“Lovely high desert ride”

Cowboy Way Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the beauty of Arizona from horseback. Cowboy Way Adventures offers guided horseback trail rides in scenic Wickenburg and Prescott, Arizona. NEWS FLASH!! We have moved back to Wickenburg for the winter and are now offering Ranch Sorting! Hourly horseback rides, half and full day rides are available as well as overnight pack trips. We also do special events such as horseback weddings and parties. Give us a call and we will plan your next horseback trail riding adventure... the Cowboy Way!.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I live in Cottonwood and was happy to hear that Cowboy Way Adventures was establishing a new ranch between Cottonwood and Sedona. I have ridden with them at their Prescott location. The countryside around Cottonwood and Sedona is lovely. The red rocks of Sedona are visible in the distance and each turn around rock or boulder, mesquite or acacia is more striking than the last. The town of Jerome is visible up on Cleopatra Hill. We also spotted the resident bulls, cottontails and even a red tail hawk. As to the horses, these are NOT nose-to-tail horses but rather working ranch horses with personalities. If you envision a "trail" ride, I would suggest another outfit. If you are looking for a little adventure (and I am 63 years old) and a lot of fun with some surprises thrown in, Charlie and his crew can't be beat. Jared was our guide. A young and charming working cowboy who was clearly born in the saddle and probably doesn't get out of it much, he shared stories of growing up on a ranch in California and his experience in rodeo (he has the saddle to prove he's a winner). Always friendly and accommodating, Jared took the trip from fun to delightful. When I booked the ride I was told to bring water, a hat, and to wear closed toed shoes and long pants. After signing our waivers and getting a short lesson in how to mount, dismount, hold reins, stop, turn and backup and the water bags on our saddles were pointed out we were off. Initially, riders could spread out and ride abreast but as time went on the trip up to higher ground was tougher as the horses picked their way over the rocky terrain. Jared coached us throughout the ride, offering assistance when needed and riding back and forth among us to make sure everyone was having a good time and more importantly, that everyone was safe. Horseback riding here is an enjoyable riding experience not simply sitting on the back of a horse.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"rattlesnake"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I bought a Groupon trail ride for two and for the past couple of days I have been trying to get someone to email me back or return my voice messages. I have left two voice messages and one email. My boyfriend finally got some guy on the line and every day we had open to go, before the Groupon expiration date of October 16, 2013, he was told that the days were completely booked. My boyfriend responded with okay, we can go on a Friday instead of a weekend day. The guy hesitated, then said, no, all booked and perhaps we want to contact Groupon and see if we can't use the $59.00 we paid for the horseback ride for something else.

Really?! I read other negative reviews and see where Cowboy Way Adventures responded that they don't get or can't respond to emails and one said they can't find where any voice mails were left for them. Like I believe that.

Not sure what is going on at this place, but it definitely needs to work on customer service.. and answer your voicemails. I can pull phone records of when I called and the email I sent that went through.

Please don't respond with excuses for your awful customer service.

3  Thank Carol P
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a very enjoyable experience horseback riding through the desert in cottonwood. All the horses knew exactly what to do which helped even the least experienced rider. It was a very hot day so I do recommend you bring water. However when I booked this adventure I was reminded to bring water but once we were on the horses there was no place to hold our water. I feel there should be a little bag hung off the saddle for your water. Once those horses get trotting its hard to hold your water and hold onto the saddle. I look forward to going on another ride at one of their other riding locations. The cottonwood site doesn't have anything spectacular to look at but it is very peaceful and relaxing. We rode on the 90 minute ride and the time flew by.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We spent a wonderful 3 hours with a great cowboy named Joe, and 2 wonderful horses, and 2 wild and crazy dogs. We spent a week in AZ and ended it with this ride which was one of the highlights of our vacation. If you think of John Wayne and his partner riding across the prairie/desert with his partner that's how my wife and I experienced the Cottonwood location. The scenery is not spectacular, but the horses made it all worthwhile. No nose to tail riding here, these horses went where you told them to go, without hesitation, John told us these were real working horses and it showed.

Do not hesitate to enjoy this adventure.