“Don't do it!! You have been warned!!”

Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tusayan
Reviewed July 14, 2010

If Location is everything. This place has one of the best location spots in the area...less than 10 min. from the front entrance of the Grand Canyon National Park. Now onto the hotel....

The hotel and rooms were in the worst shape you could imagine. I have never stayed in a more unhospitable room in my life!! The room was flat out, small (not cozy), dirty, cheap, outdated and just plain cheap! The bed was back breaking and the %#@! toilet ran like rocket ship taking off, not a bad size TV though...

The bathroom was utterly disgusting and the toilet overflowed one day on the way out, the non english speaking staff was able to clean up but the toilet never changed, loud and running all night long!

The pool is absolutely hilarious, (no joke), 15' by 7' and depths of 3', 5', 6' and 9'. This is the tiniest hotel pool you have ever seen and the laughter does not stop there, there is a lifeguard on duty!! hahahahahah.

I chose this place because of location thinking "how bad could the rooms be" from the mostly bad reviews posted I figured maybe some of them were wrong. My reservation was NON-REFUNDABLE, If my reservation was refundable the moment I stepped into our hotel room I would have jettisoned out of there so fast before you could say "Flagstaff"!! Which by the way is where I will stay next time.

Save yourself the MONEY and stay in any of the other great hotels in the same area ( I think there were 4 or 5) all will be cheaper and cannot possibly be any worse than this overpriced, hyped, joke of a hotel!!

1  Thank dglance
Write a ReviewReviews (6,505)

Reviewed July 11, 2010

I stayed one night with my husband in this hotel.
I have to recognize that the localisation is very great when you visit Grand Canyon! It is 10minutes from the entrance of the park (maybe even less) so to start a hike very early for example this is very convenient!
I think that is almost the only positiv aspect of this hotel!
The price is very high (I guess because it is very close to the park) however the quality is very bad! The worst is the cleanliness! It is the first time we saw that in a Best Western: some hairs were in the bathtub so I had to clean it before taking a shower. It was not very clean on the floor in the bathroom either and the bed was a little bit questionable (a few hairs on the pillows).. I think they have a real issue with the cleaning as even the hallways were disgusting!
At least there is a free breakfast and even if it was not the best we ever had in a best Western it was still good. You have eggs, sausages, cereals and toasts.
I was happy to stay only one night and I would definitively choose another hotel the next time I need to be close to Grand Canyon! I'm sure there is better for the price we paid!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler91LosAngeles
Reviewed July 4, 2010

This hotel has two parts to it so after reading someof the glowing reviews, I wonder if they stayed in the detached section of the hotel. I referred to it as the "Bates Motel". It was outdated and depressing. I cannot believe we paid $200 a night!!!! We woke in the am to find half our belongings in the floor sopping wet!!! Water was leaking from somewhere. I reported it to the front desk but got nothing more than an "oh, sorry". Breakfast was A big assortment of items and way more than expected. I don't know if this type of hotel is on par with the area but I would probably not recommend it!!!

1  Thank lisaland
Reviewed July 3, 2010

We had our sights on a different hotel in the Grand Canyon, but that was unfortunately already fully booked. This Best Western is basic, average at best. Our room was in a separate building from the main reception and although large enough, it had kind of a school holiday camp feel to it. Basic furnishings throughout, though the bed was comfortable enough.

The hotel has a few restaurant options, and we tried the Coronado room, which is selling itself as a "exquisite fine-dining experience". What we experienced was not really fine dining, rather more average trying to be more then it actually is. Best thing was the head waiter who pronounced the sauce Provençal as ProvenKal. The food was fine though, but nothing special.

The buffet-style breakfast is included in the price, rare for a hotel in the States, but it's very basic. It really continues the holiday camp theme, where you will have your breakfast while sat on cheap plastic furniture. Best thing about the hotel was actually the free wireless, which is accessible throughout the hotel.

Of course the hotel is close to one of the most spectacular sights on this planet, the Grand Canyon. We only had a couple of hours in the area before moving on to Vegas and decided to drive along the South Rim to Desert View. Something I would really recommend, because it will offer one of the most fantastic views you will ever see.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Big_D74
Reviewed July 3, 2010

We just returned from a WONDERFUL trip to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Grand Canyon Squire is, by far, the best hotel around the Grand Canyon. I had originally tried to book a room inside the park, but unless you reserve a year ahead of time it is nearly impossible. As it turned out, I was happy to have booked at Grand Canyon Squire. It is the perfect hotel for families. I travelled with my 11 year old son and eight year old twins. After a great day at the Canyon (just a short drive away) we ate at the Sports Bar and Restaurant, had a blast bowling (the hotel has it's own bowling ally), played pool and gave the kids quarters for the other games. Don't stay in the park. It is crowed and the other tourists are constantly walking on the hotel grounds. The Grand Canyon Squire is a great value...rooms in the main building are fabulous and the place has everything from a restaurant to a pool to a bowling ally. My kids didn't want to leave for Sedona!

Reviewed June 30, 2010

We knew we would spend a couple hundred dollars per night for a decent room near the Grand Canyon. We were pleasantly surprised by this Best Western, with a large lobby, extensive gift shop, two restaurants, and (most importantly for traveling with two young kids) a fun zone area with an arcade and bowling alley. The swimming pool is nice although a little small. The jacuzzi spa is small and placed in a small room outside the pool area, which is probably great for those travelling during the colder months. We ate at both restaurants. The buffet is overpriced with poor selection and lower than average quality. The Coronado Room restaurant had very good quality food and attentive service. We found it a little pricey, but it was such a relief after buffets and snack bars to be able to sit and relax with our family while enjoying good food.

Oh yes, and the rooms. We paid a little extra for a larger size room. The bathroom was large and had an oversized tub. We felt lucky to be in the main building, where the breakfast was served just upstairs. The hotel has one main building with two wings, but the majority of the hotel's rooms seem to be in detached motel-style buildings. Even in summer, it can get pretty cold in the mornings, so I don't think it would be too much fun to bundle up for a long walk to breakfast. Try to request a room in the main building.

The "continental" breakfast buffet was outstanding. It is the only continental breakfast I have seen that includes sausage and eggs, along with fruit, french toast, pancakes, muffins, oatmeal, etc. The selection changed during the meal. When we first arrived we saw croissant, but when I went back up to the buffet, I saw poppyseed muffins. They constantly brough out varied items.

Overall we found this hotel to be cleana and comfortable. The only problem we had was that they never cleaned our room until we called and asked. The receptionist said she would call us back to let us know when housekeepign would be coming. No call back, but then a knock on the door as we were getting ready for the pool. Awkward for us, and seemed so for the three housekeepers at the door, also. But it all worked out in the end.

We would definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

This is an okay hotel. The rooms are somewhat updated (crown molding and nice bedding and carpet) but outdated bathrooms. However, the rooms were clean the the beds comfortable. The pool was small and crowded and there was standing water around the pool deck, which was gross to have to walk through slimey water. The pool chairs and towels were bad too. The free breakfast wasn't very good, but typical of this type of hotel. The hotel was okay, but we feel we paid about twice as much as it was worth. Very pricey, considering what you get. But, there aren't many options around the Grand Canyon. In hindsight, we would have just driven back to Sedona and stayed at a nice hotel there (same price, much better quality).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tusayan
Yavapai Lodge
#5 of 6 in Tusayan
Maswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge
#3 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn? Share your experiences!