“We found nothing better at Grand Canyon”
Review of Coronado Room

Coronado Room
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Tusayan
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2013

When everything else around the area you try is sooooo mediocre, it is easy to say this was the best. We enjoyed their regular and early dinner up to 6 pm specials and it was good.

1  Thank Enrico P

Reviewed December 3, 2013

mediocre restaurant. food was ok, probably overpriced for what you get. the service was terrible. they seemed disorganized and understaffed.however, the kids meals were above average.

1  Thank iamme5
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We were staying overnight at the Squire Inn and had it in our minds before our arrival to eat in the Sports Bar. The noise from the Juke Box, and a table of young locals forced us upstairs to the Coronado Room. This has a dated faux elegance in keeping with provincial hotels who think their restaurant is better than it is, and whose prices are no indication of quality of food or service. Normally I would avoid such places. We shared the starter sampler of elk satay (stone cold), crab cake and "rattlesnake eggs". The latter were stuffed jalopena peppers wrapped in bacon and deepfried, and were OK. The crab cake had the telltale sign of factory crumbing akin to a fish finger. I suspect the satay went cold waiting for its accomplices to join it from the freezer by way of the fryer.

Buffalo short ribs were delicious, but I suspect cooked elsewhere although that may be unfair. My wife's rack a lamb wasn't medium as ordered nor was it a rack. To me a rack is either cooked and served whole or carved into cutlets once cooked. This was a collection of individually overcooked lamb
cutlets. The granny smith apple cake was a bought in confection of inferior quality and a disgraceful way to end this meal. Service was attentive, friendly but amateurish.
I have no issue with restaurants buying in prepared dishes especially when location is against them. But the food here had been bought more with an eye to margin than delighting the customer because presumably they know they have a captive audience and can get away with it. I spent my working life in the restaurant business so maybe I'm hyper critical. My wife loved it and would go back without hesitation. I can't say that any of our fellow diners appeared to be enjoying themselves but seemed resigned to their fate as was I. Next time I would rather take a walk down the road to McDonalds.
I don't feel cheated. This was an entirely predictable dining experience that cost around $90.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Food decent, drinks not so much. The manager who seated us was missing for about 10 minutes while other diners waited to be seated as well (with reservation) - the service was pleasant but a bit slow. Food average but it is the nicest restaurant in Tusayan and very convenient if you are staying at the Best Western which is where is located.

1  Thank Linda E
Reviewed November 17, 2013

actually this turned out to be one of the best dining we had during our visit. The buffalo short ribs were so soft and amazing. Sampler was good. Decent prices. They also have a box lunch that they prepare for a day trip for only $8 and it comes with lots of stuff and well worth it.