“Cool ride, beautiful vistas”

White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation
More attraction details
Owner description: Covering more than 1.6 million acres in east central Arizona, these tribal lands of the Apache contain some of the state's most scenic and plentiful recreation areas including lakes and streams for fishing, and scenic landscapes for hiking and camping.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you don't plan on hitting the Hon Dah casino, don't think there's no reason to take Rte 260 past Pinetop and into the Apache Reservation. The road is well-maintained, and the scenery changes as you climb higher in elevation.
From scrub pines to ponderosa pines to aspens, across broad meadows with grazing cattle, up to nearly 9,000 ft. The temperature falls at least 10 degrees from Show Low. Eventually you get to Greer (a cute little tourist town) - and that's about as far as you'll want to got before you head back to Pinetop or Show Low (about 1-1/2 hour each way).

5  Thank Jim M

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I enjoyed my visit . Great airport and Timber operation . I found it some what hard to get to know the people , like I said trust . Great church actives in the area about five or so . Not a lot of outsiders visit and when you do visit you know you are an outsider . I think in the future outsiders will be more welcome . The reservation has the same issues as any city or town . The police in my opinion are great as is the fire and ems . They have a great hospital and school system on the reservation . One must remember they have a way of life that may differ than those who visit just as you and I have our way of life . You just may want to try a smile and a hand shake and go with the flow . Promotional material , maps and a guide service or posted signs to areas to visit would help on a visit . Some fokes from the reservation came to my town to visit wow was it great . Visit with the opinion everyone is different and you and I are not special . Richard

8  Thank richard c
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have spent a fair share of time in Whiteriver, and I can honestly say, I have no idea what is even offered here to look at. There are no promotional materials I can find, and it is impossible to get anyone to help you if you ask for directions. The animals wandering everywhere are a huge problem. I have almost hit horses on the main street running through town at least a dozen times. The police are supposed to round up the animals, but I seem to see the same horses over and over and over again. I don't think I have ever been to Whiteriver where I didn't see at least two or three dead dogs on the side of the road, many of them for days and days. There is no shopping except the grocery store, and there are few if any signs giving directions to places. Once, I had to stop at the high school and drop something off. I went to the building that said "Alchesay High School" and went it. It was not the school. The lady who finally helped me treated me like I was an idiot and told me this had not been the school for years, it was the tribal legal office. I asked her why they didn't take the letters off the side of the building. I would love to go explore Ft. Apache, but a friend of mine who is from Whiteriver told me not to bother. It would be easier to have a tribal member take me around and show me things, as nobody really knows when the museum is open, and I can't seem to actually get in touch with anyone there anyway. There is potential here, but a huge sense of "I don't care".

12  Thank ProfessorDiva
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Nicely done small museum of White Mtn. Apache Tribe and it's dealings with U.S. Army. Located on eastern edge of Fort Apache. Lots of older buildings (mostly closed to public), but beatiful restored Victorian mansion, which was the commandants quarters. May interesting late 19th. century structures. Low admission cost includes Kinishba ruins. Ruins are about 3/4 mi. west of museum and then about two miles off road. Be careful if you have a low ground clearance vehicle. Stay on left at Y intersection (unmarked).

6  Thank slaterock1704
Reviewed September 11, 2012

dirty with dead animals on the highways, outrageous police department with no shopping and lousy service.

12  Thank George R