“Closed 12 Nov 2011”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Closed 12 Nov 2011”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Looked forward to a visit on 12 Nov. but was closed. Sign inside gate said closed temporarily for "reorganization". Local in Wickenburg said mine has new owner, is being re-opened, but tours will be resumed. Recommend calling ahead (I didn't). Wound up hiking Vulture Peak trail (recommend).

Visited November 2011
1 Thank HosteenToh

Burbank, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My trip to the Vulture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I have gone on the Deser Caballero Ride for twenty years. It is a ride which originates in Wickenburg every April. I heard about the Vulture Mine, the first time I visited Wickenburg. Last year 2010 I decided to visit the Vulture. I drove out by myself and was surprised that noone was there but a tourist couple and a polite lady who said her Mom and Dad used to run "the place". I was given a small brown paper with a map with arrows pointing to the suggested path for the self guided tour. I was asked for a donation which seemed modest and fair. I started up the trail and took an hour meandering past the Glory Hole, the Blacksmith Shop, the Vulture Mine itself, the Ball Mill, the Assay Office, piles of mine tailings, the hanging tree and more. I'm a history buff and reflected on what it was like when the place was humming with people and activity. Back at the "store" where I started an hour earlier a couple of local older retired guys had arrived and were sitting and visiting with the lady who caretakes the property. I talked to them and was pleased to hear there are efforts being made to perserve this slice of 1880s history and to reopen a mining operation because the price of gold has risen so high.

Opinion: If you like mining history, or just American history, you will love your trip to the Vulture. If you are not a history buff and have ants in your pants to see everything quickly and hit the bar.....you will be bored and disappointed because walking the loop takes time.

Jim Nichols

420 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 641 helpful votes
“crumbling, falling, gone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Well ... if you want to see how things really were at a large gold mining operation in old times, the Vulture Mine certainly provides more to see and explore than most other places ... however, sadly, if I compare to what was there when I was a kid and got taken there, and as a teenager - e.g. the dining hall to mention just one thing - , and now - yes, there's quite a few years in between - it's sad how much has just been left to fall down. I'm certainly one to support the 'let things go their natural way' ... but is it really okay to let the main buildings and construction just fall apart so that now much of it is just collapsed heaps of junk - which I think is a crying shame. Ok, it still DOES have a lot of charm, and if yxou've never seen it in the past and never seen a large operation like this it's certainly well worth seeing - and there ARE endeavors now to save and preserve what's still left - a bit late, is my complaint, but better late than never ... In recent years I felt the admission fee was a bit stiff for what's still there, but if the money's now used to save it, okay ...

Visited October 2010
1 Thank Esty666
Phoenix, Arizona
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Must see ghost town for those that love history and ghosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

We arrived at 8am, opening time. We were the only ones visiting at this time. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly, nice man. He gave us some history, answered some questions and sent us on our adventure.
When we arrived my camera died. Brand new batteries. I went through 6 batteries before I gave up for awhile. He said this happens often and some say that ghosts drain batteries to get the energy. Once we left the main building at the front my camera suddenly started working again. This went on and on, off and on around certain buildings. It was very weird. Several times I heard voices, though I could not quite understand what was being said. There were 5 of us total and we were all together, so I know I wasn't hearing them. No one else had these experiences, but no one else in our group really believes in this sort of thing either.
The buildings are great. Left as though people just walked away from them one day and left a lot of belongings. Chair frames, bed frames, bottles, etc. just left behind through the decades. Some buildings you cannot walk through as they are really falling down and would be dangerous, but there are plenty that you are allowed to walk through.
If you go during the hot months be sure to bring plenty of water and hit the place early in the morning. I would say a fall visit would be much better. Also, wear good shoes. Lots of walking and soft sand in areas.
The cost is $10 per person and they only accept cash, no CC or Debits.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank backsthepack
azis4me
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

A true ghost town. I am sad it won't be around much longer. See it while you can. Amazing history in this little town.

1 Thank azis4me