“Mediocre”

Ranked #14 of 20 Restaurants in Tusayan
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Both the restaurant and the adjacent saloon at the Grand Hotel in Grand Canyon, Arizona bring that old time southwestern sensibility to life with exposed timber, stone, ironwork and decor that's influenced by the area.The restaurant serves steaks, great barbeque dishes, Southwest-inspired foods and traditional western-themed fare.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Restaurant located inside The Grand Hotel in Tusaya, AZ. Nice setting, atmosphere and service but the same can not be said of the food. We had dinner twice at this location and the food was no more than average. Early morning coffee (served at the bar) was terrible, with rude service and poor coffee for $3 per cup! See my review of the hotel to get a better idea about this establishment.

There are newer reviews for Canyon Star

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Since I was staying in the hotel this restaurant was at, I was able to eat twice there. First was breakfast one morning, which, was average. Nothing special about it, but then again, I didnt order anything special. Bacon, Eggs, Potatoes... I dont think anyone can mess that up. Dinner, on the other hand, was excellent. After a day of hiking in the grand canyon, I wanted a juicy steak. And yes, this steak hit the spot. Now I wont say best steak ever, but it was very good. Along with the side of vegetables, and I was a happy man at dinner. The service was average, it took a little to get seated because I requested a booth, which had to be cleaned. Once cleaned, the bus person who cleaned it, failed to mention to the host that the table was ready. Only until I pointed out that the table was ready did I get seated. No biggie tho, because the waitstaff was friendly, prompt, and wait time on food was what I expected for a steak. Would I go back again? Definitely. A little live entertainment was a one man band playing a banjo or guitar, which, I must say, enjoyed even though I thought I would not.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel and had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. We had a late dinner and the steak and service were both excellent. Breakfast service was quite slow although the restaurant was not full. However, the food was good, so overall no complaints.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is the worst dining experience I have ever encountered. Our first tip off should have been when the host told us there was a 30-40 min. wait when the restaurant was clearly less then 1/3 full. ....(a wait?) So we went to the bar and ordered drinks that were poured quite heavily...another possible tip off!!?? When we were finally seated and the menus delivered, we waited another 15 mins. for water. The rolls delivered to the table (to hold us over) were so old and tough from overheating you could barely break them in two. (tip off #3). The place was less then 1/3 full and serving maybe four other tables?!! What's the hold-up?? One waitress was visible, the host was sitting in front of the TV clearly bored with nothing to do? When our food finely arrived 40 mins. later, it was scarcely warm and a Jambalaya dish clearly dried out from sitting under heat lamps. Really people?? We had a rib-eye served to our table that measured barely a 1/2 inch thick (not kidding here) ...and looked like it was put on the broiler after someone else sent it back. NO DECENT KITCHEN would have let a steak go out the way this one was served ...which was dried out and visibly burnt. Who was running the kitchen? Clearly NO one!! We complained to the waitress who sent over the manager ...the manager being the table bus person ...who had clearly NO IDEA of how horrible the food and service was (or maybe he did and was tired of hearing about it ...) and was rather 'indifferent' to us and our concerns. I was very uncomfortable with this encounter ....as I have never found the need to negotiate over a dinner tab ...or left a table with four barely touched dinners. My daughter order a cup of soup and a 'cold' salad....that was good and she was able to eat everything. But clearly anyone ordering anything that needed to be cooked, baked, or broiled was in for a nasty treat!! We left disgruntled and hungry and settled up paying less than 1/3 of our dinner tab. It is clearly OBVIOUS the company running this restaurant has NO IDEA of the terrible the food and service. If I were them...I'd shut the place down and start over as the atmosphere has great possibilities. My suggestion ...if your dining here ...stick with the soup and salad...and trust NONE of the enticing descriptions of other dishes on the menu.

1  Thank ShipToad
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We enjoyed the potato skins.
The cup of soup was a great treat.
In the end we got the tiramisu - which was delicious.
Service was good and our server was attentive, warm and helpful.