“Worth the price ????”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Tusayan
Newberg, Oregon
“Worth the price ????”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a first visit to the Grand Canyon. We stayed one night at the Best Western in Tusayan and another night at a lesser property. I will say that our room was large and very clean. We had two queen beds and we booked through Booking.com for $178 PLUS TAX. Which made this expensive as far as we were concerned, but I booked it because it was close to the park and all the " in the park" hotels were already full.
Our room was very clean and had upgrades including an I-pod dock and a "clean" remote control, which was wrapped in a bag. The breakfast was included and was good. The dining room was pleasant and clean. The buffet included frozen waffles and premade sausage patties, the usual scrambled eggs and toast. Fresh fruit and cereal of course. I did notice that bacon was missing from the choices. The food was fine, but not really up to the quality that I expected.
The hotel itself is very nice and the staff is very friendly.
We were asked to join the Best Western Point Program and we were told that after that initial stay that after one more stay, we would have earned a free night. So we searched out another Best Western on our way home and stayed there and were told that the information was incorrect. That program was no longer. So we felt deceived. That was not a good thing.
Next time we go to the Grand Canyon we will stay in Williams, which is 50 miles away. The hotels there are less expensive and it is an easy drive after spending most of the day seeing the canyon. The town itself is inviting and has many restaurants unlike Tusayan where the dining choices are limited. Also the gasoline is around 20 cents a gallon cheaper downtown Williams.
So if you plan a visit to the Grand Canyon, consider staying outside the area to expand your choices.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Booked in advance and fully prepaid for a room for 3 nights through a third party website.

Checked in, and CC was taken for "incidentals". What I was not told at time of check in was that over $500 was authorized on my CC for "incidentals." This "incidentals" pre billed and authorized total was 117% of what my three night stay was- including tax.

Spoke with front desk clerk shortly after check in thinking this was an oversight. "Cant do anything until manager comes in tomorrow" Spoke with asst manager that same evening about the problem. She agreed there was a problem, and that this was non standard and agreed to help correct the issue and would speak to (other) manager about it next day.

Nearly 24 hours elapse and I speak directly to (other) manager about the matter. She knows nothing of the issue and indicates that she cannot or will not do anything and then tries to pass the buck onto accounting. No sale.

Senior? Manager then tells me that "I'M JUST INTERESTED IN DEBATING THE ISSUE WITH HER". I explain that I'm not, but that I'm interested in getting the problem that they caused fixed.

So here's the summary-

1) Hotel on more than one occasion agreed that this was their problem, and said they would look into it. They didn't.

2) When I pressed them to fix their problem and make things right for me, they were surly, rude, and behaved as though they could care less.

Good Job, Best Western Tusayan. I won't be back and will encourage everyone I know who travels to Grand Canyon not to stay on your property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Philip K
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We arrived late evening to find a welcome surprise - a lovely and clean Premiere Best Western - the staff was more than helpful and welcoming. The location was perfect - a short drive to the Grand Canyon, The atmosphere and decor of the hotel reflected its beautiful surroundings. The hotel offered a breakfast package - a very crowded and busy time - but it was interesting to be seated with many European tourists. I would definitely return.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I actually quite liked the hotel as I thought the positives outweighed the negatives.

Positives
Location location location
10 mins drive to the Grand Canyon national park.
You can buy passes to the park from the office in the hotel reception (useful to avoid waiting in longer lines at the park entrance.)

Good quality food in the Coronado room restaurant. Recommend booking as we had to wait about 30 mins for a table when we went at 7.30pm. There's a small bar with a good wine list and cocktails so unless you are hungry then not a big deal having to wait.

Spacious, clean rooms (apart from the stains on the carpet) . Not the most modern room facilities.

Excellent games room with bowling alley, air hockey, pinball etc great fun.

Helpful, friendly staff

Negatives

Light brown-coloured walls and beige carpets with a fair number of stains. Maybe from walking boots? I would brighten up the walls and have darker coloured carpets if they can't deep clean them more often.

Breakfast consisted of pretty poor quality food. I would rather pay for a good breakfast than having the only option of terrible waffles, egg, strange meat, stale bagels, watery fruit etc. The fruit juices were ok.

The pizza from the bar in the basement was the worst I've ever eaten.

Overall - I would either stay here again if I came back to the Grand Canyon or have a splurge at El Tovar.

• Stayed September 2012
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Decent sized room with 2 comfortable queen beds. Breakfast was tasty and there was plenty of variety. The staff were friendly and courteous. The room wasn't as spotless as I would have liked dust in corners, slightly stained carpet.The hotel is very close to the Grand Canyon and I think this is reflected in the price, it isn't the best value for money but they have a captive market!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mac7899
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Good hotel just a few miles outside park. Good quality rooms, well kept and clean. Room had safe which seems to be rare in US. Plenty of parking close to rooms. Good amenities in the hotel, with restaurant, sports bar (bar food), bowling alley and games room. The usual shop and booking point for tours etc. Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Restaurant was good, but for the 3 nights we were there, they were hopelessly under staffed, so be prepared for a wait. Asking for gluten free in the restaurant caused problems, however they eventaully rose to the occasion and delivered some good GF meals for my wife.
This was the most exepnsive hotel we stayed in during our trip through California, Nevada and Arizona. Not sure it warranted the cost, but guess this was down to location and proximity to Grand Canyon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Apollo Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I loved this hotel because it was a perfect match for the area. Nice, clean, modern and in keeping with a visit to the Grand Canyon. Not too fancy but with just the right amenities. We had a very comfortble bed and the bathroom with seperate dressing table was perfect for a husband and wife to get their day started. They provided an excellent complimentary breakfast and would even prepare box lunches for your hike. Listening to the elks at night was an unexpected bonus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tusayan
Yavapai Lodge
Red Feather Lodge
Red Feather Lodge
#4 of 5 in Tusayan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,290 reviews

Been to Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn? Share your experiences!