All reviews trap shooting golf course skeet shooting breakfast and lunch horseback riding dude ranch kids program jeep tour golf club dress code family vacation cowboy cookout nature walk great golf ribs meal plan playing cards
Selected filters
Reviewed November 3, 2014

Rancho de los Caballeros is a special old world pleasure. Come to ride, hike, play tennis and golf or scrabble in the game room. It is a perfect resort for family get togethers with a wide age range and tastes. You will meet families who have be coming for generations. Make your own tradition.

Date of stay: December 2013
2  Thank Sails4Fun
Reviewed October 7, 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been visiting the ranch for about 15 years now. This was a surprise visit for my dad's birthday and it was an incredible trip as usual. The staff is awesome- from the wranglers, to the waiters, to the groundskeepers. Always so warm and friendly, always working to make our stay more enjoyable. The horses are great- well behaved and well cared for. The food is fantastic and I would absolutely recommend the ranch to any and all families. Some of us golf, others ride so it's a perfect combination for our family! It is my favorite place in the world and I look forward to many more years to come!

Date of stay: November 2013
1  Thank Val L
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Pleasant staff, clean and odor free room, hot shower, cold a/c, away from traffic noise. Breakfast hot and tasty though not quite as extensive a spread as some BW's do now. This is an older property and shows it, but well maintained and nothing about it's age compromised my comfort. One quibble--the a/c was very effective but the fan was high only and borderline too loud to sleep with. It (apparently) had no working thermostat so it was full blast or nothing. My stay in May was not too hot so I just cooled it way down and turned it completely off when I went to bed. The price I paid was very reasonable. I don't like to quote exact prices on reviews, but it was substantially less than I usually pay at a BW. This is probably the best value in Wickenburg.

Room tip: Check a/c function if staying in hot season.
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Tony P
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This ranch and golf resort in Wickenburg has never failed to deliver a great experience. The daily horse ride offers wonderful views and a sense of solitude. The accommodation is very comfortable and is matched with excellent service. The dining experience is also of a very high standard. Unfortunately none of us play golf so I am unable to say much about this other than that the dining facilities at the clubhouse are superb for a light lunch, snack or evening meal. This was my 4th visit but a 1st for my son, daughter-in-law, daughter and her partner and they all had a wonderful relaxing time.

Room tip: This ranch offers different sized single storey accommodation all with private patios.
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank ELAINE C
Reviewed May 5, 2014

OVERALL

We had a 3 day/2 night stay at the resort during the week prior to Easter. While some aspects of the resort were wonderful, others were woefully lacking. My kids and I like to be active and explore our surroundings, enjoying nature along the way. The only way we could really do this here was to sit and enjoy the view. So – we were bored and disappointed. My husband likes a relaxing place where he can sit around, read a book, take a nap and be fed well. So for him this was perfect. It would have been perfect for all of us if the resort had lived up to its own hype and provided what they state on their website. Alas – they don’t. So, I am guessing it depends on your expectations for the price whether you’ll be happy or not. We did make friends with a few other families here and they all said the same thing. There are many people here (and a surprising amount from the United Kingdom) that stay here year after year and have been doing so for 20 + years. But if the resort wants to attract new families to do the same, they have got to provide better facilities and services. I am posting a copy of their weekly activity info as jpegs.

FOOD

The stay was part of a greater 9 day road trip through Arizona and it was by far (really, really by far) – the best food we had during our vacation. The breakfast and lunch buffets are gourmet in every way. Lunch offered an incredible salad bar and dessert bar – but also soups, hot entrees, a cold cut/sandwich station, chips and salsa, homemade potato chips, a fresh roasted, hand carved meat (one day ham and the next pork loin), vegetables and other side dishes. Breakfast offered just about anything you can think of, including and omelet station, made to order pancakes (with your choice of fillings), made to order Belgian waffles, hot cereal, cold cereal, pastries, breads, bagels, lox, cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, hot eggs, bacon, sausage, - you name it. The staff and chef are friendly, helpful and attentive. Dinner is a sit down service that offers your choice of several salads, soups or appetizers, entrees and also desserts. Entrees include a meat special, a Sonoran desert special (local cuisine and flavors), and fish special nightly + a choice of probably 6-8 other entrees. Portions are large, flavors intense and bold, ingredients fresh. They are very attentive to special dietary needs. After they served a strawberry as a garnish one day on my son’s plate and we told them he was allergic, they made the next night to take it off his plate (without us having to remind them). I always find it a bit weird that an all inclusive price does not include soda or iced tea, so expect a bill for $2.30 for each one you order.

HORSES

Everyone involved in riding in any way was superb. This includes the admin staff, wranglers, cowboys and professional photographer. Just very down to earth, easy-going, out to make sure you have a good time people. The stable area is open just about always for you to go visit the horses, pet them and admire their beauty. Day one we went on a family trail ride. The next day, my daughter went out with a kids trail ride. All trail rides are 2 hours long. The kids ride is grouped into ages. No cowboy takes more than maybe 6-8 riders out at any one time. Horses are gentle and almost go on autopilot (good for us occasional riders). Scenery is spectacular. Feel free to bring a water bottle, a camera and a cowboy hat. Don’t have a cowboy hat? They’ll let you borrow one. Need a small saddle bag for the water bottles, small camera or (in our case Kleenex due to allergies) – just ask. They have cute bags made from the tops of recycled cowboy boots that go right on the saddle horn. Wear long pants, long sleeves, a hat with a brim (but which ties around your neck – so no baseball caps) and some sturdy shoes. Price of rides is not included in rates, although we found the price of $65 to be reasonable.

POOL

Crowded and needs to be warmer than 78 degrees. With the temp getting low at night in the desert, the pool doesn’t really hold its heat very well.

RECEPTION/SERVICES

I am sad to report that these are the most unknowledgeable and unfriendly folks at the resort. Of course, the general manager apparently quit the week before, so perhaps management issues really are a problem here. Not helpful or knowledgeable about area attractions. Not engaging or friendly. No brochures or info available. Not even knowledgeable about their own offerings. Twice in two days we asked different people questions about the resort and they didn’t have proper information. Then someone who claimed to be the manager yelled at one of the employees in front of us and said that everything we were told was wrong and demanded to know who we spoke to and when so that she could take notes and yell at them. And she already had a pad and pen in hand. Highly unprofessional. She never bothered to apologize or try to fix any problems we had. She seemed to be intent only on chastising her employees.

ROOMS

We are a family of four with a 10 year old and 13 year old. We stayed in a Maricopa Suite which had a separate queen bedroom, large bathroom, kitchenette and large living space with a Murphy bed. My kids rarely complain about beds, but they said the Murphy bed was so uncomfortable that they didn’t sleep well at all. Queen bed was comfy though. The living area is very bright with windows all around. Not very private, as people can see in while they are walking around the resort, but that was expected. But if you’re craving real privacy, you might want to opt for different accommodations. The furnishings, bathroom, floor etc are very, very dated and really could use an update. The bathroom, while huge, is particularly showing its age. The lighting is awful. It is so dim in the bedroom, hallway and bathroom that we needed a flashlight. Actually – you might even opt for a flashlight while walking around the resort at night. Couldn’t read by the light at all. Hard to put on make-up too.

MAID SERVICE

Downright awful. The maid service was so bad that all they did was make a bed and change out towels. Didn’t sweep, empty trash or wipe down a mirror. I questioned if things were clean at all once I lifted towels off the tub and found rubbish under the neatly folded towels. And one day the toilet would not flush properly. We reported this on our way out for a trail ride and lunch. When we came back, we assumed it was fixed, only to find out that it wasn’t when my son tried to flush and it nearly overflowed. Called again and we were told it was fine. Apparently it “looked fine” to them, so they never even tried it to find the issue and fix it. Next thing I know I am getting out of a shower and the maid comes running in unannounced. She never knocked on our front door or announced herself. I asked for a few minutes to get descent and turned the corner to enter my bedroom and the maintenance man was already standing there with plumbing tools in hand. Neither apologized at all. Worst thing – they didn’t bother to mop the bathroom and clean it after they fixed the toilet. If we weren’t checking out the next day anyway, we would have demanded a refund and left anyway.

AMENITIES

Oh my goodness. More than $800 a night with tax and they didn’t have “enough people signed up” so they cancelled the cowboy dinner. Now – we’re at a supposed dude ranch, booked specific days so that we could enjoy the cowboy dinner, entertainment and bonfire and you just cancel it??? Also found out that there are almost NO activities on a Sunday at all “because of the cowboys union.” Team penning is one day only per week. So some activities are extremely limited or just plain non-existent. When we asked about the nature center, we were told it is rarely open because it can only be open when their naturalist is there and he is rarely here. When he is – he is either doing something with the kids program or leading a ride. Kids play area (as indicated on map) is rather non-existent. They do have a small swing set/play area near tennis courts. They do lend tennis rackets and balls. We wanted to walk or hike some trails and asked for a map. They don’t have a trail map. Then I was informed that they prefer guests stay off the trails so that horses can use them exclusively (even though they only do rides twice per day). My son wanted to play basketball on the court outside of our building. Well – that’s staff quarters and only for staff to use and so they didn’t have a basketball. Everything we thought we’d enjoy based on the website turned out to be unavailable. And remember – we were there during the busy season – when activities should be plentiful.

SPA

My husband had a hot stone massage and thoroughly enjoyed it. He thought the spa facilities were the nicest facilities at the resort. Rooms are in separate little buildings, so they are very quiet and private. Be ready for a mandatory gratuity though – you can’t tip based on service alone. It’s already added in.

GROUNDS

Gorgeous and well kept. Fabulous views, wonderful landscaping and gardens.

Date of stay: April 2014