“Surprised by Great Wine and View”

Charron Vineyards & Winery
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Vail
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visit Tucson's closest winery and enjoy handcrafted Arizona wines with spectacular mountain views. Charron Vineyards is a small family owned winery located less than 30 minutes drive from downtown Tucson. Established in 1995, Charron Vineyards produces many distinctive wines including their award winning White Merlot. At Charron you are encouraged to relax while each hand crafted wine is brought to your table and your knowledgeable server explains the wines journey from grape to glass. There are also gourmet picnic baskets available to enjoy while you sip, and a delightful wine themed gift shop. The wide selection of wines produced at Charron have a characteristic style imparted by the environment in which they are produced. The higher elevation overlooking the rolling slopes of the Santa Rita and Empire Mountains brings fresh mountain air, rich soil and an essence of tranquility. Be sure to visit one of the oldest, most picturesque wineries in the state, with a beautiful new tasting room and outdoor covered deck nestled amongst the mature grape vines with breathtaking mountain views.
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I enjoy trying local wines whenever I travel, and on my first visit to the Tucson area, was surprised to find such a large wine industry around the Sonoita area. Following the wine trail, I stopped at several different vineyards along the way, the first stop and my favorite, was Charron. Yes it's a bit of a bumpy road to get back to it from AZ83 (don't tell my rental co. that I was off-roading please!), but the jostling is well worth it. The tasting room sits on a rise with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains (Santa Rita's?) Even though it was a hot day, there was a nice breeze, so I sat outside on the deck sampling 6 wines. The owner served each tasting and gave a brief description of each wine. My favorites turned out to be the Cabernet Sauvignon, and their Merlot Blanc de Noir, which is made from the grapes they grow on site. Wish I could have stayed longer, but I had more places to visit. I'll visit again with friends on my next trip!

3  Thank OneCageyTraveler

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I were in Sonoita for the weekend. Decided to stop by Charron on the way home. Not easy to get to but well worth it. Beautifully relaxing setting. Could spend an afternoon there. Owners are very courteous and helpful. Some of the best wine we've had in this area. Look forward to going back soon!

4  Thank jwishz
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stopped by at end end of our trip to the SE Wine Festival. Stayed for the better part of an afternoon tasting wines on their beautiful deck overlooking the SE Valley area. Ended up buying an entire case, so I guess we really liked the wine ! ( we did indeed !! ) looking forward to coming back here ...

1  Thank AZRAnne
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful scenery, great wine! the people are very accommodating. They bring u the wine to taste while u look at the gorgeous scenery. A great trip for a couple

3  Thank ClaimsMachine
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was a fantastic experience. We went for a girls getaway and it was perfect. The vineyards were not in bloom, but the view was still amazing. The owners were so welcoming and accommodating. There was a mesquite fire going to add to the experience. We did a tasting and received a free glass to take home. Charron vineyards is a hidden treasure less than 20 minutes outside Tucson!

2  Thank JDowns82