“Everything but wifi. ”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Tusayan
Fort Myers, Florida
“Everything but wifi. ”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean, quality of a motel six in the actual room. The hotel has a heated/air conditioned courtyard with plants, trees, tables/chairs, and hot tub. Clean room. Good for people that have not reserved there room at the village in the national park. We avoided the food because of all the bad reviews and enjoyed our stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
iowa
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Pros: Only
one mile from the entrance to the Grand Canyon national park! The staff was very friendly. We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 and requested an early check in. They accommodated us as best they could and got us a room by 2:00. (Regular check in is 4:00). They allow pets. It looks like the hotel has been updated, was clean and comfortable. Price-- we paid $99 for a weekday night in October which I thought was pretty reasonable considering we are in a very touristy area.

Cons: It's an older hotel. Late check in, 4:00.

Room Tip: If you are here in the fall/winter, I would ask for a room in the main building so you are close to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The town of Tusayan really did more to sour my stay here than anything else, with the over the top price gouging, the rampant crowds and insufferable congestion. Unfortunately the resort here was no exception.

I ponied up $200 to get a room for the night, received a nice, spacious room right by the entrance (very convenient). Somehow someone managed to barge right into my room while I was in the bathroom before they realized they had the wrong room, a very awkward way to find out I had lean into the door with some effort to make sure it locked properly. The patio would have normally been a nice touch, but it just opens up into another parking lot, and the patio furniture were filthy and best off not touching.

The parking lot and entrance is... I don't even know how to describe it. The actual entrance is hidden behind the National Geographics Visitors Center and very easy to miss. The parking lot itself is a narrow series of spaces that make it difficult to navigate through, especially when it starts getting filled up with Greyhound buses, one of who thoughtfully parked behind me, forcing me to twist and turn no less than 30 times before I could finally pull out of my space and escape town.

The WiFi was also nonexistent. Completely and utterly, NONEXISTENT. The same deal with the cellular (I use Verizon) and I'm not lying when I say that was hands down one of the worst experiences I have EVER had when it came to either making calls on my mobile or accessing the internet. NOTHING. WORKED. PERIOD. I actually had to flee, FLEE I say, to Grand Canyon Village and use the free WiFi offered by the general store in town. I LITERALLY COULD NOT FIND ACCESS ANYWHERE ELSE. Not even the Wendy's next to the hotel (which also offered free WiFi). I won't completely fault the hotel here because the dead zone seemed to affect the entire town, but still, if this was a common occurrence, offering wired internet access would have been a welcome alternative and at least brought some justification to the price gouging.

Oh, and no free breakfast. FAIL

Don't stay here, don't stay in Tusayan, don't even stop for coffee on your way to the Canyons. Not worth the price gouging, the crowds and the lack of modern amenities just for the convenience of being close to the national park.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Tusayan hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night. The room was clean, it had two separate sinks in it which were nice. Kind of a weird setup for hotel (it's more of an open setup and our room was right over the jacuzzi and bar area so we were concerned about the noise, but there wasn't any luckily). Great location as it was just a short drive to the Grand Canyon park entrance. The room itself was fine, but don't eat at the restaurant. It's costly and the food is terrible. We would stay at the hotel itself again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was skeptical about this place when I first read the reviews, but decided to try it anyway (mainly because it's your only choice unless you actually want to stay inside the Canyon park for a much steeper price). As it turns out, I was pleasantly surprised with pretty much everything from cleanliness to the service. The location is just a short drive from the Park entrance and has a couple little restaurants in the area - of course, since they are the only restaurants around, the prices can get steep for fast food.

The rooms were very clean and we never had any problems with any of the things in the room. They aren't the most beautiful rooms in the world and there are no views, but definitely were great for being on a budget. I'd definitely stay here again if visiting the Canyon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel is used to a quick turn round of guests and as it is less than 20 minutes to the gates to the Park it gets busy. The park entry ticket is for one week so you go back and forth as often as you like.

The receptionists were very helpful, we were too early to check in and they had no where to store suitcases (with the number of rooms they have they probably do not have the storage room).

The hotel has a typical restaurant (breakfast and evening meal) with help yourself breakfast (discounted for guests) or you can order off of the menu. The building has an internal courtyard with a swimming pool and bar, music plays (can not hear it in your room over the TV and air conditioning) but it stops between 10 and 10.30 and it did not affect our sleep.

Good bed, bath with shower, second sink in the main room, excellent air conditioning - we did not use at night as once it cooled down we were OK with the temperature as it was. The windows had mesh so the bugs didn’t get in! Its not 5* but more than good enough after a hard days exploring the rim. Right next to the IMAX and within walking distance of several eating establishments and general stores for provisions.

We stayed for 2 nights giving us an afternoon, full day and morning to do the whole rim and helicopter tour. If we had been awake we could have got to the rim for sunrise, but we decided to have a lie in.

Lots of coaches, so used to a fast turn around of rooms and people.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and weren't in the main block, only noise was coach parties leaving in the morning. we liked the food in the restaurant and thought the buffet good value for money. Very little in the surrounding area. Room very clean, although facilities basic. Great location for visiting the Grand canyon and the cheapest hotel on our trip.

Room Tip: Ask not to be in main block
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tusayan
Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn
#2 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Canyon Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!