“Thumbs Down”
Review of Vulture Gold Mine

Vulture Gold Mine
Ranked #10 of 22 things to do in Wickenburg
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I arrived with 3 small (excited) kids at 3PM - Their brochure indicates they close at 4 - but we were told that today they decided to close an hour early - so though luck.

Instead of letting us have a quick look which was my suggestion (how hard can it be - only one person works there?) we had to get back in the car.

2  Thank Erik567
in 2 reviews
in 20 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed December 6, 2010

The Vulture Mine is the place to go to find real ghosts. We experienced someone saying "Hello" that came from the kitchen as we walked by, we went into it and no one was there. Yet when we walked out the door we heard that voice say "Bye". We saw a "black shadow" moving back and forth in the ball mill. This place was fantastic, we now found out they are conducting Ghost Tours on Sunday nights for a low fee. The original fee to do a day walk through out the property is cheap only $10 per person. They are trying to raise money to save the mine and make it into a living history location.
See www.savethevulturemine.org This was great to find out, and we also found out about a local Ghost Hunting team that is also doing alot of work with the vulture mine.. They website is great as well. www.ghostsofarizona.com, check them out, i heard they will be doing a monthly tour at the mine on sunday nights as well. They have some really earie sounds that they have caught at this location.. So do i give it a thumbs up, oh yes and a 9 out of 10 points for a great place to visit.

8  Thank RayRayRay50
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I went here a few years ago with a paranormal research group as a member. I had no real expectations as to what I would encounter, but, I tell everyone that is willing to lend an ear of what I did happen across when I went to the Vulture Mine. Located on top of a hill are two school houses. The first one you come ascross is the original older school house, and the second on is newer. I was touched while sitting in a circle in the back room of the oldest school house, and heard several team member's names being called.

The Vulture Mine is a blast into a hard past that you would never think that anyone could have ever possibly been able to survive the harsh Arizona climant, and just a general lack of having anything. Seeing how these people lived really makes me appreciate my crappy car, my A/C, and having access to basic medical care.

Places of special interest:

Kitchen House -
At certain times you can smell fresh baked sugar cookies. Not sure why. We have eliminated any kind of near by trees, and it is unknown if the gift shop supplies fresh baked sugar cookies.

School House (old one) -
If you are quiet, and just listen, you can hear children playing in the schoolhouse. If you talk to them, they will listen. They are nervous of strangers though, but there is one little boy in particular, I think we got the name Odie or Arthur, he is the bravest one of all the children and will play with your hair and or touch you.

School House Swing Set -
When approaching the school house, we saw one of the swings was swinging all by itself. Zero wind that afternoon.

Cemetary located up the road from the Mine -
It's sad how many people died that lived in and around Vulture City. A lot of people died from TB and other related illnesses common to that era (1800's) mostly children.

It is sad that the location has been let run down, and no one has fixed it up or restored anything, but at the same time, it really gives you the feeling of how old everything is. I love this place and would reccomend it to any history or paranormal buff that can appreciate a little taste of Arizona history.

10  Thank AZSunshinegirl28
Reviewed April 27, 2010

The Vulture Gold Mine and the weathered remains of the once thriving Vulture City is a historical treasure that is best enjoyed by those who want an accurate look at what the "Old West" was like. With just a hint of imagination, you can hear the pounding of the ore crushers and see the weary miners trudging back to the bunkhouse from their shift in the "glory hole." No amusement rides here. The buildings are in a sad state and a group of concerned citizens has recently formed the Vulture Mine Preservation and Restoration Assoication to stabilize and rehabilitate the remaining structures. If you'd like to help this group save it, their web site is www.savevulturemine.org.

5  Thank beamc