“Average at best”

Colossal Cave Mountain Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Vail
More attraction details
Owner description: This desert refuge has sheltered people for over a thousand years. It has been home, shrine, hideout, challenging workplace, exciting playground, tranquil retreat. On the National Historic Register, the 2,400-acre Park showcases crystal-filled Colossal Cave and historic La Posta Quemada Ranch. Cave tours, museum, Western trail rides, picnicking. Open daily
Vail, Arizona
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Average at best”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I live in Vail, and took some friends here a year back - as I wanted to see Colossal Cave myself. I would rate this as 'okay' - you are not really missing anything if you skip it. They are dry caves, which are quite interesting - but the tour is short, and I did not walk away with a 'wow' experience. You pay for parking when you go in AND they charge for the tour... personally, I did not think it was worth the $5 parking AND $13 cave tour (they refer to it as a donation)

Your time is actually better spent going down the I-10 heading east approximately 20 miles and going to Kartchner Caverns which is a definite WOW experience

Visited September 2012

Hillsborough, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“worth the time”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

These are dry caves with no water. Very easy to navigate with your guide and well lit. The Korean guide was awsome. Horseback ridind at the stables. A punch card for the kids to get a free gift if it got all punched. I always new elvis wasn't with aliens. You'll see what I mean. Don't forget your 5 bucks back at the gate when leaving.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Darren G
Goshen, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Shorter tour better for kids”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Dry cave but still fascinating. Look for the witch and her cat (rock formation). Wanted to go to Kartchner but this was closer to Tucson which saved us time to see other things that day. Would still like to go to Kartchner some day (wet cave) but word had it that with children who might get bored quicker, this was a good option. Worked out well for us.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank clantonkidsmom
Phoenix, Arizona
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A different view”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Its nice on hot day,we did the cave tour, bring a small flash light and camera, if you have cardio problems do not do this. Your eyes will adjust in a few minutes upon entry. Its up and down stairs and winding tunnels and fun. You will not need a jacket. Its 70 constant inside and you will be moving most of the time. The intro tour was excellent and the guide is educational along the way. The roads on the park are a bit beaten up by weather. We saw Deer cross the road.

Visited May 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Big Let Down”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Are son who is 6 years old wanted to see some stalactites and stalgmites. So thought we would go to Colossal Cave and see it. We were waiting to go into the cave. Didn't have to wait long. Price was 13 bucks for adults and 6.50 under 12. You can carry bags and such with you and water bottles and cameras to take pictures. Other caves inArizona do not allow those items. So we go into the cave. I'm 15 feet in and the walls closed in on me really bad, told my husband and son no way I can't do this. So I walked back out. Went in and told the lady that took our money, she says to me sorry. Not a word of I will give you a refund of your protion back. So I sat outside for the 50 min. to pass by 4 more groups went in after ours did. And out come my son & husband. They had dissapointment on thier faces. I said well? I was told that a lot of the formations were broken off and just wasn't that great to see. So are son was all bummed out that something he wanted to see was not even in the cave no more. Really for that kind of price they need to bring it down to maybe 8 bucks a head.

Visited May 2013
ColossalFun, Park Director at Colossal Cave Mountain Park, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
I have responded to cindylou46, through another medium, as follows....

"Thank you for writing to tell us about your disappointing experience in the Park.
First, I am so sorry you experienced claustrophobia. It sometimes happens that way: someone will go into the Cave with no idea they are claustrophobic till they get inside—not fun.
I’m not sure what went wrong on Saturday, but it is absolutely our policy to give refunds in such circumstances. The only thing I can think is that we were extraordinarily busy that day and the counter person was working alone, and somehow it got past her. My profound apologies for the error; if you will send me your address, I will send you a refund right away.
I hope you will visit the Park again soon."

cindylou46 sent us her address and indicated she might want to visit the Park in the future. We have sent her a refund as well as a complimentary Park Use Pass (worth $5.00) for her return trip to the Park.

The few broken formations are an unfortunate byproduct of the Cave having been discovered in the early 1880s, when people thought taking home "cabinet specimens" of formations was just the thing to do. However, we do have many beautiful intact formations as well as some very rare ones.