great restaurants. I would go out of my way to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DanielW4452
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This hotel was a family owned property. The owner who worked the desk at night, was so very friendly, polite and knowledgable. Rooms were clean, location was quiet but it was right in the heart of the restaurants and stores. Property was clean outside.
This is one of the best experiences I have had.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 226-a in the back building and it was a large oversized room that had two queen bed...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business