“not worth the money”

Ranked #15 of 20 Restaurants in Tusayan
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Both the restaurant and the adjacent saloon at the Grand Hotel in Grand Canyon, Arizona bring that old time southwestern sensibility to life with exposed timber, stone, ironwork and decor that's influenced by the area.The restaurant serves steaks, great barbeque dishes, Southwest-inspired foods and traditional western-themed fare.
Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
“not worth the money”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were very disappointed in this restaurant. The food was mediocre at best and it was very expensive. Since it was our first night at the Canyon, we thought all the food would be priced like this. We were wrong. It was the most expensive and we didn't eat half of it because it wasn't worth the effort. Avoid unless you hear that there is a new cook/ management.

Visited March 2013

• Korean first
West Chicago
“Better than expected”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We're here visiting the G. Canyon during Spring Break & every hotel is booked. We needed a good place for dinner & picked this place because it has a little bit of everything for our family. Food is pricey but everything in this tourist area is. I had the salad w/berries w/steak on top & it was amazing (& huge)! Service wasn't speedy but we were on vacation! They also had a guy playing a banjo. We went to their breakfast buffet the next day & it was 'okay' but there aren't a lot of choices in the area. Its in the Grand Hotel which we didn't stay at b/c it was booked.

• Visited March 2013
New Lebanon, Ohio
“Good but not great”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

After a long day of driving from Las Vegas and visiting the Grand Canyon we decided to have dinner at the Grand Star since we were staying at the Grand Hotel. Service was pretty good. I had a hamburger with fries, pretty simple I know. However, the burger was undercooked and I had to send it back. When I got my burger back, it was cooked to my taste. Personally I thought the food prices were over priced for this type of restraurant. Would I eat there again if I was in the area, probably so.

Bellingham, Washington
“Convenient, but expensive”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This restaurant is in the same building as the Grand Hotel, but is open to anyone. The place is gigantic! We were there for dinner in the off season and it was basically empty. There is a huge dance floor in the center and tables surround the floor. The lighting over the booth tables is gnarly fluorescent lighting and not conducive to a nice intimate meal. We were first seated under the "Where were you last Tuesday?" lighting and I asked to be moved immediately - which they did, but interestingly the tables all around those side booths were dirty! We waited while a table was cleaned off. Our waiter was a very polite fellow, and took our drink order - a glass of wine. 10 minutes later (!) we got our glass of wine. (wine list was pretty good, again not great.) Again - remember there are maybe 20 people in this gigantic restaurant - so it wasn't because they were busy.
Looking over the menu - which was basically American with a Southwest flair, was surprisingly expensive. $30 for a filet in a cowboy restaurant? But I gave it a whirl, and well...zzzzz. An Ok cut for a filet - not a prime filet by any stretch...My husband ordered the tortilla soup and the prawn appetizer and he said it was pretty good.
All in all - it is a cowboy/southwest themed restaurant and if the prices were more in line with the atmosphere - it would be more of what you are expecting.

• Visited February 2013
Hemet, California
“Nice place, bad service.”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

They messed up 2 of our 3 meals. Ordered hamburgers wrapped in lettuce with a side of fruit. Got hamburgers with buns and french fries. It's too bad they went through a lot of trouble to make it a rustic but nice place, only to be ruined by bad service. Will not go there again. Many better choices in the same town.

• Visited February 2013