“Warm and inviting hotel at the Grand Canyon” 4 of 5 stars

Canyon Plaza Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   406 Canyon Plaza Lane, Grand Canyon, Tusayan, AZ 86023   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Tusayan
Zachary, Louisiana
“Warm and inviting hotel at the Grand Canyon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We visited the Grand Canyon in December 2012 and stayed at the Canyon Plaza Resort for 2 nights while we visited the South Rim. The rooms were very clean, very comfortable, and spacious. The lobby was cheerily decorated for Christmas and holiday music played through the hotel during the day. The fireside sitting area was a treat. Considering it was well below -15 degrees at night while we were there, the warm and comfy room was an inviting respite from the cold for our family of 4 from Cajun Country in the Deep South. One of the ladies in the gift shop was kind enough to recognize one of the members of our party as military and she discounted our purchases. She was very friendly. I read many reviews warning me away from the breakfast buffet. While it was pricey and certainly not the best I've ever had, it was no more pricey than the McDonald's across the street and had the added convenience of being right in the hotel, thereby keeping us out of the -4 degree weather (it had "warmed up" by the time we got ready for breakfast. Overall, I was satisfied with it in comparison to our experience at McDonald's. Canyon Plaza resort was a great place to stay as it was very close to the entrance of the park. I am pretty paranoid about unclean hotel rooms and I had no complaints here. Our room was clean and updated. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and the price paid for the room was worth the stay. Tourists beware...do NOT eat in Tusayan/Grand Canyon Village. It didn't matter where we ate...the food was terrible and expensive. For instance, this was the one and only time in my life I've ever spent $46 on breakfast at a McDonald's for a family of 4 with average appetites. Believe me, they know they have you out in the middle of nowhere and take advantage. The businesses should be truly ashamed of the price gouging. From the convenience stores to the fast food, buyer beware. Bring any snacks ahead of time and gas up before you get there. OMG, I could not believe the prices in this town. I'm a well seasoned Disney vacationer. Disney had nothing on the Grand Canyon in regard to price. Your best bet is to plan to eat at the lodges in the park. The food in the park was quite good. I would do breakfast, lunch, and dinner at either Bright Angel or El Tovar. You can't lose with either of those.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

we stayed in a suite, it was more like an apartment with a bedroom and a living room. we really liked it. the only issue was it was hard to heat the inside, but after having the heater on for an hour, it was solved. very close to grand canyon park.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here cause its close to the park. It was really nice, clean and friendly!! The restaurant was a little pricey for what I would call mid grade food....but your not really gonna find anything better around Tusayan! Theres a restaurant in the park at the bright Angel resort, it was much better food and fairly reasonably priced also!! All in all our stay her was a pleasant one!!

Room Tip: The rooms that have access to the inside corridor are much nicer, in our opinion!!
1 Thank Chelle0255
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was one of the hotels I stayed in during my long trip. It was the only one that had bad reviews but I thought it's only 2 nights why not. Well reading some of those reviews again I can echo their comments. Very dirty place. Great for college kids but if you have any self respect you won't stay here.

I'll start with the small issue and work my way up.

1. No WIFI even though they advertise it. It's only in the lobby. They're making it seem like it's available in the rooms. False advertising.

2. Staff is very rude and just hangs up after answering your question. Who hires these people?

3. Don't expect to get refilled on your coffee supplies during your stay. What you have when you check in is what you have.

4. This one is just plain disgusting and unsanitary. When I checked in the toilet was clogged. I left a note for the cleaning crew to unclog it. I was away the entire day and came back late at night. See my photo. The cleaning crew unclogged the toilet but left whatever was clogging it all over the bathroom floor. I immediately called the rude front desk staff and they sent a cleaning guy up. The did not offer me a new room. I spoke with assistant to general manager Teresa Weigel and even though she admitted I should have been offered a room she refused any kind or refund. General Manager Ann Wren-Serna was unavailable and by the looks of it is always unavailable.

Stay away from this place. There are plenty of other choices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dom D
teresaweigel, Assistant to General Manager at Canyon Plaza Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for staying at Canyon Plaza Resort and leaving your feedback. We apologize that your most recent experience with us was less than satisfactory for you. We apologize for the inconvenience and we should have made sure the room was thoroughly clean. In regards to Wi-Fi availability, we have made changes to ensure it is available to all our guests in all rooms. Regarding the coffee, our staff replenishes the coffee every day unless there is a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. If one of our staff does forget to replenish your coffee, the housekeeping staff or front desk staff will bring you more. Our customers are extremely important to us and we want to make it up to you. If you would like to further discuss this issue, feel free to contact us directly 928-638-2673.

Travelers are raving about these Tusayan hotels

Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We spent one night here travelling from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon.
Simple place, not renovated in a while, the closest place to the entrance to the park.
Not really the place you want to stay for an extended period of time.
There are cabins inside the park, but they are more expensive and good luck finding them, check if you did not yet.
I think this property has a pool, did not check it.
Used by schools in their trips, but very quiet.
Cannot say anything bad over all. I would have liked a breakfast included.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank latakia
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed overnight in unexpected circumstances. Front desk staff were very courteous and helpful. They were mindful of our situation and did everything possible to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Will highly recommend this hotel for going out of the way to assist their guests.

1 Thank Jyoti S
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Our stay was nice though just slept, showered and the got on the road.
We thought the room was okay. There as a balcony we could of sat out on. We watched a little tv. You could watch movies for a price (we didn't). The bed was comfortable and had a lot of pillows. They do not offer any free breakfast. They have restaurant onsite but we didn't eat there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank S2R27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tusayan
Yavapai Lodge
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park
4.0 of 5 stars 2,307 reviews
The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon

Been to Canyon Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!